PDA

View Full Version : Dlink WBR-1310- act as adapter?

shooter05
10-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi all
I tried searching but no avail. I have the router listed above and was wondering if I can set it up as an adapter? I want to provide access to the internet to a desktop that I can't run a cat5 to. Is that what its called? I can get a wireless connection there but was trying to do it without spending more money. I know some wireless routers can be configured this way but not sure how to find out which ones.

SgtM
10-09-2007, 02:12 AM
What kind of adapter do you mean? If you already have a router, then just add a wireless access point (WAP). Putting ANOTHER router in there would be another collision/broadcast domain, and another point of failure to test in case of network trouble.

Here's the one WAP I recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WAP54G-Wireless-G-Access-Point/dp/B00007KDVJ

Yes, CAT5 cable would be the correct reference for a wired connection. I'll see about getting a network diagram for you tomorrow so you can visualise what I mean.

Luke122
10-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I think he means that he wants to run the router as a bridge; connect wirelessly to an already existing wifi network, and run a hardwired connection from it to the desktop nearby.

Some AP's and routers can do this, but typically they are higher end units. Your best bet is the wireless gaming adaptor that Dlink sells (cant recall model number, but I'll look it up later. It's around $100 (so you would have to spend a bit of money), but the good news is that it does support some pretty high end functions (including PXE if you want to get into that later), and if you plug it into a switch, you can use it as a wireless bridge. :)

-Luke

gntlkilr
10-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I think he means that he wants to run the router as a bridge; connect wirelessly to an already existing wifi network, and run a hardwired connection from it to the desktop nearby.

Some AP's and routers can do this, but typically they are higher end units. Your best bet is the wireless gaming adaptor that Dlink sells (cant recall model number, but I'll look it up later. It's around $100 (so you would have to spend a bit of money), but the good news is that it does support some pretty high end functions (including PXE if you want to get into that later), and if you plug it into a switch, you can use it as a wireless bridge. :)

-Luke

Its the DGL-4300. I have it. The bridging portion of the software is pretty limited, but it can work if you work it a bit.

Besides, if you get a decent adapter like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127136), it'll work just fine, and its cheaper.

shooter05
10-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Luke122 is right. I had this router already and wanted to make it into an access point. Luke I might as well send my questions to you. You always have the answers I need, Thanks man!
I am familiar with networking and such but just didn't know enough about making a router into a bridge. Thanks all!
Luke122 I'm giving you some rep man cause you have helped me multiple times already.

Luke122
10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Haha, no problem. :)