PDA

View Full Version : noob tryin' to get in

limion
03-26-2005, 09:45 AM
well, guess the title says it all. always wanted to start modding, but not sure how to begin. this is a pic of my pc right now (standard)
images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000E0Z6T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
if any one can help with some idea's or what not, please let me know.
i'm tired of this boring case! ;)

altec
03-26-2005, 10:18 AM
In this order

Cut a side window.
Cut the fan grills out
Add leds or cathodes
Paint it
Post it in mod galls :D

Frakk
03-26-2005, 11:04 AM
It is really up to you. What features do you want on it? Do you want a window? More fans? Lights? New paint. There is just so many things. Modding is about what you like, not about what anyone else thinks :)

altec
03-26-2005, 12:08 PM
And thats why i posted what i did.............

limion
03-26-2005, 12:13 PM
i see, but i was thinking of something like the alien casemod. you know adept it completly but start of from an existing case. the only problem i have is the round thing on the front side of the case, but i think i can take that off.

thanks anyway.

siege
03-28-2005, 12:01 AM
i see, but i was thinking of something like the alien casemod. you know adept it completly but start of from an existing case. the only problem i have is the round thing on the front side of the case, but i think i can take that off.

thanks anyway.

honestly, I don't understand a word you just said. :)

Anyway, here's what I would do...

first, I'd grab some form of blue or red or even white lighting and see howthat blue front panel looks backlit (they're translucent aren't they? been a while since I sold compaqs). If it looks cool with, say red, backlighting, grab some red EL cable and run it around the edge on the inside so that whole front is lit up...could look fairly cool. Maybe try to get the compaq logo off without scratching up the front...or if you scratch it while removing it, just frost the whole front :)

the next couple may be a bit advaced for a beginner....

I'd remove that door in front of the usb ports and move that little 'panel' up to be flush with the cdrom and floppy faces. Then extend the raised feature on the top all the way to the back. So it would keep that curve on the top but it'd be at the rear and tapered down in size a bit - i hope that makes sense.

As for a window, I like following the shape of the case. right side of the window would be curved to match the front of the case, top would be tapered down following the line I would make with the top. left and bottom would be square just like those edges of the case.

If I remember correctly, those compaqs aren't very pretty inside so I would frost the window and add an intake fan to the window in the video card area. add an exhaust fan in the back. edgelight the frosted window with blue or purple or another color based on the front color and also the color of the case.

Paint would be a must - if you had red lighting behind that blue panel to make a purplish glow in the front, I would use one of these colors: very dark burgundy, dark blue, deep purple, black. Or if you want to get crazy, yellow or green would work too :)

If I was able to look at the case in person I'm sure I could think of other and better things to do to it.

But here's the moral of the story: you may or may not like these ideas, and I'm not actually saying 'you should do these things,' I'm just saying what I would do if I had that case. If you're thinking of "something like the alien casemod" then by all means, go for it :) Suggestions are always good to have if you are experiencing a creative block; also I would suggest looking at plenty of casemod galleries and maybe you can also come up with a general direction that you'd like to go that you might not have thought of before. But in the end, its what you come up with that makes it your case.

Hope this helps :)

limion
03-28-2005, 11:19 AM
thanks alot, i was mostly just seeking some ideas. don't quite understand that bit about the usb panel, but the rest is fine. i was also thinking of putting in a fan behind the big front panel (the part that opens off course).

it could be quite a while before i even start this, but i'll definetly post some pic's when i do. cheers!!