PDA

View Full Version : pc & monitor in 1

Silver.Draco
08-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I've been thinking about building a pc inside a monitor and adding a working LCD screen in front of it to make it look like a normal CRT monitor.

I've got a few idea's about how to build the mod.

1e I'd take a old 17 inch or 20 inch monitor and take the hardware out, so i'd have an empty shell.

2e I'd build a metal structure inside the monitor to support the pc hardware and the LCD screen and making a sort of wall to sepparate the hardware from the LCD screen.

3e I'll try to build all the hardware on the metal structure and try to make it fit inside the CRT monitor's shell. I'll also try to fit the LCD monitor on the metal structure.

4e Creating the look of the monitor and getting everything to work just right.

These are the major lines of the things I have to do for this project. Of coarse I have to start with preparations to see if everything wil fit and al that.

My question for you is:
Do you got any hints or tips or advise about this project?

Sinds this wil be my first major project I could use all the help I can get.
The smaller project I did before this one was only a simple paintjob and cutting a side panel. Nothing as big as this.

Thx in advance for you help.

A starting case modder.
Silver.Draco

Aero
08-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Be carefull when taking apart the CRT, I hear they can hold a charge for long after they are unplugged.

weirdguy
08-10-2005, 07:07 PM
before you open up the CRT, vut off the two top pins on the plug, leaving only the grounding pin. then plug that in, all of the power will go away.....

but leave it plugged in for about 2 weeks just to be sure.

and, it's called a mac

pointedsirforky
08-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Before you touch ANYTHING read:

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/232/2/ (mac or not, monitors are all designed the same way)

http://www.playvectrex.com/shoptalk/discharge/discharge_f.htm
Quote: "CAUTION: Failure to properly perform the above procedure properly could result in a voltage shock, bodily harm and or death."

Yes, it could. However, it is not a difficult procedure, so, use good judgement and be safe.

Aero
08-10-2005, 11:24 PM
CAUTION: First the picture tube must be discharged to avoid electrical shock of perhaps 5000 - 7000 volts!

*sigh*

Isn't it known that its not the voltage that can hurt you, but the current or Amps.

Silver.Draco
08-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys,

I'm going to think this over real good before actualy atempting it myself.
I may even go to a professional to have te monitor taken apart.

First I have to find a monitor to work with. I'm tninking of a 20 inch monitor since it might be big enough to hold an ATX motherboard. I can only be sure after measuring it.

I'll keep you all posted.

Silver.Draco
08-11-2005, 05:32 AM
before you open up the CRT, vut off the two top pins on the plug, leaving only the grounding pin. then plug that in, all of the power will go away.....

but leave it plugged in for about 2 weeks just to be sure.

and, it's called a mac

2 pins? In live in Europe (the netherlands to be precise) And we only have 2 pins. I guesse That would mean I only hjave to remove on of the pins.

Aero
08-11-2005, 10:26 AM
You need a ground pin, so I don't think that would work unless you guys have some system to ground the monitor. AlsoI think anything larger than a 17 inch shgould be fine, I have a 15 in CRT next to my 19 inch LCD, it looks like that will fit an ATX but 17 should be fine. Its up to you,m just remember the larger CRT you buy the larger the LCD you will need to put inside.

Silver.Draco
08-11-2005, 10:57 AM
You need a ground pin, so I don't think that would work unless you guys have some system to ground the monitor. AlsoI think anything larger than a 17 inch shgould be fine, I have a 15 in CRT next to my 19 inch LCD, it looks like that will fit an ATX but 17 should be fine. Its up to you,m just remember the larger CRT you buy the larger the LCD you will need to put inside.

Thx man, Almost forgot that LCD's have a diverent compared to the CRT.
I think I'll take a 17 inch then and place a Micro-atx motherboard in there. I think that could fit. I'll know for sure after taking the massurments.

pointedsirforky
08-11-2005, 01:41 PM
http://caddish.ath.cx/TBCS/german_power.jpg

I feel its important to note that while a good idea... what wierdguy is suggesting isnt adequate assurance bad things wont happen, you must manually discharge the tube to be completely sure.

It will naturally bleed off over time, however that has nothing to do with the earth/ground wire, just current leakage.

weirdguy
08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
just came across this on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-G3-Bondi-Blue-Case-Shell-for-Macquarium-or_W0QQitemZ5801744292QQcategoryZ80039QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Pimptimus_Prime
09-15-2005, 03:15 AM
You should use a flat-screen CRT because the frame of a standard CRT curves from the corners to the center and will throw the whole look off.

Silver.Draco
09-15-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't know when I'm going to start on this mod.
The reason for that is because I've got some other ideas for case mod's after this one.

The first one is the "mood cube case mod". This is basically just a big cube with light in it that changes al the time.

The second one is the "fantasy village case mode". this is a case mode with a village on top of it that has elves, humans, Halflings etc. on it. or it's based on a scene from a movie, like "lord of the rings".

Plus a got lots of idea's for each of the case mods. A have no idea what to start with. :?
as soon as I've figured it all out and started with one of the case mods, I’m sure to place a work log on this site.

Pimptimus_Prime
09-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Hey, no problems. :)
Just remember to stay focused and take it step by step. ;)

VoD
09-15-2005, 09:52 AM
2 pins? In live in Europe (the netherlands to be precise) And we only have 2 pins. I guesse That would mean I only hjave to remove on of the pins.

Some countries have two pins some have three.

Countries with two pins usually have a lower voltage than three pins because it does not have an earth wire. The earth wire trips the circuit and cuts it out, meaning that no electricity will run. With two pins there is (usually) a lower voltage - therefore causing not as much pain.

If you only have two pins, then that's all there is meant to be ;) As to removing the pins, I guess you will have to remove both and let it sit. Maybe tap the capacitators with a screwdriver to discharge them - however this runs the risk of blowing up your capacitators.

I hope that helped? :?

Zeus
09-15-2005, 01:34 PM
For all you kiddies at home, Don't do this, for the love of everything you hold dear

Shroomie
09-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Hey...I'm halfway there. Except for the LCD monitor, it'll just have plexi there.

The ancient Hyundai 15" (June, 1991) I cannibalized fits my Micro ATX mobo fine. But it's important to note that it hadn't been used in a few years, so it had decharged (at least, I didn't get shocked.)

And I doubt as if it worked even before I pried it open. (Heh.)

Rankenphile
09-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Don't most LCD screens have a different aspect ratio than CRTs?

Silver.Draco
10-01-2005, 04:53 AM
Don't most LCD screens have a different aspect ratio than CRTs?

Yes thats right. As far as I know a 17 inch lcd is like a 15 inch crt. If i remember it corectly.

[DGN]Nexus
10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
there is a toll that can be made to short the power in the monitor so that you don't get electrocuted...

I found it on a guide at VirtualMods (http://twistedmods.com/article.php?artid=213&page=2). That page should help you clear the charge and stay alive to complete your mod.

snefan
10-17-2005, 07:48 AM
i live in sweden and we have 2 pins with 2 ground "slides" on each side :)
and we have 230 volts btw

what do you think about a 7+ year old monitor that havent been on for 4 years? you think i have to discharge it?

Xato
10-17-2005, 09:14 AM
To be on the safe side, yes. Its always good practice to put safety first, and seeing as how modding isnt something that should be rushed, even more so.