PDA

View Full Version : Xp Sp3

Xpirate
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I guess Service Pack 3 for XP is going to be a reality:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138251-c,xp/article.html

I heard about this at work today and I had to use Google to confirm the information. I'm kind of suprised that they are making SP3, but it kind of makes sense. They are probably going to have to continue to support XP, so they may as well make a bundled service pack for it.

nil8
10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
MS has already stated that they're going to continue to sell & support XP until the middle of 2008. I wonder why considering MS said Vista has taken off like a freaking rocket...I wonder if they were lying...hmmmm....

SP3 will definitely be coming down the pipeline.

XcOM
10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
the sale figures for Vista include copies that have been sold to microsofts OEM department, they have bought them ready to distrobute to various companys like Dell and the such.

This is how they are inflating the sale figures of vista.

Airbozo
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Not long ago our M$ rep came out for a talk with my company. One of the things that came up was vista. He mentioned that we have not sold _any_ copies of vista, and my response was that since most of our M$ sales are to government regulated agencies, they want nothing to do with it because of the issues with privacy and stability and driver support. He told us that vista was the most successful OS launch in the companies history. I asked him to provide me with the proof of that statement and he was a little shocked. It has been several months now and despite half a dozen emails to him I still have not seen and proof. Nor has he responded to any of our emails concerning the privacy issues our Gov regulated customers have expressed.

calumc
10-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Linux FTW!!
But back on topic M$ cant have been keeping SP3 all that secure because I saw it on a torrent site about 6 weeks ago!

Xpirate
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
He told us that vista was the most successful OS launch in the companies history. I asked him to provide me with the proof of that statement and he was a little shocked.

I'm not sure how they measure the success of Vista or the rest of their operating systems. To me, it seemed like Windows 95 had a larger impact than Vista has so far. I'm not giving up XP for running the stuff that only runs on Windows anytime soon.

I learned how to use nLite to build a SP2 XP install disk. I guess I'll be making one for SP3.

XcOM
10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
thats providing they don't mess with the way SP3 will intragrate with your system!

xRyokenx
10-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I hope it doesn't add all that antipiracy crap like Vista has. If it does, I'm doing a clean install and not downloading SP3. But yeah, sounds "neat-o" lol. I think I'll plug another HDD in here later on when I upgrade to Vista, have it tri-boot with Linux (if I get it to work).

p0Pe
10-12-2007, 08:08 AM
would you like to download the file file.rar

are you sure you want to download and save the file file.rar

are you sure you want to open the file file.rar

the file file.rar can damage your system, are you sure you want to open it

YES I AM! JUST OPEN THE DAMN THING ALRIGHT!
typically vista procedure:D

looking foreward to the new xp service pack since the only thing i could imagin upgrading to vista for, would be 8 gigs of ram, and dx 10 -.- ... but until sp1 for vista is out, and the OS is fully functionel im not quitting XP :D

XcOM
10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
im not quitting XP/Ubuntu dual boot,

and windows 98 on my laptop

It look me untill XP had been out for 3-4 years before i switched

Airbozo
10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
It look me untill XP had been out for 3-4 years before i switched

Same here. I think the _only_ reason I upgraded at the time was for some game that did not run on 98. My first XP purchase was the SP2 version. I keep all my original upgrade disks with the XP disks. My copy of XP home has my windows 95 disk as the original... I even waited to upgrade to 98 until after they had fixed the crappy network code. Can you say "built in lag as a feature"!

XcOM
10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
likewise, i only upgraded for a game that wouldn't run on 98, but i am seriously considering going back to windows 98 as i don't play games anymore.

But seeing as i have files over 4GB in the form of DVD images, and the drives are in NTFS, i will need to clear them, and convert the drives back to FAT, and makesure my RAID card has 98 drivers

calumc
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
If your not gaming why not ditch windows altogether?

Zephik
10-13-2007, 11:55 AM

That was my thoughts too! lol

Linux is awesome once you get used to it. Its only taken me less than a month to get used to ubuntu, and I'm a slow learner. WINE puts the topping on the cake for me too, although it doesn't always work the way I want it too.

calumc
10-13-2007, 01:27 PM
At the beginning of the summer I started playing around with live disks and then at the beginning of august I felt confident enough to reformat my windows hdd. I wouldnt go back to windows for all my day to day stuff if you paid me.

Xpirate
10-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Some folks have jobs that require doing stuff with a Windows machine. My dad has to do internet training and the sorry rotten website won't run on FireFox. There's just a lot of junk out there that forces people to at least have access to a Windows machine that isn't a video game.

XcOM
10-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Some folks have jobs that require doing stuff with a Windows machine. My dad has to do internet training and the sorry rotten website won't run on FireFox. There's just a lot of junk out there that forces people to at least have access to a Windows machine that isn't a video game.

Amen,

I have got linux on a dual boot, but 98 is still faster, and just as stable. I also think it looks quite nice (Strange i know)

But i too have applications that require windows atleast, and they won't emulate in WINE, or crossover office, I have tried, that is why i have dual boot atm, XO and Ubuntu 7.04

D1337
10-15-2007, 12:24 AM
My dad has to do internet training and the sorry rotten website won't run on FireFox.

wow, what kind of training does he do? Cause firefox is the second most used browser, only topped by the default IE, which alot of companies and schools use it just because it's pre-installed.

Did he create the site? Or did he PAY for someone to create the site? (link me :D)?

Xpirate
10-15-2007, 07:27 AM
wow, what kind of training does he do? Cause firefox is the second most used browser, only topped by the default IE, which alot of companies and schools use it just because it's pre-installed.

Did he create the site? Or did he PAY for someone to create the site? (link me :D)?

My dad is an auto mechanic at a dealership. He has to take tests on-line for the new cars. The car company he works for created the site.

I had to set up a special login for him that has the security set to the lowest levels. It was a real pain just to make it work in IE. I thought it was going to work with FireFox until I hit a certain area of the site.

I have to use Windows at work because our e-mail is on an MS Exchange Server.

XcOM
10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
i don't really have anything against microsoft, i just think there OS has become too bloated and the such,

I got a windows 98 laptop, 700MHz 256MB Ram running windows 98,
Now my main rig is 2GHz, 1.5GB Ram running windows XP and Ubuntu dual boot,

Now guess which one is faster, Yep, Windows 98. And yes it will talk to my brothers vista machines fine, on a side note, its still faster than my bros FX62 with 2GB ram!

Bucko
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Funny, I'm thinking of switching back to 98se on my 1Ghz Celeron lappy too. Speed it up a bit and will be better for gaming. The games I'm using are all older ones that orginally ran under 95/98 anyway, so no problems there.

I was reading about a stripped down version of 98 a guy made. I'd link you up, but I have to find the magazine I was reading it in. Basically it was 98 stripped down to the most basic you possibly could, and you installed extras from there.
Small file too. Again, I can't remember the exact size, but his next project was stripping it down even further so it would all boot from a 1.44 floppy disk...

.Maleficus.
10-17-2007, 07:42 AM
If I didn't have Windows dependent programs (Games mostly, but Photoshop and the like too) I would switch completely to Linux. All the other stuff I use is cross platform (Eclipse, Firefox...)

And this is why I'm learning Java. We need more really good platform independent programs and games. I don't like Windows, I never have, and probably never will. But I'll continue to use it until more Linux is supported. At least id is making a good effort though; Doom 3, Quake (series), UT (series) were all Linux supported I believe. It's a start.

calumc
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
If I didn't have Windows dependent programs (Games mostly, but Photoshop and the like too) I would switch completely to Linux. All the other stuff I use is cross platform (Eclipse, Firefox...)
It is possible to install photoshop on Linux, XcOM has done it. I think it just requires a bit of extreme tweaking with WINE

XcOM
10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
yes, photoshop will run on wine,

If you use wine standalone, it can be tedius to run, if you use a application like crossover it says it supports PS6 & 7, unknown about CS,CS2, I have CS2 running in ubuntu via wine, took me ages though with lots of messing about.

.Maleficus.
10-17-2007, 06:24 PM
It is possible to install photoshop on Linux, XcOM has done it. I think it just requires a bit of extreme tweaking with WINE
Well, that's still only 1 of many. And, I couldn't be arsed to try.

If I really wanted to run only Linux, I'd just use VMware and install all the programs on the virtual machine. However, I'd make already resource-hungry programs even slower, and it doesn't help the games deal (no hardware acceleration through VMware).

chaksq
10-19-2007, 12:16 AM
I remember when everyone thought 98 was bad, now we know it was the best that MS could come up with.

Edit: screw it I still think win98 sucks who was I kidding, I justed needed to boot up my old lappy for a reality check. Can anyone say linux, now I just need to pick a light distro.

nil8
10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
You guys complain far too much about Microsoft.
98 sucked. 2k was much better, and XP was an improvement on that.

I'm not saying they're perfect and I'm not saying they're the best at everything they do, but some of their products are really good and I'm tired of the mentality of "Linux is better than Windows!"(specifically by the people that still run Windows)

They're different products that work in different ways, even if they are in direct competition with each other.

xRyokenx
10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm actually not happy with Linux, I can't get it to work right... so I'm just gonna use my Windows XP until and after I get Vista. I'm thinking of getting it to dual boot with both. I mean, DX10 is gonna be nice once it's developed enough (I don't know how well it works or anything) as games will probably look and maybe even run better. But yeah, XP is stable as hell for me and Linux would crash or just not work, I've gone through like five distros so far.

calumc
10-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Ryoken, try Linux Mint. I have been running it for a few months now and I havent had a single problem. And it being based on ubuntu it will configure dual boooting automatically.

xRyokenx
10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Okay, I'll look into that later on today or tomorrow.

calumc
10-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Oh i forgot to mention, if you are going to be looking for it to install permanently I'd wait a week or two for the new version based on Ubuntu Gutsy, it supposedly has a lot better feautures and better hardware support

xRyokenx
10-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Or that'll work too, lol. I'm not planning on getting it installed too soon as I don't entirely feel like it atm, lol. But yeah, I'll look at that too, lol.

.Maleficus.
10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
You guys complain far too much about Microsoft.
98 sucked. 2k was much better, and XP was an improvement on that.

I'm not saying they're perfect and I'm not saying they're the best at everything they do, but some of their products are really good and I'm tired of the mentality of "Linux is better than Windows!"(specifically by the people that still run Windows)

They're different products that work in different ways, even if they are in direct competition with each other.
If you'd spend more than a day actually USING Linux (and I don't mean browsing the web, I mean getting into the command line and diving into the system) then you'd understand why Linux has so much more to offer than Windows. If it weren't like this, PC World wouldn't have a new 10 page Linux article in almost every new issue. They wouldn't push dual-booting as much as they do. Open source is one of the greatest "ideas" ever. The fact that the community as a whole can design, collaborate, refine, and tweak programs to their specific needs without stepping onto licensing issues is awesome. How many open source Microsoft programs can you list? Now, if you asked me to do the same for Linux, I'd just point you to SourceForge, and let you marvel in the vast amount of open source, cross platform programs it has.

And like I already said, I use Windows because there is currently no alternative that will do exactly what I need it to do. I'm not that dumb that I don't realize I need Windows to do "normal PC things" like gaming. Microsoft did a fine job at making an OS that "just works". You install it, give yourself a username, and you're done. Everything else just works. And that's what I don't like about it. I'd rather go through all the manual steps and have a fully configured "for me, by me" PC, than have a vanilla Windows install.

It's all preference, and I never said Microsoft was bad. They're a fine company, making millions on products perfect for 98% of the world. However, I'm not one of the 98% they're perfect for.

calumc
10-19-2007, 09:04 PM
I know where you're coming from Mal. Since I've started using linux I've found myself digging around in source code and .conf files and it is fun actually knowing what makes your system tick.
Here (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) is a really good article written especially for windows lovers that may migrate. It's long but def worth the read

XcOM
10-20-2007, 04:16 PM
nice read dude, i enjoyed that.