PDA

View Full Version : OMFG Porsche Racing Wheel

Indybird
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Right freakin here (http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=210&lang=%3C?=%20en%20?%3E).

http://www.fanatec.de/img/products/pw_turbo_short_01.jpghttp://www.fanatec.de/img/products/pw_turbo_short_03.jpghttp://www.fanatec.de/img/products/pw_turbo_short_02.jpghttp://www.fanatec.de/img/products/pw_turbo_short_04.jpg

its a authentic Porsche 911 Turbo Steering wheel turned into a PC/PS2/PS3 Racing wheel.

Highlights include:
-Full-size Wheel
-Strong, realistic and silent force feedback
-Wireless Pedals w/ 100hrs of battery life
-Separate Shifter
-Genuine Porsche Materials
-LCD Status Display

Check out the rest on the site. Though its $350, the features combined with the fact that only real Porsche fans would buy it, it is a justified price.

Enjoy,
Indybird

Omega
10-21-2007, 12:33 AM
All I have to say is this:

=|

There is no justification for a $350 wheel set. none. Not even an authentic Porsche 911 wheel/shifter.

Zephik
10-21-2007, 12:36 AM
First Thoughts: Freaking awesome!

Second Thoughts: How much??

Third Thoughts: Hardcore Porsche fans, who have the cash to spare, will still buy it.

Final Thoughts: Needs to be cheaper. Maybe $249, preferably $199 or lower.

Indybird
10-21-2007, 12:39 AM
There is no justification for a $350 wheel set. none. Not even an authentic Porsche 911 wheel/shifter.

Though its $350, the features combined with the fact that only real Porsche fans would buy it, it is a justified price.
Omega, you obviously are not a real Porsche fan... :p jk

First Thoughts: Freaking awesome!

Second Thoughts: How much??

Third Thoughts: Porsche fans, who have cash to spare, will still buy it.

Final Thoughts: Needs to be cheaper. Maybe $249, preferably $199 or lower.
Yeah it is a little expensive, but if I had $350 that I wasn't spending on a new GFX card I'd buy that wheel soooo fast.

-Indybird

xRyokenx
10-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Really depends on if you'd use it and enjoy it so you get your $350 out of it. I personally don't play many racing games but would love to set up a wheel for FPS games and driving jeeps and stuff.

Omega
10-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Here's the thing.

I:

1. Own a Porsche.
2. Drive a Porsche
3. Love my Porsche (a lot)
4. Don't play racing games that much
5. Could never justify the $350 price tag for something I would normally buy for $75.

NightrainSrt4
10-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Turning angle can be adjusted in the wheel to 900°, 360° or 180° or in 1° steps by software

Is this refering to how far the wheel turns lock to lock?

The only thing about pc or ps2/3 / xbox wheels is that they are only like 180 degrees lock to lock. That one would be real nice if it really has a farther range of movement.

With most of the ones I use, you turn it 90 degrees or so and you hit the end. I just would like more leway I suppose. Any one know of a pc steering wheel setup like this. And I do prefer to have the shifter setup as well.

That is nice and I would love to have 350 to drop on something like that. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Greco101
10-21-2007, 01:02 AM
O.o

<3

Greco101
10-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Any one know of a pc steering wheel setup like this. And I do prefer to have the shifter setup as well.

It's almost an identical setup as Logitech's G25 setup

http://www.komplett.co.uk/img/p/400/324740.jpg

^ 900° Rotation 2½ times around lock to lock

You can pick them up for 180 refurbished on eBay. 250ish New on eBay and 300 from Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/wheels/devices/131&cl=us,en).

Dilphat
10-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Here's the thing.

I:

1. Own a Porsche.
2. Drive a Porsche
3. Love my Porsche (a lot)
4. Don't play racing games that much
5. Could never justify the $350 price tag for something I would normally buy for $75.

yea, i feel the same as omega. Plus i rather be in my Porsche and drive it and waste about a good less than $150 of gas and drive to my hearts extent. or buy 2 new back tires.

Greco101
10-21-2007, 03:43 AM
I don't think you've really driven a Porsche until you're past the 300hp mark.

I'm not trying to be a dick here... just saying...

NOTE: A racing wheel doesn't compare to being behind the wheel of an actual car... they are in completely different categories.

Also, a true Porsche fan's typical mentality is, "you get what you pay for."

Like I said... I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I guess some of the comments just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

khalie
10-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Looks awesome but the price... bit to high for pc steering wheel.
We pay for Porsche brand :(

Dilphat
10-21-2007, 12:21 PM

NOTE: A racing wheel doesn't compare to being behind the wheel of an actual car... they are in completely different categories.

Also, a true Porsche fan's typical mentality is, "you get what you pay for."

Like I said... I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I guess some of the comments just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

yay no worries Greco, I understand from your point. I re-read my post and i kind of seemed pompous. and for that, for anyone who read my post and felt offended I'm sorry.

*Side note, I have hit the 300hp mark.

Omega
10-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Horsepower marks don't mean ****. My 914 makes just about 120whp on a good day, but it's quick as hell and amazingly fun. Then again, the 914 is basically a go-kart with a 2.0L FI engine and disc brakes, so...

This is correct.

It's also correct to say that driving a real car is more fun. The wind, the noise, the sensory feedback, the adrenaline rush... all the things you DON'T get while sitting at your desk/couch playing NFS: Porsche Unlimited (or whatever the porsche specific one is). Besides. For $350, that's quite a bit of gas or gas/tires. Even if it's only a one-or-two time thing, it'll still be better.

crenn
10-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I know the pedal on those will be crap.

A student who sits next to me in my Electronic systems is currently designing 'proper' pedals will actual feedback (like real pedals).

As for the steering wheel itself.... I'd rather the G25 to go with my G5 and G15!

Greco101
10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Horsepower marks don't mean ****. My 914 makes just about 120whp on a good day, but it's quick as hell and amazingly fun.

No disrespect, but I also thought my Nova was fast until I got my '06 GTO. There's a reason why the Porsche 914 is still a popular car among racing enthusiast 20+ years later. 2000 lbs and 150bhp I'm sure would be fun as hell on a track/ back roads. :D

Well, I know the pedal on those will be crap.
A student who sits next to me in my Electronic systems is currently designing 'proper' pedals will actual feedback (like real pedals).

That'd be awsome! Maybe these (http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/tcbh/1pedal%20assm.jpg) would help?

Omega
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
No disrespect, but I also thought my Nova was fast until I got my '06 GTO. There's a reason why the Porsche 914 is still a popular car among racing enthusiast 20+ years later. 2000 lbs and 150bhp I'm sure would be fun as hell on a track/ back roads. :D

I've driven the 914, a '74 VW Beetle, and a Ford Escape. When I first drove the Beetle, i thought it was ****ing quick. Then I drove the Escape. It's an SUV, but now I know beetles are sloooooooow. Then I drove the Porsche. ;)

It'll still probably be one of the quickest (not fastest) cars I will ever drive. Especially if I still have it when I turn 19/20 or so, I plan on buying a Subaru EJ205 and dropping it into the 914. 230whp, 2000lbs... :D

Greco101
10-21-2007, 05:06 PM
That'd be bad ass... don't forget to post it here a year or two from now haha. []m[]

chaksq
10-21-2007, 07:14 PM
That steering wheel looks great, and the leather wheel probably feels good. I still would never buy one, I'd rather just make my own, it's probably cheaper for me and much more satisfying.

I am not a big fan of Porches. I do respect them, I just don't really care much for owning one.

Omega
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
The image that the company tends to give off is this very kind of proper, casual kind of car.

Sit behind the wheel, and for the most part, city driving etc, it's the same. But you let that engine do what it's meant to do? Oh god, you're in for one HELL of a ride.

NightrainSrt4
10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
One of my dream cars would definitely have to be an '89 944.

http://members.rennlist.com/944turbos/Porsche5.html

I want one soooo bad its not even funny. I should just sell my SRT-4 and buy it. Damn, you can get a 944 used in great condition for like 5g. May not be turbo but ohhhhhh what I wouldn't give.

Probably my favorite Porsche bar none. And I don't know why.

Omega
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't like 944's 'cause they're ugly as sin, but I bet they're quick.

crenn
10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Porsches are overrated. That is all.

Omega
10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Porsches are overrated. That is all.

Drive one. The only thing they're "over" is overpriced.

crenn
10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Legally I can't drive.

I don't have my learners even...... public transport works fine for me!

Omega
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I can't legally drive either.

That's no excuse. ;)

crenn
10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Yes it is.... I get into trouble if I drive and don't have a license.

Omega
10-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes it is.... I get into trouble if I drive and don't have a license.

Find a back road, parking lot, etc. Don't do it often, I've only driven a few times, but it's still fun.

Or just go get your permit.

NightrainSrt4
10-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Ya, everyone has the cars they like and such. I like the styling of the 944. Especially the front and side views. The back is just ok in my book but I love the front of the car. The 944's are quick, especially the turbo version. But they are still slower than the SRT-4 I currently own, but ohhh I would so give it up in a heartbeat.

Indybird
10-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Ya, everyone has the cars they like and such. I like the styling of the 944. Especially the front and side views. The back is just ok in my book but I love the front of the car. The 944's are quick, especially the turbo version. But they are still slower than the SRT-4 I currently own, but ohhh I would so give it up in a heartbeat.

The 944 is what I'm going for for my first car, right now they're selling for dirt cheap. I agree with you though, the whole car has a great appearance except for the rear. For me those rectangle taillights ruin it for me.

-Indybird

Greco101
10-21-2007, 09:46 PM
for some reason I always thought Indybird was in his 30's/40's... lol

Indybird
10-21-2007, 10:32 PM
for some reason I always thought Indybird was in his 30's/40's... lol

no way...I gotta start acting more immature...lol

-Indybird

Quakken
10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I want a porsche, but it snows here. Anything rear wheel drive is just not cool in snow (sure, for donuts in a parking lot, but actually driving? Like, on an icy freeway over the top of a mountain? Very no.)

What do I really want? A wrx sti. then again, who doesn't? Or a 90's Evo. Those things are sick sick sick.

Or a porsche. I'll just be sad when it snows.

Greco101
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Unless you have 60-100g for an AWD Porsche :oP

Indybird
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I've signed up to be a tester for this wheel! If I am chosen (I think I will be because I left a convincing "why I should be a tester:" response) then they will send me the wheel on December 13th (its release date) and I will review it on my favorite forums (Here). The downside is that I have to send it back; but, they offer me a 50% discount to buy it after I review it...

Cross your fingers for me please!

-Indybird

chaksq
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
for some reason I always thought Indybird was in his 30's/40's... lolYour not the only one.

Personally I like the look of a 944 even the tails. Now that I remember my cousin's sketchy boyfriend tried selling me a Porsche for $1k. I think it was a 944, although I am pretty sure it either wouldn't run or was "hot" if you know what I mean. Then my dad's coworker had a 944 she tried to convince him to buy me when we were looking for my car. I think she would have given him a real good deal if my parents went for it, which of course they didn't.

Luke122
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM

I disagree.. I think the 928's were the fugly ones. :)

I would kill someone in front of their own mother for a 1996 911 Turbo S. (http://vista.pca.org/stl/993turbo.htm)

Yes, awd. Yes, turbo. Yes, 195mph. 0-60 in 3.7 sec? HELL YES.

Omega
10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Oh, 928, that's it. Somebody in my town has a 928 with 944 badges. =/

I'll just keep my 914, though. It doesn't snow here and it won't in Arizona either. I might have to be a little cautious in Oregon, though.

Dilphat
10-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I disagree.. I think the 928's were the fugly ones. :)

I would kill someone in front of their own mother for a 1996 911 Turbo S. (http://vista.pca.org/stl/993turbo.htm)

Yes, awd. Yes, turbo. Yes, 195mph. 0-60 in 3.7 sec? HELL YES.

wow, i totally forgot about that year of the turbo. yeah those things are sweet. i saw a couple of old rich people driving them here in san diego usually during the weekends. i get so jealous.

Greco101
01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, months later I got a response for the testers...

(English version below)

Sehr geehrte Kunden und Fans des Porsche 911 Turbo wheels,

Die Warterei hat endlich ein Ende denn wir haben soeben die Produktion der ersten beiden Lieferungen des Porsche Lenkrads fertig gestellt.

Die Federn haben jetzt die gewünschte Qualität und wir haben die Zeit genutzt um die Lenkräder insgesamt 4 mal komplett durchzuprüfen ob alles passt.

Wir haben übrigens 5 Dauertester im Einsatz, die zwei Lenkräder permanent im Spiel testen und zwar 24 Stunden und 7 Tage die Woche. Es wurden schon 1600 Stunden ohne Probleme absolviert und das Lenkrad fährt sich wie am ersten Tag.

Wir werden nun die ersten Lenkräder diese Woche per Luftfracht von Asien aus vesenden. Dies kann allerdings weitere 2-3 Wochen dauern bis das Lenkrad eintrifft.

Ich möchte mich nochmal für die Geduld und Treue bedanken und wünsche Ihnen viel Spaß mit dem Lenkrad.

Es wurden schon ein paar Community Tester benachrichtigt aber wir werden noch einige zusätzliche Bewerber auswählen und in den nächsten Wochen anschreiben.

Mit freundlichem Gruße

Thomas Jackermeier

Vorstandsvorsitzender

Endor AG
Seligenthalerstr 16
84034 Landshut
Bayern / Deutschland

Dear customer and fan of the Porsche 911 Turbo wheel,

The painful waiting comes to an end as we have finished the production of the first 2 shipments and will start shipping the units now.

The quality of the springs is sufficient and we used the delay to double check the products 4 times. Beside that we have 5 game testers which play 24/7 with two wheels and we already have 1600 hours without any problems.

We start shipping the first units by airfreight from Asia this week. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks until the units arrive at the final destination.

Once again, I would like to thank you for the patience and your loyalty. I am sure you enjoy your wheel.

We already selected a few community testers but we will choose many more and inform them in the next weeks.

Best regards,

Thomas Jackermeier
CEO

Endor AG
Seligenthalerstr 16
84034 Landshut
Bayern / Germany

Indybird
01-14-2008, 08:17 PM
I got the same email...Im not quite sure: does this mean I was chosen as a tester?

-Indybird

Greco101
01-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Ya, they kinda make it seem that way but I'm pretty sure that it was just a mass e-mail sent out to everyone saying, "if you pre-ordered one... they'll be there in a few weeks... if you were looking to test them out... we found other people."

:o(

Indybird
01-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Ya, they kinda make it seem that way but I'm pretty sure that it was just a mass e-mail sent out to everyone saying, "if you pre-ordered one... they'll be there in a few weeks... if you were looking to test them out... we found other people."

:o(

yeah thats what I thought :(

damn, I really love that wheel. Though i have $350 to spend on computer stuff, aside from computer necessities, I just don't think I'd spend $350 on a wheel. I'd only spend that much if I was loaded. Its too bad its so expensive, but then again thats the same situations w/ the actual cars.

-Indybird

Greco101
01-15-2008, 05:48 AM
considering you can get the logitech g25 for 250 through TigerDirect. I woulda linked but the site is down atm.