PDA

View Full Version : Vote for TBCS on ModShop.net!

Crimson Sky
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Here is an interesting website from the folks at MaximumPC magazine. Put your mods up against others in the community and take a shot at winning $2000 in a monthly battle. Popular vote is not my ideal way of running a contest, but it should be fun to watch the results.

You even get a neat badge with a link to cast votes for your mod.

http://modshop.net/themes/modshop/images/badge_234x60.gif
(http://modshop.net/battle/38)

Come check it out!

Zephik
10-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey thats really cool! I'm going to sign up now so I can start voting. ^_^

I voted Doom3, but it really was a close call. I liked the other mod a lot too. Your mod is very complex and madly detailed, while the other dudes mod is fairly simple but very elegant looking. It was kind of like deciding on whether you want to listen to Rock n'Roll or Classical, or whether you like brunettes or blonde's. The only similarity between the two cases, imo, is the level of professionalism, uniqueness and beauty. But otherwise, I would say they are two fairly different pc's. ...but out of all the cases I saw there, I'd have to say that your competitor is probably the only one that would even have a chance against the mighty Doom3! PC FTW!

Question: Is the Humidor CL custom built or did he mod an existing Humidor? I can't tell and he doesn't really say clearly. If its not scratch built, then Doom3 is definitely the better of the two hands down.

rendermandan
10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Kick ass. But I'd have to say, that would be a no contest there. -Doom3 all the way!!!!

Luke122
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Jeffrey's humidor was not scratch built, but was an existing humidor with a PC installed in it.

He did remove the hygrometer (hydrometer?) from the front, and add a clock to it, as well as do the cutouts on the rear for the equipment.

I love the wooden look of the Humidor boxes, and have already attempted something similar, but yeah, Doom3 destroys it for detail and fabrication. :)

Eclecticos
10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Humidor FTW!. . :D Just Kidding. .
Someone stole my dammned mayan temple mod idea (http://www.modshop.net/users/jadragon/rig/quetzalmod). . Grrrr :twisted:
O'well I have a better one in mind anyway.

FrooP
10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
can i join when my unit 4 is done? cuz im from germany, does this matters at all?

Crimson Sky
10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
can i join when my unit 4 is done? cuz im from germany, does this matters at all?

I believe modders from all over the world are welcome =) We will go there and show you our support!

FrooP
10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
so the only problem is that it is still a work in progress (its in this forum for those who didnt know xD)

noopypoop
10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
so crimson, u took on the challenge of a wood case but not the max pc challenge?thats sorta wierd, i think this matchup is like apples to oranges, but the max pc hulk case wouldv basically been apples to apples, mor like apples to orange flavored apples:?

.Maleficus.
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
so crimson, u took on the challenge of a wood case but not the max pc challenge?thats sorta wierd, i think this matchup is like apples to oranges, but the max pc hulk case wouldv basically been apples to apples, mor like apples to orange flavored apples:?
A mod is a mod no matter how you look at it. Both required custom fabrication, expertise with tools, and a good sense of design.

NightrainSrt4
10-09-2007, 09:59 PM
A mod is a mod no matter how you look at it. Both required custom fabrication, expertise with tools, and a good sense of design.

Exactly. That competition allows any pc mod/case. Even if they are different, the owners put their souls into them. No need to discriminate by style.

Also, now this is just opinion so ill take response as just that as well if this doesn't go over well. DSC's hulk case mod is an awesome mod. CPU mod was an awesome mod as well. But theres one thing I will point out, I have never seen Crimson challenge another modder like that, even as a joke. I will just leave it as I wouldn't have accepted DCS's challenge either. Even if he meant no disrespect.

But the site does seem cool. Im going to do some more research and look at it some more. Only took a quick glance. Would like to see the details on entry and prizes and stuff. :think:

edit: I don't like how they show who is winning/ "starting to pull ahead". That just makes it a big popularity contest. People who can't make up their mind tend to follow the crowd. I don't like the way the voting situation is done.

.Maleficus.
10-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Nightrain, I was thinking the same thing. If someone had challenged me, I probably wouldn't have accepted, but I might enter a different one. And who knows, maybe when I finish Shark I'll think about it. I don't lose anything, I can only gain.

noopypoop
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
speaking of wich are u almost done with shark? ive been watchin it for about 2 weeks, and i love the mouse paint job u did. cant wate till its done:up:

Crimson Sky
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM

the members have no control over what mods battle with eachother. AFAIK It's randomly generated. I don't see a "challenge" button on the site ;)

And without sounding pompous, the MacPC mod is not in the same class as Doom 3. In fact I made custom PC about an hour an hour ago that I think would be better suited against the Hulk Mod:

http://thebestcasescenario.com/misc/tbcs_mod2.jpg

(hoping deathstarchris has a sense of humor here)

NightrainSrt4
10-09-2007, 11:12 PM
That is classic! I love it. Especially the molex plugged into the power connector...lmao that is funny.

Crimson Sky
10-10-2007, 12:29 AM
:p:p:bunny::p:p

b4i7
10-10-2007, 12:45 AM
haha crimson..... you have too much free time :D

but i think this one would win too... lol

Dilphat
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
haaha nice, now only if the cow had a tongue sticking out. haha

.Maleficus.
10-10-2007, 06:20 AM
speaking of wich are u almost done with shark? ive been watchin it for about 2 weeks, and i love the mouse paint job u did. cant wate till its done:up:
I'm getting there, not really sure when I'll be done though. I have to get going a little faster, since pretty soon there'll be snow all over here and I won't be able to spend an hour in the garage working.

noopypoop
10-10-2007, 08:21 AM
the members have no control over what mods battle with eachother. AFAIK It's randomly generated. I don't see a "challenge" button on the site ;)

And without sounding pompous, the MacPC mod is not in the same class as Doom 3. In fact I made custom PC about an hour an hour ago that I think would be better suited against the Hulk Mod:

(hoping deathstarchris has a sense of humor here)

lol u even addeed the lightning onto it, this would b a close matchup!:):):banana::banana::):)

Crimson Sky
10-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Wow I'm in the LAST of the battles!!! Go run and sign up to vote for Doom 3: Project Mars City! (http://www.modshop.net)

/sarcasm

But seriously, the folks at MaximumPC Can use your help in running their first contest, so please do check it out and sign up.

jdbnsn
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Voted, couldn't resist that sweet looking asian mod! smokin! ;)

Crimson Sky
10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Cool! I voted for that one as well. :p

Dilphat
10-30-2007, 12:03 AM
wow..i couldn't help but vote for the Asian looking one! my brain was like vote crimson...but my body took over and was like "I'm in control and im choosing the asian rig!" lol

SgtM
10-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Voted - D3

rendermandan
10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
you guys are all so funny. Ha, Ha, Ha. -I voted for ya Paul. -You had the wooden case right? :)

Crimson Sky
10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Doh!!!!

Luke122
10-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Nah, D3 totally gets my vote. :D

Sangaku is nice, but man.. d3 blows me away for detail!

jdbnsn
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I seriously cannot percieve any mod beating Doom3. Not that they aren't good mods, but Doom has every element that geeks can't resist. Moving parts, popular video game theme, creepy sounds, smoke, great detail and lighting, and overall exemplary craftsmanship. It's the ultimate PC geek's toy, if I owned it I would just sit in the living room and play with the little doors all day (which I did at the Maker's Faire :) ) It's going to be very tough for any mod to out do that range of nerd appeal, unless the other modders fish around on all the forums begging their friends to vote for theirs (which happens alot).

xRyokenx
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I can see a mod beating the Doom3 one: The next mod that Paul makes, lol.

calumc
10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
You mean this one? :p

xRyokenx
10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
...not exactly, but it does have an excellent amount of detail and surpasses the Doom3 mod by far. :p

Crimson Sky
11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
TBCS WINS FIRST PLACE IN THE MODSHOP.NET BATTLE OF THE MONTH!!!!

That's right, a win for Doom 3: Project Mars City (http://www.modshop.net)is a win for all of us!! Any of the folks posting their awesome projects here can be the next winner as well.

Let's keep the TBCS modding spirit by continuing to encourage creativity through technology.

-Paul C

rendermandan
11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Congrats Paul!!!! So when you say a win for Doom 3 is a win for all of us, does that mean you will be sharing your prize money???

-Just kidding. You deserve it!

-I will be entering as soon as my case is done, If it ever gets done... :)

Airbozo
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Nice Job! I guess my vote DOES count!

Hehe Congrats again!

jdbnsn
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Congratulations Paul! I thought you did a fantastic job building that asian lamp mod, good work buddy!

Crimson Sky
11-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Congrats Paul!!!! So when you say a win for Doom 3 is a win for all of us, does that mean you will be sharing your prize money???

-Just kidding. You deserve it!

-I will be entering as soon as my case is done, If it ever gets done... :)

In a way...YES!! lol.. I will be passing some of the winnings on to our next Modder's Challenge winner ;)

thanks all!

jdbnsn
11-02-2007, 05:02 PM
That would be sweet if TBCS mods dominated the mod shop battles, would really prove that we are the bestcasescenario!

Thanks for spreading the wealth Paul, this next Challenge should be fun!

crenn
11-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Hmmm.... when I finish uni, I think I'll turn one of my concepts into a mod. ;)

SgtM
11-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Congrats Paul.

Scotty
11-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Congrats, well deserved win my friend.

Crimson Sky
11-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Looks like Project Nighthawk is in the November battle (http://www.modshop.net/battle/153). Some tough competition, but perhaps we can pull it off another win for TBCS with YOUR help!!!

Come By and Vote!!! :)

_-KdWK8p8J4

Scotty
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Hot damn if this wins again, they should give you more money for doing it twice in a row.

I like the mod it's up against, but going against TBCS is wrong doing. Have my vote.

FrooP
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
got mine too ;)

Crimson Sky
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Hot damn if this wins again, they should give you more money for doing it twice in a row.

Thanks bro. In fact, the last battle I won is where the cash prize for our own Modder's Challenge is coming from ;)

Luke122
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Ack... this is a tough one Paul.. Hypercube is friggin' amazing!

OK, you get my vote too. :D

SgtM
11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Voted. Tech Daddy has one on there. I voted for him also.

Crimson Sky
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
I voted for TD as well!! . He is cool as hell and always gets my vote. I usually vote for the cool modders, regardless of their rigs ;)

Hey, its my right.

Crimson Sky
11-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Ack... this is a tough one Paul.. Hypercube is friggin' amazing!

OK, you get my vote too. :D

LoL..I know its sweet, I told ya there was some tough competition.

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 12:34 AM
LMAO!!...it was only a matter of time before a contestant on ModShop.net would say something about someone's mom. (http://www.modshop.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) I guess I win!! Yeesh. I suppose this means the guy doesn't like me?

jdbnsn
11-21-2007, 12:59 AM
eeesh....how the hell did he get three visitors a month...oh wait, mom, dad, boyfriend?

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 01:06 AM
LoL!! good one. I was only ribbing the guy, and he flew off the handle. I Gotta be careful with the unbalanced modders out there. I feel the need to go and clean my rifles.

Tech-Daddy
11-21-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm blushing that I made it over into this thread after being gone so damn long! ;)

You guys rock!

Hey Crim.... better look out, Boss is coming for ya! (yeah... right!)
Me and Sangaku are going to beat each other senseless over the Thanksgiving holidays... maybe there will be enough of one of us left over for the next round?
*grin*

"Mmmmmm.... leftovers.... turkey.... stuffin.... "

jdbnsn
11-21-2007, 01:45 AM
I love that dude's Japanese mods, they are beautiful! However, my vote could never be charmed away from good'ole American Muscle! I had to vote for BOSS

Tech-Daddy
11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Course... me and Bod were talking about HomeSweetHome in the last round against Wolverines Flame cube. We were both thinking that was the last round for HSH... and it came out on top!

So, that said.... a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g can happen! So, in my minds eye... I'm still coming for ya Crim! *chuckles*

And thank you jdbnsn for your support! (Remember those Bartyles and James wine cooler commercials??)

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
hehehe...Big Daddy Tech gots nuffins to worry about 'gainst the pertty lookin' wood mods. Honestly tho, I think the Cube is gonna whoop Nighthawk's arse. I'm surprised I made it to the finals.

crenn
11-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Majority of mods are good in their own sense.

Tech-Daddy
11-21-2007, 02:00 AM
That cube is insane. I remember reading it rabidly on bit-tech... the thing is a freak of perfection and measurement.

OvRiDe
11-21-2007, 02:24 AM
I watched that thread on Bit Tech as well, it is truly a stunning piece of work. But when it comes to 2 equally in their own way stunning creations, just like Crimson said, you just gotta vote for the modder you know better.

I also watched both Boss and Sangaku being built, but what can I say.. I am a muscle car guy so you know where my vote had to land!! Plus I really admire the whole Austin Modders group, its truely a bunch of very talented guys!

Good luck to the both of ya!!

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 02:25 AM
I just wish they'd get the word out about the Battles..there are so many of my faves out there that haven't been entered yet. Need to get the Belgian, Russian, Dutch and Italian modders over there. Is it even open to international modders? I wonder if they do straight currency conversions...$1200 is like what, 20 bucks in Europe these days?

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 02:28 AM
I mean seriously...This against the Cube???..or anything for that matter??? Yeesh. I cried over this one.

Darkblade:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/10/darkblade.jpg

http://www.gulli.com/fileadmin/news_teaser/thedarkblade.jpg

OvRiDe
11-21-2007, 02:38 AM
No Joke, that is one deranged modder!! Talent+Skill+Tools+Time+"A ton of aluminum"=Dark Blade! If I remember right he built this over a period of almost 3 years. Thats some serious dedication.

crenn
11-21-2007, 02:40 AM
*jaw hits new rock bottoms*

OvRiDe
11-21-2007, 02:50 AM
If you haven't seen the work log its located HERE (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=76374). Just clear a some time and pack a lunch because its 103 pages long with 2000+ posts.

Tech-Daddy
11-21-2007, 02:53 AM
"Dedication" does not cover it...
"deranged obsession" - yeah, that sums it up nicely.

jdbnsn
11-21-2007, 03:13 AM
I love dark blade and think he did a spectacular job on the design. But all the parts were essentially milled by machine, it's a different type of mod, glorious in it's own way, but I see plenty of other mods on there that are equally impressive for other reasons.

OvRiDe
11-21-2007, 03:29 AM
Agreed.. Thats what is the hardest part to me when it comes to ModShop. There are some many disciplines (scratch built, casemod, themes, materials) that it really makes it tough to evaluate!

SgtM
11-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech-Daddy!!! Glad to see you around again man.

Ichbin
11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Ill have to flip a coin for this.

Heads crimsons
tails darkblade.

Heads it is (I actually flipped a coin lol)

rendermandan
11-21-2007, 12:39 PM
God I can't wait to get my case done and enter this competition just to see how it does. I hope these are still going on when I get it done. does anyone know how long these are going to run?

Luke122
11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeesh. I suppose this means the guy doesn't like me?

Well, first of all, his site is "Casemodgod". Not too much ego there then.

His 3 mods on the Modshop site arent anything special.. and his site is just ugly. No wonder he gets 3 visitors a month. (Well, 4 if you count my visit just now... but I'm sure he'll get a few more based on his behavior now.)

Its just a shame that some people would rather have any attention, even if it's because they are being a whiny bitch.

I love the part about "Your kit bashed, glued on stuff against my, *coughbull****cough* Museum quality builds".

xRyokenx
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
His mods were alright... they just didn't look as cool as the Doom3 one...

FrooP
11-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I would have rather not spilled it this way but whatever, if you want to think that your kit-bashing half-assed glued on mods are better than my original works of museum quality art thats fine...
sorry but..LOL
check out his"original works of museum quality art" (http://www.modshop.net/users/artbytroy/)
dont want to be rude but i mean compare crimson whose mod looks like :eek: .. the cool funny guy... that guy .. yeah i can handle a dremel..kind of "yeaaah im liek teh pr0 evar"
:rolleyes:

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Its just a shame that some people would rather have any attention, even if it's because they are being a whiny bitch.

I love the part about "Your kit bashed, glued on stuff against my, *coughbull****cough* Museum quality builds".

He means this museum quality mod I suppose. (http://www.casemodgod.com/Hell112.jpg) The head of which looks to me, unnervingly like a forensic case study for a botched circumcision.

dexaroni
11-21-2007, 02:21 PM
He means this museum quality mod I suppose. (http://www.casemodgod.com/Hell112.jpg) The head of which looks to me, unnervingly like a forensic case study for a botched circumcision.

Doctor: Cut here?
Nurse: Not quite
Doctor: Here?
Nurse: Better but still not there.
Doctor: Okay, how about here?
Nurse: Perfect, now just move down 2 feet and be careful.

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
rofl..2 feet down!

Scotty
11-21-2007, 02:49 PM

He's the one on a high horse with something like that. I mean WTF is with the head =\... just...ugh...

You can post here asking people to vote, it's your site, maybe if his mods were better, he might get as many visits as TBCS then maybe just maybe he could post and get 5 votes.... The fact you have a great site, with a large community that praises your work shows you have more skill than him tbh. He's crying because you have won one already and could have a second...

[WP@]WOLVERINE
11-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Just wanted to say something here.

Im kinda sad to hear that mods are getting votes because of whos made it rather then the mod itself. It seems to me that the modshop has become more about who has got the most friends and not whos mod is actually best. But i guess that since the modshop allows that and even encourages it, theres really no surprise.

Only thing i can say about this is that it will hopefully die down once the competitions has been running for a while and people has grown tired of the fishing for votes thing. i cant help thinking that if i had just put in some work my mod could have beaten D3 because hey there was just an 11 vote gap between D3 and The Biomech.

Im not saying that my mod is better because i really dont think that it is but im just trying to illustrate the problem here. Basically a guy could take his 20year old rig add a sticker and get his 200 friends to register and vote and he would walk away with 1200 bucks and thats not a good system.

My vote will always go to the case that i like the most. But hey im not stupid i understand that sometimes you cant help but to vote with the heart rater than your eyes. But voting for somebody just because of what forum he hangs out at is just wrong as far as im concerned.

I hope that the stuff in modshops forum doesnt pull the mood down because hey we all guys that love to mod and its supposed to be fun and not some kind of war.

noopypoop
11-21-2007, 03:15 PM
What did he accuse you of erasing?

Scotty
11-21-2007, 03:24 PM
WOLVERINE;155676']Just wanted to say something here.

Im kinda sad to hear that mods are getting votes because of whos made it rather then the mod itself. It seems to me that the modshop has become more about who has got the most friends and not whos mod is actually best. But i guess that since the modshop allows that and even encourages it, theres really no surprise.

Only thing i can say about this is that it will hopefully die down once the competitions has been running for a while and people has grown tired of the fishing for votes thing. i cant help thinking that if i had just put in some work my mod could have beaten D3 because hey there was just an 11 vote gap between D3 and The Biomech.

Im not saying that my mod is better because i really dont think that it is but im just trying to illustrate the problem here. Basically a guy could take his 20year old rig add a sticker and get his 200 friends to register and vote and he would walk away with 1200 bucks and thats not a good system.

My vote will always go to the case that i like the most. But hey im not stupid i understand that sometimes you cant help but to vote with the heart rater than your eyes. But voting for somebody just because of what forum he hangs out at is just wrong as far as im concerned.

I hope that the stuff in modshops forum doesnt pull the mood down because hey we all guys that love to mod and its supposed to be fun and not some kind of war.
Welcome to TBCS :)

The people that Paul asked, here, well the majority, came to TBCS to post or just stare at Doom3. I think everyone on this forum, is amazed by Paul's Doom3 and other Mods. Therefore most of them will vote to see Pauls Mods go through. Just remember Paul isn't forcing any of the members here to vote for his mod, he is asking, which he obviosly can.

TBH if i REALLY like the other Mod more i will vote for it, it's down to personal opinion at the end of the day. I voted for Doom3, well because imo, i preferred it to the other.

I voted for Nighthawk, because i honestly like it alot. It's an inspiring mod to look at, other might not think so but i like it. It's a tough battle though.

Basically, that's like saying Paul can't vote for his own mods (even if you can't or can...). I have a feeling that you would always vote for your own over the other, because you know that vote counts and it might be all that makes the difference.

Paul did nothing wrong, in asking for votes, he hasn't forced anything.

FrooP
11-21-2007, 03:24 PM
total agree with wolverine, what we do is a bit stupid i think, i mean yeah crimson pwn's we all know that, but wolverine pwns also, so did we choose the one we like with the cool mod or the one we dont know with the cool mod,sometimes a "yeah i need to stick to TBCS" is just not that cool, because of the reason that someone registered on tbcs has a case in there.
liek
yeah his mod is sooooooooo cool, lets see his oponent, oh hm.. doesnt look that cool but OH WAIT i know this nickname, hey that dude is on TBCS, like i am..lol cool.. i need to stay true to TBCS so i need to vote for him.. thats my opinion on this, please dont feel attacked ;)

[WP@]WOLVERINE
11-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Im must make it clear that i didnt acuse Paul of doing something wrong because hey its perfectly withing the rules of the competiton. Im saying that i fell the system is wrong. Like i said in my case it was clearly Pauls mod that was the better one. Im just saying that there will come a time where a lousy mod will beat a great one because of this system and thats whats wrong.

Tech-Daddy
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
WOLVERINE;155690']Im must make it clear that i didnt acuse Paul of doing something wrong because hey its perfectly withing the rules of the competiton. Im saying that i fell the system is wrong. Like i said in my case it was clearly Pauls mod that was the better one. Im just saying that there will come a time where a lousy mod will beat a great one because of this system and thats whats wrong.

Bigtime concern as well bro.... It can happen. Once more mods are in the mix and the "props" become more of a defining "who is going to compete", it will be very interesting.

Right now, it is too early. And I gotta get y family on the road!
Happy turkey day everyone!

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Build. Battle. Brag.

See, they encourage this on their webpage. I'm cool with it, just have never been much of a braggart--I let my work stand or fall as it may, on its own.

That being said, I'm sure the folks at 'that contest website' (No clicks for you!) have no problem with a bit of horn locking and controversy among the contestants. With a major 'operating system software developer (ditto) as their billionaire-run cigar-chomping corner-office sponsors, the fact is traffic and money is their bottom line. Again, no problem there, it's just business.

Can a case mod truly be judged by 250x400 pixel images? I think not. Fit and finish is a big part of an exemplary case mod. It has to be seen in person to be appreciated.

Do I always cast a vote based on the visual appearance of a case mod? Not really. But it's my right, and yours, to cast a vote for whatever reasons you wish.

That being said, the nice FedEx guy just handed me a box with part of my prize inside. A spiffy little plastic box from a major 'operating system software developer, who promises me The Ultimate Experience.

OvRiDe
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
That being said, the nice FedEx guy just handed me a box with part of my prize inside. A spiffy little plastic box from a major 'operating system software developer, who promises me The Ultimate Experience.

You know its a trick, right?? :p

dexaroni
11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Build. Battle. Brag.
Can a case mod truly be judged by 250x400 pixel images? I think not. Fit and finish is a big part of an exemplary case mod. It has to be seen in person to be appreciated.

I could not have said it better. There are some cases that just need to be seen up close to be appreciated, for example my friend has a Shuttle that he fit an entire watercooling loop into including a dual radiator, two hard drives, and 8800GTX, and a quad core CPU. Of course, from the outside it looks like a shuttle with some mirage paint slapped on it.

Others, like the Doom 3 mod, do not need to be seen in person to be appreciated. The attention to detail can be seen in plain sight.

One of the main problems that I see with case modding is that people pay too much attention to looks (NOT a hit in any way towards Paul), and not what makes up the system. I am not saying that the parts themselves are the most important part, but moreso how efficient the watercooling loop is or how much someone had to fabricate to fit certain parts within a system. Rigor's impossible modding is a fantastic example of this, it really is a feat of engineering, even if it doesn't (yet) have an amazing paint job and a bunch of fancy lights. He could throw the stock shell on and I would vote for it.

That's just my two meager cents on the matter.

jdbnsn
11-21-2007, 06:14 PM

Sweet! The sent you a beverage coaster?

Dilphat
11-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Sweet! The sent you a beverage coaster?

or a frisbee/ninja star/light reflector
hahaha

xRyokenx
11-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't use CDs for coasters on wood desks, lol. They put a "watermark" under where there's that clear plastic "O"... it sucks. My current "desk" has that on it.

calumc
11-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Don't use CDs for coasters on wood desks, lol. They put a "watermark" under where there's that clear plastic "O"... it sucks. My current "desk" has that on it.

So you're saying that Vista CDs are completely useless?!?!?

xRyokenx
11-22-2007, 07:06 PM
You can always use 'em for shotgun targets, hahaha. I know someone that used those stupid America Offline discs for that.

crenn
11-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll say this again. Vista is not that bad.

Crimson Sky
11-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Project Nighthawk lost by 5 stinkin points...yeesh. couldnt get 5 votes from you people!!!??? j/k It was a tough challenge, congrats to Hypercube!

Scotty
11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
5 points, awh thats crap.

Nevermind Hypercube is an awesome piece of engineering. Now to vote so it wins :p

TheGreatSatan
11-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Project Nighthawk lost by 5 stinkin points...yeesh. couldnt get 5 votes from you people!!!??? j/k It was a tough challenge, congrats to Hypercube!

I voted for you....

Crimson Sky
11-25-2007, 12:12 PM
It's cool..I'm sure if I won again, there would be no end to the bellyaching and cries of foulplay on their forums. far too much tushy kissing going on there anyway.

rendermandan
11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry Paul, I voted for you.

Crimson Sky
11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey its all good, I'm gonna go and vote for TechDaddy FTW!

Scotty
11-25-2007, 12:34 PM
So in other words, you need to make another groundbreaking mod?

Sounds like a plan, Paul, you agree? Ah it's all good when can we expect this next masterpiece? ;)

Tech-Daddy
11-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Aw damn Crim.... 5 votes.... ouch.
Me and Sangaku.... 1 VOTE!! 53-52

R-r-r-r-r-r-r-azor thin!
*blink*

Now it is me and Cold Fusion going toe to toe. It is a great build all on it's own, and I sense another knife fight in the works.

Thanks for your support Crimson, that means a lot! :) Playing the odd here, the people that voted against ColdFusion on the last round, means that there *may* be enough support to topple the foe. We'll see...

;)

Crimson Sky
11-25-2007, 01:42 PM
So in other words, you need to make another groundbreaking mod?

Sounds like a plan, Paul, you agree? Ah it's all good when can we expect this next masterpiece? ;)

I'm officially retired from modding, I pass the torch on to you folks. There will be no more modding works from my shop. Time to move on to new adventures!

Although there is Project: Detachment 3 that I've been musing.

Scotty
11-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Pfft, get out, leave this is a modding site.

No. Seriously. :p

TechDaddy, that was damn close, you had my vote, and will do until the end love it :)

TheGreatSatan
11-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Next month I'll be back in it. I updated all my pics and I'm ready to go! Give me props please!

rendermandan
11-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm officially retired from modding, I pass the torch on to you folks. There will be no more modding works from my shop. Time to move on to new adventures!

WTF are you smokin? LOL. :) Don't you dare quit on us now!

Crimson Sky
11-25-2007, 09:55 PM
WTF are you smokin? LOL. :) Don't you dare quit on us now!

Hehehe...quiting implies defeat--I'm retiring after a sucessful modding career--big difference ;)

XcOM
11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
what ever you do in the future i am sure you will stay around here as this is your biggest project ever, Project:TBCS

And once again what ever you do in the future i am sure you will excel at it and prove once again you can do anything that you put your mind to.

Omega
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Crimson told us in the IRC this, but.

Hmm, Shame, really.

I wish I had the time to whip out a mod (well, and the money too). =/

Tech-Daddy
11-29-2007, 02:34 AM
OMG... wow... FINAL ROUND!!!!
This is likely a compressed voting cycle since Friday marks the end of the month.

Be sure to get out there and vote for your favorite mod, as well as browse the rigs and give props to those that you like! Get your profiles built and get after it everyone!
;)

Seeing BOSS in the final round blows me away, and I'm just sitting here happy and shocked!

Tech-Daddy
11-29-2007, 07:34 PM
It's getting tight folks! ;) (read that as I was ahead, now MaxPC is ahead...)

Make sure your vote is counted...

May the best mod win!!!

Cripes, this is crazy!!!
:D

Tech-Daddy
11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
midnight tonight is the end of voting, THANK YOU to everyone who has participated!
*applauds*

NightrainSrt4
11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
You got my vote Tech-Daddy. Awesome rig.

Scotty
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
You have my Vote.

I don't like the Maximum PC one =\

calumc
11-30-2007, 02:22 PM
You have my Vote.

I don't like the Maximum PC one =\

Yeah, I mean hasnt he ever heard of wire management?!?!?

noopypoop
11-30-2007, 05:31 PM
its so hard!

all these battles are like apples to oranges to me:think:

Tech-Daddy
12-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Excellent job everyone!
I think we are going to see an INSANELY high vote count on this round... good job going out there and having your voice heard!
*applauds*

jdbnsn
12-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I mean hasnt he ever heard of wire management?!?!?

The whole point of Chris's mod was to expose the wires to drive home that destruction feel that the Hulk is tearing the building apart. It's quite a nice mod, but then again, they both are.

Scotty
12-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Excellent job everyone!
I think we are going to see an INSANELY high vote count on this round... good job going out there and having your voice heard!
*applauds*

Just looked at it Maximum PC is pulling ahead :(

Which sucks, as i think its **** tbh. :neutral:

OvRiDe
12-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Well congratulations goes out to Deathstarchris. I love Boss but I can't say that a bad mod won. Anywho, TD was still in the money, and he got him a brand new drink coaster to boot! :rolleyes: Next round has started so make sure you go out and vote.

BTW.. TGS is going up against HIMSELF!! May the best personality win! :D

deathstarchris
12-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Well congratulations goes out to Deathstarchris. I love Boss but I can't say that a bad mod won. Anywho, TD was still in the money, and he got him a brand new drink coaster to boot! :rolleyes: Next round has started so make sure you go out and vote.

BTW.. TGS is going up against HIMSELF!! May the best personality win! :D

Thanks OvRide,
Big props to tech-daddy for a battle hard fought:)
Good luck to all of those in the next round!

jdbnsn
12-02-2007, 04:52 AM
BTW.. TGS is going up against HIMSELF!! May the best personality win!

LMAO!!! this goes to show how much time and effort they are putting into designing the challenges.

Jon

Aero
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
LMAO, thats classic.

GreenSabbath
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
LMAO!!! this goes to show how much time and effort they are putting into designing the challenges.

Jon

Its random...

Oh btw, hey everyone!

armadilloben
12-02-2007, 03:47 PM
welcome to the forums green!!!:)

OvRiDe
12-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey its THE GreenSabbath!! Welcome to TBCS! Does this mean we will get to see some of that handcrafted carpentry goodness over here?

jdbnsn
12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Just looked at it Maximum PC is pulling ahead :(

Which sucks, as i think its **** tbh. :neutral:

Sorry to hear you feel that way. (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/frontpage/?q=taxonomy/term/10)

NightrainSrt4
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
The biggest thing I hate about that competition is that it shows you who's winning in the votes. I hate that. But maybe thats just me.

calumc
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
yea i dont like that either.
I mean, your probably not going to vote for someone if it looks like theyre gonna lose anyway

jdbnsn
12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
One of the things that Paul was saying to me when he was helping them beta test the site was he wished they would have a panel of voters rather than public votes for exactly the reasons Wolverine mentioned, public campaining for votes on forums. Mods are works of art and he did make a good point that a mod really cannot be fully appreciated by a digital photo. I have experienced this when I saw Doom3 in person after seeing it for so long on the computer, it is a completely different experience altogether. I think that the site held the opinion that it would be more successful in terms of widespread notice if the votes were done by the public (and from the site's point of view, they were probably right) but it makes the judgements of the battles much more meaningless when people are trolling for votes and people are voting for friends and such. It isn't anything that the contestants should take personally because if anyone does it, pretty much everyone else has to as well. I think some of the modders just threw their hands up in the air (I know Paul did) and said screw it, it's a cash paycheck and might as well try for it.

deathstarchris
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with Jon, the only other point I would add is:
I see it as general advertising for modding. Once enough people
get involved, then you can tweak it and change it.
Kinda like NASCAR in the 60's.
Not fully developed yet.

Aero
12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey its GreenSabboth, schweet. Welcome to TBCS mate.

Tech-Daddy
12-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks OvRide,
Big props to tech-daddy for a battle hard fought:)
Good luck to all of those in the next round!

Back at cha bro!
I think the vote count is self explanatory!

Congrats sir!
-=TD

SgtM
12-03-2007, 07:26 AM
There's some pretty good battles going on this month. Go check it out guys.

Tech-Daddy
12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Currently, it's a game. For those that compete, the rules and winners are dictated by vote totals. The first time a POS is elected to the winners circle, they will see what needs to change. Kinda like "american idol? There was a group of people out there whose sole purpose for breathing was to vote the opposite of who was performing well...

Same concept could happen here.

I *knew* that MaxPC was going to pull a lot of votes, and I was going to need a boatload in order to compete. On my trolling posts, I think I did a decent job of stating that people needed to go out and vote to support the contest, and to vote for the mod they wanted to win. Some of my friends that I campaigned for voted for MacPC, and I knew they would. So did some of my forum postings.

I think trolling is not a bad tactic *if* it is left openended and allows the reader to make a true, subjective choice, instead of pulling the heartstrings and guilting someone into voting a certain way. I hate that crap.

Currently, the way the game is played, trolling for votes is acceptable and expected. They want traffic. They want a large registered userbase so that they can use the to show growth and as leverage for ad $$$$. Don't forget, this is a biz to them, and a unique opprotunity for us.

That said, there is rumored to be changes coming next year for 2008. We'll see what happens.

I will hopefully have my next mod completed in the coming weeks, get it online and battling. See if I can pull off a TGS and battle myself for a round or two! ;)

deathstarchris
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Well put Tech-Daddy,

I knew you are more well known and have a huge fan base, so I too did the same and pushed people to go and vote for the best mod. A few of my friends are gear heads and I knew that some of them would vote for your mod as well.

After you have established relationships with modders, it becomes hard not to be biased. I think after enough mods sign up and enough modders sign up, and a few changes, like classes and tweaks to the bracketing, I think it will really take off.

This site is a great place to push newbies and the established echelon to get out there and compete.

BTW I can't wait to see your next mod TD:)

Tech-Daddy
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
My fan is a 13" oscelating unit with a crumpled leg on the base... not sure you want to go comparing....
*ding*

"Ohhhhhhhhh!"
;)

TheGreatSatan
12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
It's got the hulk in it. To me it shouldn't have gotten past the first round.

deathstarchris
12-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Oh, TD here's my biggest fan. Right on que.

jdbnsn
12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I agree with Tech-daddy 100% on his comments about the modshop. I think at this stage that is exactly what it is, a game with a cash prize. Since the voting system is ill-conceived for a genuinely artistic judgment based of the votes of qualified judges then all id fair in love and war. People who don't even like the idea of campaigning for votes might as well jump in because they could win the game and grab the dough. They probably will change the system like you said "when a POS wins" too many times and they have an established visitor level, they can afford to judge the battles more purposefully.

As for campaigning for votes goes, sometime I'll tell you the story of Jefferey Stephenson (built the Unidyne mod and all those cigar-box micro-atx mods) , you wouldn't believe what this guy said to me when I sent him a courteous invitation to feature one of his mods. He's a bit off the deep end to say the least.

OvRiDe
12-04-2007, 04:42 AM

Now thats really not called for, is it? Not every one likes bones, clowns, or Winnebagos, but that doesn't mean you don't create some really cool mods.

The thing I gotta say that I REALLY like about Mod shop is the fact that it gives a chance for modders to vote for what they like. Sometimes its the Mod itself, sometimes it may be the modder. Either way I feel that I have some small part in the outcome, and its a way of supporting those that I feel have done some very talented things.

Magazine articles, forum features, and sponsors are all awesome, but the other thing I like is they give CASH (and that other thing :rolleyes:) away. I think thats a nice bonus for modders to recoup some of the costs they put into their creations.

The site may not be perfect, but its still new and hopefully with input from the modders, they can evolve into something great.

And Jon, I think Skips problems with TBCS may have started in this thread http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2622 --2nd page. He was alway very cordial to me, but if wanna tell the story I will be listening.. :)

jdbnsn
12-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Skips was nothing short of insane toward me, and I had never talked to him before. But you are correct about the thread, that was the origin.

As for bashing each other's mods...well...everyone told Van Gogh that his work was worthless, but seen by a different angle other's found it to be brilliant. It's clitche, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

P.S.- I actually cannot publicly post what skips said to me, it violates dozens of the forum policies in vocabulary alone.