PDA

View Full Version : Converting Power?

maxrott
08-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi All,

I am starting my first serious case mod ( custom cuts, paint, logos etc...) and I thought of a cool feature that I am not sure is possible... or safe for that matter.

I want to install a netgear hub inside my machine and have the RJ45 jacks facing outward on the rear of the PC (in an expansion slot). The problem I am facing is powering the unit. I could run the power cord outside of the PC and plug it in seperately....but I would really like to is chop the power cord and connect it to the PSU. Does anyone know if this is a good idea? or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for the help!

Malatory
08-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi All,

I am starting my first serious case mod ( custom cuts, paint, logos etc...) and I thought of a cool feature that I am not sure is possible... or safe for that matter.

I want to install a netgear hub inside my machine and have the RJ45 jacks facing outward on the rear of the PC (in an expansion slot). The problem I am facing is powering the unit. I could run the power cord outside of the PC and plug it in seperately....but I would really like to is chop the power cord and connect it to the PSU. Does anyone know if this is a good idea? or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for the help!

Can you PSU Handle the Extra Load??

The Linksys WRT54G draws 1Amp off @ 12 V and 23W

If you cant find that information then I would say your heading for Trouble. Other wise it has been done (At least with the extra Power from the outside source).

maxrott
08-17-2005, 11:32 AM
The PSU should be able to handle to load no problem. But I am not sure about the wiring.... would I just take the + - and connect them inside a 4 pin power connector?