PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SATA Hard Drive (Shows up as SCSI)

Xtrykr
10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Heya, as you all know, many SATA drives show up in XP/Vista as a SCSI device. Yes, this is common. BUT, here's where my problem lies. I have an eSata HD enclosure (Cooler Master XCraft 350), and in it is a Seagate Barrucda 10 500gb SATA2 hd, which obviously shows up as a SCSI device when I plug it into my PC. The problem is that SCSI and IDE devices do not give the "Safe Removal" option in my device manager, therefore, I can't hotplug/swap my device for quick removal. I have tried to unplug it on several instances, but over time, I get corrupt disc headers, next thing u know it, I need to reformat.

The hard drive itself works perfectly fine and has no errors. My mobo does detect it as a SATA drive in my bios. My interface shown in my device manager says that I am running SATA, but my storage controller indicates it is using iSCSI. I tried tinkering with this iSCSI thing but there's absolutely no options in there that allow me to fix this.

In any case, my mobo is NF41. I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. All my drivers & firmwares are up to date.

Luke122
10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I had a USB enclosure that was doing something similar, and the solution turned out to be a new enclosure. :( There was some sort of hardware fault in mine, and it would work, but would always detect as the wrong device. I ended up RMA'ing it, and getting another one. Then, no more problems. Hopefully there's a better solution for you, I'll look around a bit. :)

AH.. here we go.. bad news. (http://www.cforum.net/forums/archive/index.php?t-128128.html)

Xtrykr
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I had a USB enclosure that was doing something similar, and the solution turned out to be a new enclosure. :( There was some sort of hardware fault in mine, and it would work, but would always detect as the wrong device. I ended up RMA'ing it, and getting another one. Then, no more problems. Hopefully there's a better solution for you, I'll look around a bit. :)

AH.. here we go.. bad news. (http://www.cforum.net/forums/archive/index.php?t-128128.html)

Ah fok, thanks for the link, good thing is my enclosure has USB port also, so I'll use that until foking windows supports eSata correctly :S