PDA

View Full Version : Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

luciusad2004
10-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey guys. I've been in the mood to dabble with linux lately but i'm afraid of formating my hard disk. I got a liscence of windows xp from my school but it was a one time thing, so i can't risk hosing the install.

If i install a virtual machine do i still have to format and partition my drive or does it run from a directory or disk image of some sort? I have to admit that I don't really know anything about virtualization. Also, do i have worry about Boot loaders and all of the typical things associated with dual booting xp and linux? I guess a nice link to a good source for information about running linux in a virtual environment in windows would be good... now that i think about it, google will give me a lot of those so ill check there in to.

Thanks

D1337
10-30-2007, 11:09 PM
its just going to eat up space like a normal application you download and modify, so no theirs no partitioning. you dont need to know about dual booting, unless you try to dual boot a virtual machine... which is just stupid.

virtual machine is VERY easy to use. I wont provide a link but feel free to ask Q's

luciusad2004
10-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Ill look in to it and post up any questions i have. Hopefully this time my idea will get off the ground.

Thanks again.

calumc
10-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I think wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) is the right idea for you, or even just try some live disks

luciusad2004
10-31-2007, 10:03 AM
I think wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) is the right idea for you, or even just try some live disks

Ooooooo. Thank you. I may try that tonight. This just runs as an application inside of windows?

calumc
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
yep

.Maleficus.
10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
VMware! Virtualization at its finest!

luciusad2004
10-31-2007, 11:06 PM
The wubi install went flawlessly. i started it up, went trick or treating (actually just went walking around town and got maybe two handfuls of candy along the way), came home and rebooted. It set everything up for me and now im in Xubuntu.

I chose xubuntu because my machine is sort of weak.

Ill keep VMWare in mind when i get a more powerful machine. Once i get a job i might bump this lady up to 1 Gig of ram and MAYBE buy a dedicated graphix card. I'm hesitant because i don't really want to drop money on an AGP card, but at the same time... if i buy a new motherboard in order to get PCI xpress, i wouldn't buy one compatible with my current processor.

The one thing i don't get is this... how is this running? It doesn't seem to be in a virtual machine. It boots up like a dual boot system but its on a virtual drive? It really confuses me... but im not trying to learn how this works. I just want to finally learn to use Linux.

Overall i am pleased. And XFCE seems nice at first glance.

Thanks guys.

.Maleficus.
11-01-2007, 06:08 AM
It's not virtual. If it were virtual you'd be running it inside Windows.

Good luck with Xubuntu though! It's pretty great (and what my server's running).

luciusad2004
11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
So now that i have everything running, were do i go from here... how do i go about learning how to work with Linux? I signed up on the Ubuntu forums a while ago, I suppose i could just browse around there for a while?

calumc
11-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Id say the best thing to do is set yourself a challenage or a task that you would like to know how to do and dont stop till youve found out how to do it!
If you want to get into the CLI a bit then try doing some of the stuff that you would usually do via a GUI in the CLI.
There isnt really all that much to it, you will pick up some of the CLI stuff when you need it but dont go and try to learn a book of commands that you'll never use.
So just remember that there isnt any part of your system that you can't customise and have fun!!

luciusad2004
11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Alright I guess i just got to figure out what it is i want to learn. Ill probably try and start with some simple stuff. Moving around though the file system, making directories, opening stuff, Installing stuff.

And to be honest, customization is the main thing i like about Linux. I like the fact that given the time and effort i can pretty much make my system to my liking. Nothing is as bothersome as realizing that you can't change a thing about your system. (I mean interface wise primarily, though it is nice knowing i can change and modify other things as well.)

Thanks guys

.Maleficus.
11-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Go to Xfce-Look.org (http://www.xfce-look.org). Customization like no tomorrow.

For starting Linux, the best thing to do is don't worry about it. You can read up on it (like my Linux in a Nutshell guide) but otherwise, it's fine just using it like a normal computer. When you do encounter a problem (not if, when) you can PM me here, post on my site, or PM on my site, or use the Ubuntu Forums. For now, just do what you do, and work on making it look how you want before making anything else.

calumc
11-02-2007, 07:50 AM
luciusad: just came accross this which may be of interest to you: http://linuxbasics.org/
They are staring a course entitled 'An Introduction to Linux Basics' on the forums and there is also a library of tutorials and links on the site.

luciusad2004
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Can anyone tell me how to install xfce themes? Ive been trying to find it on the ubuntu forums but to no avail.

.Maleficus.
11-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Can anyone tell me how to install xfce themes? Ive been trying to find it on the ubuntu forums but to no avail.
Try extracting them to either ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes and then check out the Theme Manager. Otherwise, I think you can install them with the Theme Manager in their zipped format (.tar.gz).

luciusad2004
11-04-2007, 02:58 PM
It is telling me that i don't have permission to extract files to /usr/share/themes

I tried during the week to look for an option that would let me install themes within the theme manager but failed to find one. I couldn't find the other directory you listed to possibly extract my theme files to.

Maybe i am extracting them the wrong way. I used

rightclick > extract to
then when the window popped up i punched the proper directory in to the 'Extract to' field.

calumc
11-04-2007, 03:25 PM
you need to be doing it as root
Edit: is there no add/install theme button in the theme manager? (never touched xfce, only gnome)

luciusad2004
11-04-2007, 03:40 PM
you need to be doing it as root
Edit: is there no add/install theme button in the theme manager? (never touched xfce, only gnome)

I haven't found an add/install theme button, ive looked a couple times now. I remember using one in Ubuntu (gnome?) so i thought I might be able to find one but it doesn't seem to exist.

If I have to do this as root does that mean i have to do it through the terminal?

.Maleficus.
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Yep, as calumc said, you need to be root. Run the command "sudo tar xvzf *packagename*.tar.gz", then "mv /path/to/created/folder /usr/share/themes".

Edit: Or, do "sudo su" before the first command. Then, you'll be root then entire time.

calumc
11-04-2007, 03:58 PM
or yo can type ''sudo thunar'' and you'll have a root view of everything and you can paste your extracted folder in

luciusad2004
11-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys. I got that working. Out of curiosity, is there a command that will let me extract to a certain directory or do i have to first extract and then move?

.Maleficus.
11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. I got that working. Out of curiosity, is there a command that will let me extract to a certain directory or do i have to first extract and then move?
Yes, there is, but I can't think of it right now.

Actually, try "tar xvzf *filename*.tar.gz && mv /path/to/folder /usr/share/themes".

luciusad2004
11-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Ok Thanks, Ill try that as soon as i get a couple more downloaded.

luciusad2004
11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
step 1. sudo thunar
step 2. right click delete
step 3. ...
step 4. profit (by learning the hard way)

Now i see the dangers of root, Luckily wubi is an easy reinstall.

I didn't completely frag my system but i thought i would get rid of theme files for themes i knew i wouldn't use. I apparently got rid of something important because after rebooting i discovered i had no window borders. I screwed around with it for a little bit by switching themes to see if it would bring them back but it didn't work. I just reinstalled, all is well that ends well.

On the positive side, i get more practice by reinstalling my downloaded themes (and this time ill save them to my data partition so they don't get lost if i have to reinstall again.) :D

.Maleficus.
11-05-2007, 07:02 PM
So you got them to install? That's always good.

luciusad2004
11-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Yep everything was going fine until i started deleting stuff. I had a problem with a couple of the themes not showing up they way they looked online but thats a minor issue.

I was sort of lost because when i was browsing through themes There was GTK2.x , some other version of GTK, and then xfce themes... i have no clue what the difference is but i thought maybe that might have had something to do with y some worked and some didn't. It wasn't that the ones that didn't work didn't work at all, just not as they appeared online.

I turned on compositing so i can use the transparency effects and window shadows. I thought that they would slow everything down but they aren't as bad as i thought they would be so i left them on. Windows draw noticeably slower but not enough to be bothersome. XFCE is much sexier than XP.

Thanks guys, I sent some rep to both of you a couple posts back

.Maleficus.
11-05-2007, 11:00 PM
GTK+ is just a library of code written in C+, used with X. I guess you can think of it as a DirectX or OpenGL thing for X.

luciusad2004
11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
ooooh i see. So would themes written to take advantage of this be flashier? And would it also use up more system resources?

calumc
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
The problem you have with them not showing up the way they look in the preview may be to do with the theme engine you are using.
I really have no idea if this is the case in XFCE or not but in gnome it drastically changes things.
If you are getting themes from xfce-look it should specify if they are using a different engine on the download page.
If it does require a different one it can probably be installed from synaptic.

luciusad2004
11-06-2007, 08:19 PM
hmmm, synaptic confuses me, i can't tell what is installed and whats not installed. Does a green box mean its already on my system?

.Maleficus.
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Yep.

You will want to enable the extra repos (repositories). You'll get loads of extra packages. I forget exactly wherer it is, but I think it's under Settings, then one of the tabs. Just enable Universe and Multiverse when you see them.

Synaptic is really easy and helpful once you understand the format. After installing a few packages with it, you'll get it easy.

luciusad2004
11-06-2007, 09:35 PM
After synaptic installs something... how do i find it? Come to think of it... i think i had this problem last time i tried ubuntu.

Edit: Never mind... i found them. It's still confusing how it installs them though and doesn't necessarily state were your programs are going. Id say i probably only found it buy luck.

.Maleficus.
11-07-2007, 08:08 AM
After synaptic installs something... how do i find it? Come to think of it... i think i had this problem last time i tried ubuntu.

Edit: Never mind... i found them. It's still confusing how it installs them though and doesn't necessarily state were your programs are going. Id say i probably only found it buy luck.
What did you install that you couldn't find? Most of the time Synaptic does a pretty good job of placing them in the right menu.

Either way, you can start them from the command line too.

luciusad2004
11-07-2007, 09:04 AM
What did you install that you couldn't find? Most of the time Synaptic does a pretty good job of placing them in the right menu.

Either way, you can start them from the command line too.

I installed ace of penguins lol. It made a directory called games in the usr directory but it didn't place anything in any menus.

If i wanted to start something from the terminal do i just type in the name of the application or do i have to first be in the directory it is located?

calumc
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
just try the name in the terminal or look through /usr/bin or /usr/sbin to find the command

.Maleficus.
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Yep, just as calumc said. You could also manually a link to the program in the menu.

luciusad2004
11-08-2007, 12:10 AM
The problem is though... can i add a link to the program, or run it, if i don't know were on my disk it is? The only clues i found to were ace of penguins went was when i some how stumbled across a list of what Synaptic added to my system.

IDK. its not that big of an issue... if i can find it then thats good enough i suppose. I still have to figure out how to add stuff to the menu i tried a couple of days ago unsucessfully. I also tried adding a little launcher for the terminal on the task bar next to the firefox icon but i couldn't get that to work either.

calumc
11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
just try the name in the terminal or look through /usr/bin or /usr/sbin to find the command
Use what you find here as the target for the launcher

Luke122
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
OT: Debian rocks my world.

I've been all about Sabayon and Ubuntu, and finally decided to check out Debian today. I'm in looooove.

luciusad2004
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
OT: Debian rocks my world.

I've been all about Sabayon and Ubuntu, and finally decided to check out Debian today. I'm in looooove.

Once im feeling up to it, I'm thinking of installing Gentoo on my ibook. I downloaded the manual a long time ago. I'm just not sure if i want to give up OS X or not and my hard drive is only 20 gigs so i don't know how well it would work out if i tried to run a dual boot on it. If i don't install Gentoo on her anytime soon, definitely after i get a new macbook. If i ever decide to purchase an apple product that is. I like to think of myself as OS neutral so i want to have experience with the three "major players" Windows, OS X and, Linux.

Ill try out some of tips you guys suggested and let you know how it works out. I spent last night in Windows land so i didn't get to tinker with Linux world

luciusad2004
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I got the launcher to work and i installed another game and this time synaptic added it right in to the menu. Do all of the installed apps go in to a directory within the usr directory?

Edit: Just a quick little question... If i don't plan on doing any gaming, what do you guys think would benefit me more:

New graphics card
More ram ( I would bump it up to 1 gig, im currently at 512)

It does seem like it could use a little bit of help rendering things. When windows pop up, inside of them will just be a screwy mess for a split second. Not a big deal at all, but it could be better. Would a dedicated graphics card help this or would i be better off with the ram?

.Maleficus.
11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
If you can get it cheap enough, I'd do both. You'll benefit from the RAM no doubt, but there are really cool Linux games out there that require 3D (even though you said if you don't game...) Even like, an FX5200 would be good. Your call. Either would be a good step.

Side note: Check out Warsow (http://www.warsow.net/?page=home).

luciusad2004
11-08-2007, 10:25 PM
If you can get it cheap enough, I'd do both. You'll benefit from the RAM no doubt, but there are really cool Linux games out there that require 3D (even though you said if you don't game...) Even like, an FX5200 would be good. Your call. Either would be a good step.

Side note: Check out Warsow (http://www.warsow.net/?page=home).

I never said i don't game I just said i didn't plan on using this rig for gaming :D. If i had the card i would def give it a shot... i just didn't think i would find any games for Linux.

I wouldn't drop more than a couple hundred in to a card for this thing though since its a pretty old machine and i would have to purchase an AGP card. Another thing i would like to be able to take advantage of is the cool desktop/window managers out there for Linux. I'm a sucker for eye candy.
I guess ill post up my specs:

Celeron 2.80Gh
512 MB Ram (says 448 im assuming the extra goes to video)
obviously I'm running on-board graphics
100 GB Hdisk (two partitions, 10GB cdrive and another partition of 90 GB for my stuff)

http://www.jetway.com.tw/oldweb/evisn/product/p-4/p4mbms/p4mbms.htm
I'm pretty sure thats my mother board. It sort of sucks. The on-board sound doesn't work as far as i know, so i have an old sound card plugged in. I'm not sure what it is, but its old enough to have a joystick port.

.Maleficus.
11-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Then you'll want both eventually. Check out this http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Star-GFFX5200-DDR-2D-VIDADPT-FX5200-TD128/dp/B0000BVV2V/ref=sr_1_7/105-0187436-7222878?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194576733&sr=1-7. Pretty cheap, and would work fine.

luciusad2004
11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Ha, wow you guys are fast... but then again i spend a half hour editing posts. I was gonna ask if you know how much it would cost to get a card capable of running counter strike source. I'm not planning on deleting windows anytime soon, so if i get a decent enough card i thought i would enjoy counter strike (my friends play it.)

Edit... The card you linked to, has two very different pictures. when you click on the image for a larger look it appears to show an image of a completely different card.

.Maleficus.
11-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too... :think:

luciusad2004
11-09-2007, 09:11 AM
To be honest, ill probably spend 150 - 200 on a video card once i get a job...

Im sort of conflicted thought, I mean, If i get a cheaper video card like you mentioned i could just buy 1 GB of ram and the card.

Also, do you think i should just purchase 512 MB and run 2 x 512 or should i purchase a single one gig stick incase i ever want more. I only have two ram slots so if i get 2 x 512 and then later decide i want two Gigs i need to purchase two full gigs. It seems like a nice idea to keep my options open but at the same time, once i get a job i want to build a new rig anyway at wich point I will format and probably install just linux on this box so i don't know that i will need two Gigs.

luciusad2004
11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Does anybody know if it is possible to have a different picture on each virtual desktop? I looked around in the settings but couldn't find such an option.

.Maleficus.
11-12-2007, 07:13 AM
You mean on each workspace? This is what I found.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=69507&highlight=different+background+workspaces

luciusad2004
11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I found that last night actually but wasn't sure if it worked with xfce because the website for the application said it was meant for gnome.

luciusad2004
11-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Ive got some questions about installing Linux on another machine and i figured since ive probably had more threads asking "Should i install Linux on such and such box or no!!!11!!" than anyone else on this forum, i might as well just reuse the one i have.

Anyway, I ran in to some problems with my poor ibook, I thought the hard drive locked up during a "critical security update" and in my frustration (It had been updating for hours... they never take that long, and the machine was unresponsive) I shut down the system. This hosed my OS X install apparently as it wouldn't boot up. I thought my hard drive was dead (i thought maybe that was why it locked up because it was making some ugly noises last nite) but apparently its not as i now have the machine running after a quick reinstall.

So, i know i have been talking for AGES about installing Linux on this machine but i was always held back because i didn't want to lose whatever data i had on her. Well now it doesn't matter because i already lost it so i think this time i may go ahead and put Linux on my ibook.

The question: Do you think Ubuntu (or if i can find a PPC version of xubuntu, then that) will run on this machine.

SPECS:Apple ibook circa 2001

Power PC g3 processor 600 MHz
348 MB SDRam
Video:...Idk its probably integrated all i can find is that i have 8MB VRam
18.5 GB Hard disk

That seems like most of the important specs i can think of off hand

The original plan was Gentoo, I even had a thread about it, but i don't think i have the patience at the moment to figure that one out so im going to see if i can find a more simplified distro. So if anyone has any experience or knowlege about ppc based systems and has any advice your input is appreciated. It's not as easy to find distrobutions built for power pc as it is for the intel processors.

Thanks guys.

.Maleficus.
11-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Should run fine. You should also be able to find a PPC version of Xubuntu no problem. And, if not, you can uninstall Gnome and then install Xfce. It'll take a bit (a long bit) but it'll have the same general idea as Xubuntu.

luciusad2004
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Out of curiosity is it possible to have more than one window manager/desktop environment installed at a time? Is there anyway to set it up like that were i can switch between environments?

anyway, I'll look for a PPC version of xubuntu.

Thanks.

.Maleficus.
11-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Hmmm... that's one I'm not sure about. I think you can though (don't quote me on it though). I think you can do that with the Sessions in the login screen. Maybe.

luciusad2004
11-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I found a xubuntu iso and burned it to a disk but its not working right. It loads up but once i get in to the desktop nothing is right. There are no taskbars, all i can see is the icons on the desktop. On top of that, the desktop is messed up. it doesnt't fill my whole monitor and is sort of "wrapped" around my screen vertically. I can't really explain it. I think i might try a normal ubuntu release and see how that runs.

luciusad2004
11-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Alright, this just... idk... its not working out. I downloaded both Ubuntu and Xubuntu for power pc and its just not working right. I boot up the live cd's and the display only uses a little bit of my screen. I checked the resolution and it said its running 800 x 600. This probably explains why its not filling my screen. As i said on top of that problem, what is displayed is displayed strangely. The screen "wraps" around the top and then down below my screen it displays the top. I have no clue whats going on. I would try to install and see if it just "fixes itself" during the install (idk maybe it will work out the driver problem if it installs to a hard disk) but i can't even get through that because i can't see the necessary parts of the screen. Xubuntu worked worse than Ubunutu, with xubuntu i couldn't even see the "task bars" that would normally be on the top and bottom of the screen. I can't really explain it. Anyway, i don't really know what to do. I may just reinstall os x unless i can find another PPC compatable distrobution. Idk, im just really discouraged right now.

luciusad2004
11-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Should i run a firewall under linux or no? Ive been meaning to ask but didn't want to go overboard with dumb questions. I know that no system is invulnerable, but is it as big of a deal as it would be under windows?

Thanks.

.Maleficus.
11-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I do on my server. Run "sudo apt-get install firestarter".

luciusad2004
11-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Alright, I'll do that when i get home. Is this a guied firewall or command line. I'm honestly pretty new to firewalls (just started using one a couple months ago) and don't know much about them.

Thanks.

calumc
11-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Firestarter is only a gui for iptables which is built into the kernel and as far as I can tell it only has some of the common ports opened by default but firestarter will allow you to make rules a lot more easily

luciusad2004
11-23-2007, 08:32 PM
alright, i got it running. One question i had is. I have DSL, should i have told the firewall to start on dial or no? I checked the box but wasn't sure if i should have.

thanks

Edit: Does anybody around here have a good tutorial or know were i could get a good tutorial for firewalls. I'm looking for something geared towards n00bs. I really don't know anything about them and just run them at their default settings.

Edit2: I did have the firewall going but whatever i did i blocked like, all internet traffic so i had to reboot and disable the firewall. (I couldn't get back in to firestarter for some reason)

It was going well then i clicked "lock firewall", thinking it would lock my settings in, and then i lost all connection. I'm assuming that lock means block everything?

.Maleficus.
11-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Lock means lock internet traffic, ie, nothing goes in or out. Don't lock it; it'll save that stuff itself.

If you want to to start on startup, just add it to the startup programs. I can't remember how to right now, but search around in the Settings for Logon or Startup. Then add Firestarter.

luciusad2004
11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Ok thanks. Does this have to be open to be running or will it run if i close the window / terminal window. I noticed when it was open there was a little icon in the taskbar for it, as soon as i closed it, the icon disapeared. I wasn't sure if it was staying on or not.

luciusad2004
12-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Installed Gnome and surprisingly, its running pretty well. I thought that it seemed sluggish last time i had gnome on here but this time its not bad. Its running at least as well as xfce w/ compositing turned on. Seeing as this isn't running bad i thought i would ask...

How powerful of a computer does one need to use the fancy desktop effects that Ubuntu has available? Is this more ram intensive or does it stress the video card?

Also, how would i get them?

Thanks guys

calumc
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
RAM wise mine is using 50MB as we speak and you do need to have your graphics drivers in good order.
If you're on the newest Ubuntu the 3D stuff is incorporated into it but if you're on anything older you can install beryl of compiz-fusion

luciusad2004
12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Your whole system is using 50MB or just the effects? Here i was thinking i would need gigabytes upon gigabytes of ram to get decent performance... i guess i need to ditch the windoze perspective. I suppose i will give it a try after i purchase a dedicated graphics card. I'm assuming Nvidia is the way to go if i want to use it with Linux?

I'm not sure what version of Ubuntu I'm using as i installed via wubi. Im not sure if they are up to date. Ill find out and edit in a little bit. Also, Im assuming the desktop effects aren't installed with xubuntu are they? I was under the impression that was a gnome thing.

I already have gnome installed, do you think it would be possible to install the effects that normally come with ubuntu or would i need to use something like compiz-fusion. If It's easier to just install compiz-fusion, I'm more inclined to take that route i guess.

Thanks for the reply

calumc
12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd say you have the older 7.04 ubuntu which iirc has beryl preinstalled but not activated, try opening up the terminal and type in beryl-manager.
Be prepared for a black screen if your drivers arent correctly installed.

And about compiz: 7.09 uses the backend of compiz fusion but just has it integrated into the desktop.
I actually prefer the default compiz config frontend but thats the way it goes!

If you have any questions PM me for my MSN :)

luciusad2004
12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Alright Thanks,

I'm not gonna try this just yet because I'm running dedicated graphics and i probably couldn't run it. It also never occurred to me to look for video drivers for my system. Once i get a job and have some spare change I will be all over this. (ive been using the once i get a job excuse for months now.:dead: Maybe now that school is almost out for Christmas break I will actually find one.)

luciusad2004
12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Just a couple quick questions. First and foremost, as i mentioned i recently installed gnome. I like a clean desktop and thus, I findit irksome that mounted volumes show up as icons on my desktop. Is there a way to turn this off? Or better yet, is there a way to entirely disable desktop icons?

Second question:
Now i know that the finder is one of the most hated things of OS X, but it has one feature that i have always liked. Is there any linux file managers that can browse files with the layout shown below.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/screenshots/Finder.jpg

Directories are show in a panel and then, as you access a directory the directory you are moving in to is show in the next panel to the right and so on. This makes it very easy to visually see the path you have taken to a file. I find it really easy to browse this way and i can usually do it without touching the mouse. (I find that that if you are used to the keyboard touching that little bugger tends to slow everything down.) I'm not to worried about all the fluff on the side, thats just commonly used directories wich i find the few file managers ive used thus far seem to have and the stuff towards the top is mostly worthless, it just lets you change views and gives you a few weak commands. I'm only interested in trying to find a file manager that uses a navigational method similar to the three panels seen in the bulk of the window. I don't know if anybody would be able to help me with this but i thought i would ask anyway.

Another thing, were can i go to scope out linux programs? I know i could sift through synaptic but that doesn't give me any real information on what the programs are without actually trying them out. Are there any good web resources were i can check out cool programs and stuff? Nothing specific just a website that looks at all different types of programs just so that readers know whats out there. I guess what im kinda thinking is something like Distrowatch but for applications. I don't know how good of an example that is, i don't really browse distrowatch.

Thanks guys.

.Maleficus.
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
http://www.larryni.me.uk/blog/2007/05/25/addremove-gnome-desktop-icons/

Not sure about the File Manager thing.

http://www.sourceforge.net - TONS of programs.

IndyRacer27
12-13-2007, 11:35 AM
For linux software reviews, I check these.

http://linuxreviews.org/
http://linuxformat.co.uk/
http://www.linux-magazine.com/

luciusad2004
12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks Mal, gconf-editor is awesome. I had no clue this even existed and source forge looks like it might be just what i was looking for. I always wondered what part of the internet all the open source projects were tucked in to. I was never able to find them. Linux is getting more exciting everyday i use it.

As for the file manager, maybe in a couple years ill write my own if i can't find one that offers the feature I'm looking for. It's not a deal breaker or anything, I actually think I'm the only guy in the world who likes that layout.

Edit: AHH i must have missed you there. Thanks IndyRacer I'll check those out.

luciusad2004
12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Question: How do i know whether or not i have GTK1.x or GTK2.x on my computer? Also, how do i know weather or not my system is up to date? I haven't got any update messages, well, since I installed Ubuntu and last time i tried Ubuntu i remember getting updates all the time.

Thanks guys.

.Maleficus.
12-18-2007, 08:20 AM
You have both. GTK2 has come standard for quite a while (since 6.06 at least, probably earlier). And if you want to update you computer, just do "sudo apt-get update".

luciusad2004
12-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Okay, Thank you. :)

luciusad2004
01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I've had this problem the whole time that i didn't mention because i didn't think much of it and I wasn't sure if i was going to stick with linux. Now that i find myself using it more often than windows I sort of want to see if i can correct the issue.

My computer doesn't shut down.

After i tell it to shut down i get the xubuntu splash screen that seems to show the operating system shutting down but then after that is through I get some text to this effect and the computer is stuck here.

*Unmounting temporary filesystems... [ok]
*Deactivating swap... [fail]
unmount2: Device or resource busy
unount: /media/host/wubi/disks/home.virtual.disk busy -remounted read-only
[ok]
*Will now halt

This is were it is stuck. To shut down i have to hold the power button down. It's not that big of a deal but it would be nice if my computer could shutdown on its own.

I was thinking this might be more a problem with wubi and the virtual drives that linux is installed on than it is a problem with ubuntu.

calumc
01-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Well wubi is still only in BETA afaik so if it really is bugging you now might be the time to take the plunge and do a dual boot

luciusad2004
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
LoL, Well, if thats the case i can live with it. I would have done a dual boot a long time ago but my copy of windows was given to me by my university and I didn't get to keep the CD (part of the liscencing agreement in order for me to get it for free). I need windows and can't really risk messing it up. Oh well lol.

Though i suppose this is an opportune time to finally figure out the whole Gentoo on Ibook thing i posted about ages ago. I do have a while till school starts back up and have been pretty bored. I think the learning experience might be beneficial.

luciusad2004
01-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Um... I have like, four desktop environments installed now and there is just LOADS of applications that came with KDE. I either want to uninstall Gnome or KDE. Is there an easy way to uninstall one of these environments and all of the applications that came w/ it or would i have to go and manually get rid of each package that i don't want.

Edit: Ahhh... looks like xfce is broken now. I have no clue what happened.

.Maleficus.
01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Use Synaptic to uninstall one. Search for it in the list, Mark for Complete Removal, done.

luciusad2004
01-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok thanks. I just wasn't sure if that would get rid of all of the applications that came along w/ the environment.

.Maleficus.
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Hmmmm... On second thought, hold off a bit.

I'm not sure if it will remove dependencies for the apps. You could make a bunch of profiles for each DE... That would consolidate stuff...

luciusad2004
01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
I just did it actually and I don't think i did it right.

I circled what i uninstalled. I logged in to gnome to do this.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/screenshots/Screenshot-SynapticPackageManager.png

This is a shot of what i uninstalled from within KDE
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/screenshots/snapshot1.png

Just a guess but I don't think i uninstalled the right thing. lol

I should start installing this stuff through synaptic so that i know what i need to uninstall if i want to remove it. I've been using apt-get to install environments.

.Maleficus.
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
LOL I think you're right. In that case, I have no idea.

luciusad2004
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I got it off. I used sudo apt-get remove kde.

That kindly told me to GTFO but suggested that apt-get autoremove might be able to help.

So i did that and went to cook me so stir-fry while KDE was removed.

Now i just have to figure out what I'm going to do about xfce

luciusad2004
01-17-2008, 07:13 AM
I can't find the screen saver utility that lets me change my screensavers. Does anyone know were it is under gnome? I still have xscreensaver installed because it pops up whenever i touch my mouse after the display is put to sleep so it must be here somewhere. I'm looking all over in the menus but can't find it.

Is it possible uninstalling KDE removed the utility that lets me set up my screensaver?

Edit: After some googling it looks it isn't were it should be in the menu so i have no clue how to access it.

IndyRacer27
01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Do you have gnome-screensaver installed? If you do and it isn't in System -> Preferences -> Screensaver, gnome-screensaver-preferences in a terminal will bring it up. You may also want to install rss-glx. This will give you many more screensavers than the default ones.

luciusad2004
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Do you have gnome-screensaver installed? If you do and it isn't in System -> Preferences -> Screensaver, gnome-screensaver-preferences in a terminal will bring it up. You may also want to install rss-glx. This will give you many more screensavers than the default ones.

Hmm, apparently I didn't have it installed. I don't know were it would have went though. Anyway i reinstalled it and it is back in my menu. I'll install the new screensavers to although, to be hones,t I usually only use basic ones because alot of the screensavers I do have run painfully slow. Thanks!

Now i just to find out what is wrong with xfce. When i try to log in to xfce i get the splash screen. Once i get past that i just have a white screen and i can't do anything. I tried to uninstall/reinstall the xubuntu-desktop package but that didn't help. Google didn't help me either.

Edit: After playing around I had a question: Is there a way to change screensaver settings. For instance if I use GLText Is there a way to change the text? I used that screensaver under fluxbox and i could edit the text but Gnome doesn't seem to have that ability. Do i have to edit configuration files instead?

IndyRacer27
01-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Is there a way to change screensaver settings.
I haven't noticed this before. Apparently gnome-screensaver doesn't allow you to change these setttings (http://www.nabble.com/gnome-screensaver-configuration-%28or-lack-therof%29-td6582844.html). However, if you use xscreensaver instead, you should be able to change them. This is most likely the screensaver you had in the first place.

As far as your problem with xfce, I'm certainly not an expert, but it sounds to me like your xserver is messed up. After you uninstalled kde, you probably just need to adjust your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Google will help more than I can with that.

luciusad2004
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I sorta kinda got xfce working. The crazy thing is... I wasn't trying to...

I was playing around on my Ibook in os x and i SSHed in to my PC. Well i read that you could run gui applications through ssh if you had the Xserver on the machine you were logged in from (OS X comes w/ an x11). Anyway. I shutdown the xserver on my pc and turned to my laptop. I typed sudo startx to see what would happen. Unfortunatly It did not do anything cool on my laptop but what it did do is start the xserver on my pc which loaded xfce.

Anyway, at least i now know that xfce still exists and is not busted. Now i just have to log out and see if i can get to xfce from the log in manager or if it only works when i start X from the command line.

Edit: Just used the logout button and Xfce logged out to command line. I can't do anything from here. I had to shut down through ssh. SSH is awesome.

Edit2: Just checkd, xfce does not work from the log in manager. At least I kinda have some more information about it now though.

luciusad2004
01-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Got bored, Found another hard drive, installed Xubuntu on it. It's not dual boot though. I just open up the case and switch the cable around when i want/need to load windows. So far it's working but i have this one problem.

When i start up my computer and log in xfce isn't managing my desktop. After i go in to the preferences and start it up I get this message.

To ensure that Xfce does not manage your desktop the next time you start Xfce, please be sure to save your session when logging out. If you are not using the Xfce Session Manager (xfce4-session), you will need to manually edit your ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc file. Details are available in the documentation provided on http://xfce.org/.

Currently I can't seem to access xfce.org, does anybody have any idea how i might be able to set up xfce so that it DOES manage my desktop when i boot. I found the above directory in Thunar but i don't see the file it mentions. I was thinking if i could find the file maybe i could sift through and see what i can figure out.

Thanks for any help

Edit: Well would you look at that... i let xfce.org sit in another tab while i posted this and it eventually loaded. Ill see what i can find there.
Edit2: On further inspection their website is extraordinarily slow. I might get somewhere eventually.

.Maleficus.
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
In the session dealy on the login screen, choose the Xfce session, and make it your Default session.

Which reminds me, I just downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and need to install it. I effed up my Fedora install by switching graphics cards before changing drivers, and now X is completely screwed.

luciusad2004
01-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks, I never even realized that it wasn't set as my default session. It always just logged in to Xfce so i assumed that was my default session. That seems like a strange issue. Anyway, now it works fine. Thanks again.

Is it not possible to drop the old graphics card back in to your rig to get Fedora working again without going through the trouble of a reinstall? Then do what you need to do w/ the drivers to get the new card working? I guess I'll have to keep little things like that in mind when i start building a new rig, or upgrading the one i have.

luciusad2004
01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Taking a shot in the dark here but i remember some people in the IRC channel talking about this game.

Frozen bubble is great and all, but is there a way to disable the music or make it play something different. I know there is nothing built in to the game but if there is a hidden configuration file somewhere that someone could point me to that would be amazing.

Again, just throwing it out there. The music has been getting to me and i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edit: I was wrong! F11 toggles music and f12 toggles sound effects. Now i can finally play without listening tot he same music over and over.

calumc
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I happen to quite like the music :p
Well no i hate it just thought i couldnt turn it off! +rep for the tip

luciusad2004
01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks! Its not that i don't like the music. It just gets really repetitive after a couple of boards are cleared. It's actually not bad for game music.

luciusad2004
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm bored so i need to give myself something to do. Can anyone recommend any Distributions that i could jump to from Xubuntu?

What I'm looking for:

I want something light weight.
I don't want to struggle w/ hardware compatibility.
I don't need a lot of applications. I don't mind installing the few applications i do use regularly.
I don't mind learning something new from this experience.However...
I don't want to spend all weekend configuring and installing. I don't have time for that right now.

Is their anything out there that fits this criteria?

Things i wouldn't mind learning.
*partitioning on my own through command line.
*installing X (unless its one of those spend all weekend things)

Just puttin this out there. If anyone has any ideas feel free to let me know. Thanks

.Maleficus.
02-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, I've found there's pretty much no middle ground with Linux. There are the distros that tend to do most everything for you (Ubuntu, Fedora) and the distros that don't do much of anything for you (Gentoo, Arch). That being said, go for Gentoo or Arch. If you've got a day, read the documentation, and post here when you have a problem, you should be fine. Gentoo is a command line installer, and Arch is a blue-scree-white-text installer. You'll learn from both of them.

BTW, Arch prides itself on being a light-weight distro.

luciusad2004
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Ok, I'll look in to both of those as time permits. I actually had the Gentoo handbook printed out once but my ink cartridges died and the last half of it was unreadable. I'll probably look in to arch though if it prides it self on being light-weight. Does arch install X for me or do i get to do it myself?

.Maleficus.
02-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Ok, I'll look in to both of those as time permits. I actually had the Gentoo handbook printed out once but my ink cartridges died and the last half of it was unreadable. I'll probably look in to arch though if it prides it self on being light-weight. Does arch install X for me or do i get to do it myself?
You can have it install for you, but they recommend doing a base install (nothing but the most basic packages for a bootable install) which doesn't include X.

My Fedora install is still effed, so maybe I'll try out Arch. If you aren't installing until the weekend, I can probably tell you how it goes, how much time is needed...

luciusad2004
02-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Alright. I can probably wait till the weekend. I need time to dig up some instructions,download and burn disk's, etc.

If you go ahead with it, let me know.

.Maleficus.
02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I tried to install Arch today. Install went fine, but booting it gave me an ACPI error, and I don't have the time to work on it now. I was probably missing a kernel module, but I'm just installing Ubuntu 7.10. I imagine if you read the documentation enough, you'll be fine with the install, but I was rushed, and need something that just "works", which Arch is not.

luciusad2004
02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Ok man. Thanks : )