PDA

View Full Version : need help picking lcd tv

Liquid_Scope_99
11-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Hello all if this is in wrong palce feel free to move .
I need help picking an lcd tv i have rea revievs and locked at specs till i cant see straight lol.
I would like something a round 25 to 26 inches and i cant afford the uber stuff i would like it for my computer room .
if this is even possible at my price range i would like to use it as a tv , and computer monitor .
i do a lot of gaming mostly fps bf2 ,fear ,and would like to watch nascar ,a little football nad movies with it lol is that all,
It dosent have to be perfect or anything but not craptaculor ,lol . I found this please hold all laughter till end is do you guys think this would be decent ? for price .
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623471#Specifications
Any and all suggestions welcome on other sets btw does hdtv lcds look a lot better in hd ,in other words does sd make it fussy worse thanks in advance .

D1337
11-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Using a tv as a monitor SUCKS trusts me, i have like a 30" lcd tv that doubles as a monitor and the refresh rate sucks, resolution sucks, and the response time sucks. The only thing i like about mine is that i can watch tv via PIP (picture in picture) while playing your games or websurfing.

Spawn-Inc
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
anything samsung! they rock and are the best of the best!

i personally wouldn't buy any tv/lcd (games/movies i will) etc from wallmart.

as far as sd in on a hd tv i think its the same as a regular tv.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2102640411+50001077+138901997+1389027308&name=26%22

Liquid_Scope_99
11-03-2007, 03:52 PM
thanks guys for the help would that samsung be good for pc gaming u think and also ps2 ,360

Spawn-Inc
11-03-2007, 04:49 PM
would be good for ps2 and 360 if you get the right cables, even if you don't it would be good as for the pc not sure as i have never used a tv as a main monitor. some people on here say the above, that its not good for response times. but i have also seen people here say its not that bad and works nicely.

not sure if the store would let you but if you have a laptop or a really small pc maybe bring it to the store and see if you can hook it up and play a game and see how it is.

Liquid_Scope_99
11-03-2007, 10:32 PM
yeah thats what D1337 was saying was just hopeing you knew a new one lol ,was wanting to just have one tv\monitor to cleanman room up little .
But a 26 lcd instead of 27 crt tv would help greatley thanks again all.
Well since that might not how about using this as a monitor and getting a tv card thanks in advace.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001
or this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009113

D1337
11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I would go for the acer, even though we own a westinghouse lcd tv. Acer has great quality and a better response time.

But i personally couldnt stand the silver, its just me though.

Liquid_Scope_99
11-04-2007, 12:12 AM
hey thanks man im kinda leaning that way i hear you about the silver but lol i could mod it thanks again might just be easier to make a monitor a tv than a tv a monitor and cheaper thanks again

Aero
11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
goto the store, look at some and pick your favorite. Just remember to stand at a high angle and look at the color. Some manufactures (even respectable ones) use cheap LCD's that distort at angles. You should be able to see a difference in the color, usually the picture turns blue or black.

Also, ask to see a remote and play around with the color adjustment settings. You may think that a TV looks good, but then realize that they have all the setting cranked up, leaving you with squat as far as optimizing the picture. Also, stay away from Vizio and Westinghouse. Both are somewhat mediocre and its worth a bit more money to get a Sony, Toshiba(yes they make good LCD's), or other brand name.

Liquid_Scope_99
11-05-2007, 10:12 PM
hey thanks i appreciate it , i have went to more than jsut walmart lol, but all the lcd tvs i look at distort during like nascar which i like a lot .
I havent looked at a Sonyor Toshiba yet but i wll look for some though i saw a few lgs that looked reallly nice . thanks again all this is very helpful

Luke122
11-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a Sharp Aquos 37". It's only the 720p model (1080p was wayyy more money), but it runs as a monitor for my living room PC @ 1320x768 (I think... something like that).

It's great actually.. I can play WoW on it just fine, and no problems reading text. I dont do much more than that for PC gaming, but I've got my Xbox and 360 connected to it, and it's stellar for gaming. :)

Sharps and Samsungs get my vote.

*Edit* If the tv appears "distorted", it's because it's trying to stretch regular 4:3 video to the widescreen 16:9 format. There should be an option to not resize it, but then you get black bars on the sides. If the show is broadcast in widescreen or "hi-def" (as they call it.. but not true high def, just widescreen) then there are no bars on the side, and it'll fill the screen without distorting.

billygoat333
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I would go for the acer, even though we own a westinghouse lcd tv. Acer has great quality and a better response time.

But i personally couldnt stand the silver, its just me though.

I gots an Acer 22" monitor for my pc and it rocks. I love it. :) dunno if that helps.

Liquid_Scope_99
11-11-2007, 05:09 PM
do you watch any tv or movies on it ?