PDA

View Full Version : a tad bit confuzzled

armadilloben
10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
hey guys i was wondering if u guys could help me with something does anyone no if ddr2 will work in registered ecc ddr2 slots (server ddr2) .

thanks
-ben

Airbozo
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
no.

Different controller and I "believe" different socket.

I will check now on the socket thingy...

EDIT: They are different.

Upon closer look I compared ddr2 to ddr2 FB (fully buffered) and they are different. I will check the difference in ddr2 vs ddr2 ecc, but I am pretty sure they are different.

armadilloben
10-09-2007, 06:02 PM
k thanks but fbdimm is a diff type of memory than server ddr2 and desktop ddr2 i would imagine that fbdimm would be different anyway

Airbozo
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
YEs fbdimms are different, but they are considered ddr2 FB-xxx. I am double checking now, but I am pretty sure that the ddr2-ecc dimms and the ddr2 FB dimms are the same as far as pins...

DDR2 memory has 240 pins. The difference I see in the modules is the key location. Physically the ecc or fb dimms would not fit in a desktop board and visa versa... You can have DDR2 ecc fb dimms...

Trying to get all 3 types together and take a photo now...

EDIT: OK I just physically compared the 3 types of memory FBdims use a different key (same number of pins though), ecc and non-ecc look the same physically (same key), but unless your motherboard will support ecc memory, they will not work. They will not even post.

Thanks for asking BTW, I took the opportunity to learn something...

Spawn-Inc
10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
whats the difference with all that stuff anyway? speeds?

Airbozo
10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Fully Buffered DIMM architecture introduces an Advanced Memory Buffer (AMB) between the memory controller and the memory module. Unlike the parallel bus architecture of traditional DRAMs, an FB-DIMM has a serial interface between the memory controller and the AMB. This enables an increase to the width of the memory without increasing the pin count of the memory controller beyond a feasible level. With this architecture, the memory controller does not write to the memory module directly, rather it is done via the AMB. The AMB can thus compensate for signal deterioration by buffering and resending the signal. In addition, the AMB can also offer error correction, without posing any overhead on the processor or the memory controller. It can also use the Bit Lane Failover Correction feature to identify bad data paths and remove them from operation, which dramatically reduces command/address errors. Also, since reads and writes are buffered, they can be done in parallel by the memory controller. This allows simpler interconnects, more memory bandwidth, and (in theory) hardware-agnostic memory controller chips (such as DDR2 and DDR3) which can be used interchangeably. The downside to this approach is that it introduces latency to the memory request.

ECC memory basically adds one more memory chip on the dimm to provide error correction.

They can all theoretically run at the same speeds, but the latency is different.

There are also ECC FBDIMMS. The ecc and fb dimms are almost always used in servers for reliability.

damn armadilloben see what you made me learn! :p

armadilloben
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
lol