PDA

View Full Version : Some modding advice needed for the Lian Li v2100

Shane33
08-10-2005, 06:54 AM
For my first mod i want to put something simple in. I figured since my V2100 has bit of a dead zone above my graphic card i will put an intake fan on the top. Im think a 120mm fan since my case is big. Now the only tool i have is a dremel. I have seen some guides on blowholes using dremels, but they all seem to be dealing with thin metals compared to the Lian li. Before i go and stuff something seriously up, can some one tell me if the V2100 is easy enough to cut with a multipro 395 dremel with reinforced cut off wheels? Also im a bit lazy, and as i have a drill bit with my dremel will i be able to drill my case with the drill bit by hand?
Thanks

richmandudeus
08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Im not sure how thick the case is but if it's aluminum, you can cut it. Just takes a bit of patience. My case is alluminum and i cut out the thundercats insignia on the side (i don't like thundercats, just their sign) with a dremel and i admit that it takes a bit of steadiness to work a circle with that tool. I used high grade sanding disks with the dremel and went through them like breathing air. I didn't use any dril bits for the design what so ever so i guess to answer your question, yes. You can do it by hand.
Here is a pic of what i did...
Thundercats sign (http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=279366)

Hope this helps some. If i come across anymore tips, i'll be sure to let you know or if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

slaveofconvention
08-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Bearing in mind you always have to be careful when cutting metal, what I tend to do, using a dremel clone and non-reinforced disks, is slighty undercut then use sanding bits to grind it out to the correct size. The thing with a hole is, it's an awful lot easier to make one bigger but making one smaller is a whole different ball game. Drilling is also not a problem, but again, you might want to consider going smaller first. Drill a pilot hole with the smallest bit you have, then use that to make sure you get a nice clean cut overall. Speed is important. If you go too slow, you risk damaging the bit and the drill, too fast and you can end up with a ragged edge, or worse, a dent where you hit the case with the actual drill itself. Try to stay in the middle and dont put too much pressure on - let the drill do the work for you. This also applies to dremmeling - the harder you push, the more likely you are to slip, and the less cutting you'll get done with a disk - take your time, work thru in layers if possible, so make a groove first, then deepen it until you happen to go all the way through. Patience is everything - rush it and you WILL make a mess

Shane33
08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info, i think it will help a lot.

obsidian_jaguar
11-22-2005, 12:55 AM
I have this really cool case , one problem my DFI lanPARTY -DR has 4 upfront usb ports .. soo . I kinda had this crazy idea that if I took out the front USB bezel , and replaced it one from some other case that had 4 upfront USB .. that would work .. would it or could it . or is there a better way ? ta for help chaps :)