PDA

View Full Version : desktop just fried itself, I'm pretty sure...

Greco101
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I have no idea wtf just happened or why so I'll start from the beginning.

A couple days ago when I restarted it said I could not boot from the cd... I figured... that's weird... since when would it try booting from the cd drive. I took the cd out and tried it and sure enough it booted up. I changed the boot seq. even though it was never messed with.

The computer was running fine until I just restarted again (once a week or so) and it said there was an error on my boot record. WTF? hit any key to continue... I did and it sent me to my desktop.

I restarted the computer and set my bios to default because I was worried it had something to do with the memory settings since it was kinda hanging at the "windows is now shutting down" screen.

After I set them to default, I restarted and got a few long beeps and a black screen... WTF?!

Now when I try to start up the computer, the fans are maxed out (instead of just that initial boost, then settle down like normal) and sits at a black screen.

My allergies are getting to me so I can't smell very well but I think I smelled some electrical but it may be in my head or just the normal smell of new electrical components being blown out from the fans being maxed and no side cover. I'm not sure but wtf is going on?

Did my hdd fail? Why would the fans be maxed out? and why wouldn't the bios at least come up? I'm getting no video at all.

xRyokenx
10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Open up your case, pull each piece out and inspect it for damage. Hopefully nothing's busted, because that could be any number of things that are messed up.

Greco101
10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm getting "1d" on the PDC

http://postcodemaster.com/index.php?postcode=28&bios_pc=17

http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t24281-8rda-fails-to-boot-with-9800-pro.html

but my video card has been fine this whole time... and what the hell would the video card have anything to do with the boot sector? nvfjkvd

Greco101
10-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I checked the newegg reviews and there was only one other person that mentioned "1d" but he said it's a memory problem. Maybe I chose the wrong bios on postcodemaster? I'm not even 100% sure what BIOS I have...

slytherock
10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
have you tried changing the battery? the change of the boot sequence look more like a BIOS reset...

Greco101
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I just reset the CMOS and that got rid of the 100% fan speeds and started beeping but now I was getting a C1 error (hey, better than not doing anything at all like it was before right?)

I popped out a stick of ram and it posted... now I was getting a 7F error so I disabled the floppy that for w/e reason it didn't auto detect didn't exist... and it booted right up. But now only with a gig. I'm going to try putting the other stick back in and see if it wants to boot.

Would not post when I tried re-adding the stick. I found that 7F is not the floppy, it came up again and told me "Warning, now system is in safe mode.Please reset cpu or memory frequency in the CMOS setup"... I went into bios to see if there was anything out of the norm and couldn't find anything. I exited w/o saving and it booted right up again.

Is this a memory problem or a mobo problem?

Went into the memory timing and changed it from default (even though it ran fine at default when I reformatted, etc....?) set it to 4-4-3-10 @ 2.1 and booted right up with both sticks although now seems much slower.

Spawn-Inc
10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
c1 means, from what evga and others say, its a dead mobo, i changed the thermal paste on my board since i heard its a heat issue. i would try to find cheap ram somewhere and stick that in, don't fry those muskin. if the other ram doesn't work you might have to rma the board.

Greco101
10-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Not experiencing any lag at all anymore and everything is functioning perfectly. That was one hell of a hiccup.

Spawn-Inc
10-16-2007, 12:44 AM
well thats good to hear, when i first got the board running it would/does (its normal) stay on the C1 for about 10-15 seconds and it would scare the hell outta me. i really didn't/don't want to have to RMA it.

Outlaw
10-16-2007, 04:44 PM
My board is the same, evga 680i, the C1 code is for memory. Mine also "hangs" a few seconds at C1 which if you watch it do the memory test on boot up, that is when you are probably getting the C1 unless your memory is bad, then it beeps at you with the C1.

alexanderH
10-18-2007, 09:58 AM
for everyone with the C1 and hanging at memory test on boot, your bios should have a quickstart option which does not physically sit and wait for the memory to be counted and checked. If you enable this quickstart option, or sometimes labelled something along the lines of ram verification, then you should have a much quicker boot process, and should not see the boot screen for very long at all.