PDA

View Full Version : Case building materials

MisterChief
08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm sure many of you probably aren't satisfied with just cutting steel and aluminum to mod your cases. So I was wondering, what are the most popular materials for modifying/creating cases? I'll get the list started with a few types of materials:

Plexiglass
Plywood
Light plastic (model kit type, don't know the name)
Fiberglass

If you guys have any additions, please add them to the list. :)

crazybillybob
08-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Light plastic (model kit type, don't know the name)

You mean Styrene (short for non expanded polystyrene)
Or sintra ( trade name for ABS plastic...Comes non expanded and in a plywood type two solid outer layers and very mildy expanded core)
Or PVC.

All are used in moding and modeling.
Styrene will yellow with age (it the uv rays) so give it a good coat of paint to protect it. Sintra will not yellow (the good storm trooper armor is made from this for that reason). I don't remeber all the pros and cons of each off the top of my head....If your woundering do a google search and you'll find a bevy of knowlage out there.

Only thing I see you missing (I haven't used them, but have seen it used)
Titanium
carbon fiber
diffrent types of hardwoods.

Crazybillybob

Aero
08-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Lexan and Acrylic, but thats similar to Plexiglass (different names)

uummm...

Duct Tape
Modders Mesh
Auto Body Filler
Old computer pieces:p

MisterChief
08-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Excellent additions guys, thanks.

Rankenphile
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Titanium?

Damn, I wanna see BillyBob's bankroll!

crazybillybob
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Titanium?

Damn, I wanna see BillyBob's bankroll!

Notice the Line where I said...."I've not used them" but have heard of others using them.... I'm married and I'm paying for a house while my wife finishes school (Veterinary school! ;) ) That's why my mod use allot of "Recycled" Items... I've got a mod in mind that may use carbon fiber and Mylar....But that on is a bit off I've gotta finish my R2 -Srv first! (That is top priority!)

I'm sure someday my mods will use it just not real soon!

Crazybillybob 8)