PDA

View Full Version : Casing?

Mr.bob
08-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I want to get a new case for my hp, but i dont understand what i need a case that goes over top of it or a new one. i asked someone and they said that an older hp might be harder to switch. does anyone know how i make sure it will fit before i buy it??

Thanks

Aero
08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Basically you need to know the size of you motherboard. Its good to assume that its an ATX full size, then buy an ATX full size case and transfor everything over into it.

public_eyesore
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
my hp is a micro atx, it just depends on how old your pc is.

Mr.bob
08-15-2005, 06:18 PM
thanks, but how do you find out what kind motherboard it is?

public_eyesore
08-15-2005, 06:24 PM
most likely your gonna want a full size atx case, since micro atx cases dont have good airflow, and most atx cases also fit micro atx, so dont worry too much about it unless you want a sff.

Also if your mobo is obviously bigger than 9.6" x 9.6" and has more than 3 pci ports its probably a full atx

[DGN]Nexus
08-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, go for the ATX Full size case, because if you have that, the holes for the mounting pins are already on the mobo tray. This can give you extra room needed for interior mods, such as water cooling or lighting of some sort. Are there any particular designs you are wanting to do, because depending on what it is may determine whether you want an ATX Mid-Tower or ATX Full-Tower.

Mr.bob
08-18-2005, 06:10 AM
okay thanks alot!

Malatory
08-18-2005, 10:45 PM
The Thing you have to watch out with old HP are that, the PSU to ATX power pin outs are not to the standard ATX color/Power code. The made there own so you will have to move the PSU as well. That is what most are warning about.