PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)

Zephik
10-28-2007, 08:35 AM
*Fixed*

I just recently upgraded from Ubuntu Feisty Fawn to Gusty Gibbon. Everything is working fantastic, actually, I would say everything is working better and more efficiently than it did when I was using Feisty. But I've run into an issue, a very annoying one that I can't seem to figure out.

When I was playing Diablo II with Feisty Fawn, everything worked just fine, perfectly even. But now that I have upgraded to Gusty Gibbon, a few issues have popped up with either the desktop, or the gnome panels or maybe its the game itself and its resolution or something. I really don't know what the problem is.

Basically, whenever I start the game up (in this case, Diablo II), it doesn't full screen all the way. That is, the Gnome top and bottom panels are still visible with the game running behind them. The game isn't fit between the panels, its placed behind them with only the desktop part of my workspace visible. When I exit Diablo II, all the windows are messed up. Basically, the entire bar on top of the windows (minimize, maximize, close) are gone. Also, because I have my gnome panels a clear color (a very light and very transparent white), so I can see the desktop background behind them, they look like they are imitating magnifying lenses (the desktop wallpaper looks zoomed in slightly in the gnome panels, while the rest of the desktop is normal).

I've tried making the game so its "always on top", but that didn't do anything. I've tried opening the game, then switching the desktop resolution, but then the game minimizes and I can't get it to maximize again. I've even tried using different modes under the Diablo II's "Video Test", but that didn't do anything except make the game not work when I select the 3D option over the 2D option. (was the same in Feisty, its always worked in the 2D option).

Gah, this is so frustrating! I really don't know what the issue is and nobody else has seemed to ever have this issue before. ><!

I really appreciate any help or comments or ideas, so thanks in advanced and I hope we can figure this out!

calumc
10-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Are you using metacity or compiz as your WM?

.Maleficus.
10-28-2007, 09:20 AM
So the game doesn't work when trying to play in 3D? Meaning you don't have 3D drivers installed? That _might_ be the issue.. but I'm stuck on this one.

Try installing the 3D drivers for you card. They'll be better than the standard Linux drivers, so it might fix it... Are you running Nvidia or ATi?

Zephik
10-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Okay... so thats really weird. and annoying too. I wait like a week, trying to figure it out before I post for help, and the day that I do finally post for help, within the same hour, it starts to work fine again.

I just might possibly be cursed or something. lol

Anyways, it works fine now. For whatever reason. I saved all my character info from before (using Feisty), found a .d2 file or something like that, took the file and moved it over to the new "save" file location. I think the .d2 file is just my character right? But... it says Zephik, not Zelroth. Zephik is the single player character, Zelroth is my battle.net character. Okay, whatever, that fixed it somehow, so I'm not even going to ask lol.