PDA

View Full Version : StaScu

ervand
11-01-2007, 04:19 AM
I know, StaScu sound like a stupid name. It isn't a name in fact. It's abbreviation (why is "a b r i v i a t i o n" such a long word?) for Static Sculpture, which it is. Maybe you can help me with some suggestions for name?!

Purpose of this project is - Portfolio. My goal is to get into the best design-oriented Architecture school in California (SciArch). They don't judge by the grades. All they need is your portfolio. If it is a strong portfolio - they take you in, if not - your screwed, because now you have to go to a weeker design-oriented university, or you could go business-oriented, or technical-oriented.

I wanted to make a model that looks good from artistic/architectural point of view, meanwhile it is limited by some technical and mechanical issues. Just as modern Architecture is...

This 3D renderings above gives an idea, but that's not a final result. I didn't do the little details + I didn't even finish designing it.

I am posting this now, because some people might give me some of their thoughts on any part of this structure?

The whole thing is going to be out of gray/light blue see thrue acrylic, posible with plain red elements.

something like this http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9369/project1hj1.jpg

The four red things are hard drive in red acrylic
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8492/project2va2.jpg

There is a place for power block (which probably going to be all red too) below the left (small) wing. I didn't even think on that part yet
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8760/project2pi5.jpg

and ofcouse, everything is going to be see through, since it is going to be out of acrylic/plexiglass
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7064/proj5ectdu2.jpg

I also want to work with lighting on this model. I am going to do three or four lighting circuits, each supported by a knob (so that I can control amount of light) every circuit is going to support specific part of a model and possibly be different colors (didn't think that out yet). I am also going to plant a control box with a knob for each circuit/color to be controlled from.

That's another issue, because I will have to find a way to wire this thing without having wires distroying the whole design (since a whole model is made of see through materials)

=)

So, any thoughts? comments? suggestions? concerns?
I would greatly appreciate any kind of replies...

The boy 4rm oz
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Very nice mate, I like how it is segmented (if it is not meant to be this way you should keep it that way lol).

About the lighting if that black piece on top of the fins was "solid" (not see through) you could mount LED's under that to get your desired lighting effect. Also as I said in your other post have a look at Defyant's work, he has done a lot with LED's and plastic and in one of his mods defuses the LED's through the plastic, also with different colours. Also have a look at Crimsonsky's Doom 3 mod. Take a look at the pentacle he made for the side panel, incorporates the LED's perfectly and should give you your desired effect.
Here is the link to the Doom 3 mod:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1
Halfway down the the first page and close to the bottom has some pics of the acrylic pentacle work. I'm sure if you sent him a message he wouldn't mind helping you out.

p0Pe
11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
i dont know if it is the point by now but is it suposed to be a external harddrive? otherwise you should considder it:D... as it looks now it would be a sweet external!... and you didnt have to bother with the mobo and such, wich makes the design far simpler.

i like the simple design atm, keep em coming:D

Roughhouse
11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
What about rigging the lighting so that you can control what color each layer of the plexi is. Or even use a control to set up different lighting patterns that can change automatically or manually?

Looks sweet, can't wait to see the real deal.

ervand
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
The boy 4rm oz If you tell me what you mean by "segmented" I will tell you if it was meant to be like that or not =)

regarding the pentacle - do you mean that? http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/pent_etch-(3).jpg
I did plan to do something on the bottom right side. Like some kind of word, but now I am thinking about making some kind of design. I never did this kind of stuff in my live even though I got the rotary tool and all the stuff that is needed. Someone has an article on how to do engraving? (I think that's another way of calling it?)

One more amazing idea is the door! I am going to cut my case one the other side. There is going to be a door and when I am going to open it - a motherboard is going to show up for easy maintainance or upgrading. Any suggestions about that?

p0PeHm, it is interesting on how you looked at it. In fact, yes! it is external, but those are not external hard drives. Just regular ones accept I am going to give them little fans and put them into a box, so yeah, it has everything external hard drives have accept it is not usb connected =)

Roughhouse I didn't get it. Can you talk about riggin a little more and explain in details what you mean? I am very new to computer modding.

The boy 4rm oz
11-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I will tell you what I mean when I get home this arvo, stupid school PC's don't display pics :(.

Roughhouse
11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
What I mean is I see the horizontal pieces that are surrounding your hard drives as clear plexi. With these I think you can rig some LEDs to them so that they illuminate each piece of plexi. I think you could place a few different colors on each plexi layer and then with a microcontroller or something else (this is where I am lacking in my modding skills) you could control how the LEDS light, ie sequences and colors.

Hope that helps.

FrooP
11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
i actually would go for internal harddrives, selfbuild cover out of clear red acrylic than attach to each hard drive an external usb converter, connect them to a 4-usb hub hidden in the base. so there are just 2 cables leaving this piece of art,power and usb ;)

ervand
11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
FrooP, Roughhouse
THank you for sharing your ideas, I will keep them in mind and see what comes out and ofcouse, share the results with you =)

I got two questions:
1. Can someone help me with an article or something on lighting and electricity?
2. Do you think I could nicely integrate engraving? I got rotary tool and all the tools to it. I just need ideas. In fact, I do have ideas, but I want to hear yours!

p0Pe
11-02-2007, 03:11 AM
well.... im so lucky that i know a guy who is able to laserengrave everything in everything, and you might be able to find someone in you location:)... you might have to pay a few bucksbut who cares if it gets nice:D

The boy 4rm oz
11-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Ok back home now. What I mean by "segmented" is how (3rd pic is easier to explain) on the left of the plexi fins how the black plates curve away. I think it looks cool this way or did you mean to make them rounded?

ervand
11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Nope, the top part isn't going to change. I think that part bring movement to a dynamic structure and that's why I like it! I took the most time on that, trying to figure out where to put the main point and then how long each piece is and what angel it is going to be. I am very satisfied with the result.

The boy 4rm oz
11-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Good, you answered my question perfectly. It looks awesome how it is. I think the design would work perfectly as an external HDD enclosure or you could install it into a themed case.