PDA

View Full Version : Review: Logitech EasyCall Desktop

.Maleficus.
11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Review: Logitech EasyCall Desktop

The perfect desktop set for anyone who uses a VoIP program on a daily basis.

http://arcanesystems.com/images/stories/reviews/Logitech Easycall desktop.jpg

General:
The Logitech EasyCall Desktop was designed for easy to use, fast computing, whether it be surfing the net, playing music, or making a VoIP call.

Key Features:
The EasyCall Desktop comes with 4 different things in the package. It comes with the Wireless MX600 Laser Mouse, the Wireless EasyCall keyboard, a headset with built in mic, and the wireless receiver, which doubles as a speaker and microphone.

The mouse has 8 buttons; the three standard every mouse has (right click, left click, mouse wheel) but comes with 5 others. 3 are used to zoom in or out of a page, and the 2 others have program specific funtions (such as the Back button in your browser). It has a comfortable ergonomic grip, and is made of nice, smooth, almost rubbery feeling plastic.

The wireless keyboard has every key a normal keyboard should have, but it also has 12 programmable "F" keys, that can be used to create shortcuts to frequently used programs, or print the Word document you're writing. It also has buttons for music player navigation, web browser navigation, and VoIP functions (dialing, connecting, etc). The bulk of the keyboard is made from the same material the mouse is made from.

The wireless receiver has a built-in microphone and built-in speaker, so you could have a conference call with a few other people in the room joining in. It also comes with a headset/mic, that allow for a little more privacy when it's needed. The receiver has the same buttons the keyboard has, and also has 2 ports for the headphones and mic.

Other Features:
The EasyCall Desktop doesn't use rechargable batteries, which can be a good (and bad) thing. This allows for immediate charge after the batteries die. The mouse and keyboard both have buttons that can be pressed that will show you how much charge is left, and the receiver will also turn red if you need to get some new batteries.

Price:
The EasyCall Desktop retails at most stores for around $120USD, but if you can manage to find it at a BestBuy location like me, it's a steal for around $55USD. For the $55, the price to performance ratio is amazing. However, for most retail locations, $120 is a little higher than the desktop should be priced at. Unless you're a hardcore VoIP user, you could get away with a desktop without that function.

Cons:
After a couple months of use, I've noticed that occasionally the desktop will get a little freaky; ie, the keyboard will become unresponsive to keystrokes, hang for a few seconds, and type a big string of the letter that previously didn't work. It's very frustrating, because it's not just a one or two keystroke thing; when this starts, it's around for a few minutes, on almost all of the typing. But, it's on occasion, it could be due to low battery charge.

The desktop doesn't come with support for the industry standard VoIP program Skype! Due to licensing issues (I believe), it only works with AIM or Yahoo Messenger. However, the European version of this desktop works with Skype, and the .dll needed can easily be downloaded from the internet.

My only other complaint is the receiver; it's got great functions, but it's bulky, and doesn't look good on the front of a desk (the optimal placement for fast wireless response). If you have a desk with a slide-out keyboard tray, you can hide it in the back though.

Overall rating: 8/10
This rating is mostly from the occasional spasms of the keyboard, since the other two cons really aren't too bad. Skype users may be a little mad to find that it doesn't support Skype out-of-the-box, but with the .dll needed all over the internet, the rating wouldn't drop below a 7.5/10 (I didn't take off for that because I don't need Skype functions anyways.)

Other Thoughts:
I just found it nice that in place of one of the hated Windows keys is the button used for "F" keys. It gets rid of one more little typing error that causes major headaches when the Start menu pops up from what seems to be nowhere.

BigJohnson
11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Nice review, Male. I don't use VoIP but man if I did. Although the wireless desktop for only 55 is nice.
+Rep

xRyokenx
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
That's a good deal... if it came with a good trackball I'd go pick it up, lol. Nice review dude.

jdbnsn
11-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice review man, definately front page (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com) stuff! ;)

Jon

calumc
11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Jon, would it be possible to use the reviews section that's on the frontpage as an index of links to the forum threads for all the reviews or even copy them into the section like the older ones?
It could help give them a bit more of an audience by catching passers through that dont want to wade through the forum for a review.
Just a little idea :)

jdbnsn
11-04-2007, 07:10 PM
hmmm...never thought of that. Not a bad idea indeed, +rep for the tip!

.Maleficus.
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow, thanks Jon! Glad you liked it :D.