PDA

View Full Version : Wireless signals

XcOM
10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
this is a new one to me, i get a drop in wireless signal strength now and again, i have found the problem, if a police car or fire engine is sitting outsite, i pickup tehre radio transmissions, but not only do i pick them up, it plays them through my speakers1

WTF?

How is this even possable?

Spawn-Inc
10-31-2007, 06:02 PM
haha, interesting. i take it would have some kind of wireless speakers? i have a set of wireless headphones that i can adjust the frequency (i think thats what it adjusts) and i can sometime pick up peoples cell phone calls. it would be interesting to go near a cell phone tower and see what i could pickup. as far as a fix goes, maybe change channels if you can or if you really feel up to it push up metal mesh around your house like the mythbusters did :).

Outlaw
10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Pretty much what spawn said...

Think of it like your wireless phone. You and a neighbor both have one. They are set on the same channel (Frequency). You will probably both be able to get each others conversation, may be just broken bits of it. But being on the same channel is usually the primary cause of that. Try moving it to an "off" channel. Did a quick search at Best Buy. Seems like 900Mhz was pretty common... I would try something a little lower if the Speakers aren't to far apart.

Some pointers that can be related to wireless anything

Change your wireless channels
Wireless routers can broadcast on several different channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. In the United States and Canada, these channels are 1, 6, and 11. Just like you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it'll automatically detect the new channel.

Reduce wireless interference.
If you have cordless phones or other wireless electronics in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise from the other wireless devices. To quiet the noise, avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones that use the 5.8GHz or 900MHz frequencies. (taken from steps 6 and 7 http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx))

PS- I like the metal mesh idea. lol

Mitternacht
10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I had a similar coincidence. I'd get the Fox sports channel from XM playing on my TV speakers when the TV was off. I'd say it was just a frequency crossover.

...or turn your room into a Faraday cage.

XcOM
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
true, but thats the wierrd thing, i don't have wireless speakers, just a wireless card, and even when i disable the wireless card it still happens.

I've phoned and informed the local police department, they sent a car round ealier to check, and it happened again, they say its not the first report of this and they are not sure whats doing it, as some linux machines are doing it.

Also i have some business comming my way, in the form of fixing the coppers PC!

Scotty
11-01-2007, 05:25 PM
LOL that's awesome. Just think if the cops come for you, you will have time to get out before they get in ;)

XcOM
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
cool, never thought of that,

I'll have time to turn the HUGE eectromagnites on, now i just need to get some huge electromagnicts

calumc
11-02-2007, 07:52 AM
what you need to do: build computers that can pick up the radio signals and sell them to the kind of people that might find that useful...

Outlaw
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
this is a new one to me, i get a drop in wireless signal strength now and again, i have found the problem, if a police car or fire engine is sitting outsite, i pickup tehre radio transmissions, but not only do i pick them up, it plays them through my speakers1

WTF?

How is this even possable?

Read to much into it... I was assuming you had wireless speakers. At my old house I had the same issue, but it was with my friends dad. He had a big radio antenna and used it to talk to people around the world. I used to be able to listen to some of it through my stereo speakers in the basement.

There is nothing you can do other then the above suggestion of wrapping your house in foil. It may be something with your speaker wires. If possible maybe try using shielded wires(or shield your wires in foil)? lol

Don't quote me on this but everything has a point(frequency) at which it will vibrate(or in speakers, produce sound). Your speakers point at which this happens is when the police drive by... lol (That is my best attempt at being smart about what I can remember on this)