PDA

View Full Version : Review: Logitech Z-5300e's

Omega
11-06-2007, 12:26 AM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/imagispire/reviews%20images/logitechz5300ereviewhead%20copy.jpg
(Image from Logitech)

I figured I'd write a review for these, since they're so blatantly awesome.

I upgraded from my 2.1 Creative system quite a while back now, and to be honest, I couldn't be happier. Normally when people think of Logitech, they think mice, keyboards, etc, right? Well, they make bitchin' speakers, too.

First off, lets talk about the overall good points:

6 Channel Surround
THX Certified
~$130 shipped (+$40 MIR through Logitech)
Big subwoofer
Large satellites
Aesthetically pleasing
Wall-mountable
Adjustable stands
Wired remote (with controls for balance, fade, bass, etc)
Bass for miles.

Now, the bad points:

Heavy. 42lbs & the shipping was quite a bit because of it.
Even at the lowest setting, the bass is still really meaty (Not usually an issue, however when trying to listen to music loudly without pissing off the neighbors, it's an issue)

Lets touch a little more on these points...

After upgrading from said 2.1 system, having 6ch Surround Sound seems like a godsend. Playing Battlefield 2 and being able to hear people behind me was really cool, and music becomes an immersive experience. Music before was kind of like being played at you, whereas now it's being played all around you. It really is hard to explain, but I'd never go back now.

THX Certification. This basically says that THX feels that these speakers recreate the theater experience. Remember. THX is THX. Their word, when it comes to acoustics, is worth listening to. These speakers are no exception.

The price is crazily low. While shopping for speakers, other sets would set me back above $200, however these were ~$100 (plus shipping) when I got them. Their price has gone down. Add in the $40 MIR, and that brings it down to about ~$90 shipped. For 560w, 6ch sound. Can't be beat.

The subwoofer is big. I could fit my dog in the sub box (and he's a 50lb Border Collie). The sound it prodouces, however, justifies the size. When you crank it, hope you've got a well built house, because if you don't, you're in for one hell of a ride. Also, Tanks driving around in BF2 with the subwoofer at it's LOWEST setting will make the walls rattle. You've been warned.

The satellites are big (at least compared to my previous ones), and take up ~70w max each. They're also good quality and make a GREAT noise at almost all frequencies above ~40 and below ~40k. The subwoofer is great, yes, but the Satellites also contribute to the bass and it sounds great.

The just look good. The satellites have removeable cloth cover things that are black, and underneath the faceplate on the speaker is black and the center of the speaker has a small aluminium cone type deal over it. The satellites have two vents each as well, and Logitech made them look damned good. The sub box, however, is quite literally that: A box. But who cares? It's going to be sitting under a desk anyways. If it does matter: The box has a Logitech/THX badge on it. The badge looks good.

The satellites have holes on the base to allow them to be wall mountable. This is good, if you have a place to mount them. I don't. I would imagine this to be a good feature for those who use them in offices/home theaters, however.

The stands can rotate, so the speaker can be aimed a little better. This is in case you have to mount it to the wall. Again, I haven't used this but I can see it's use.

The remote is wired which means you won't lose it and it won't run out of battery. It's got a power button, a big knob (default: volume), a "mode" button (select between volume, subwoofer, fader, and center volume), and a "matrix" button, which I assume has nothing to do with Neo and/or Morpheus. I don't really know what this "Matrix" button does, however.

Quite possibly my favorite feature is the strength of the subwoofer. Crank that sucker up, then turn up the master volume, and you're in for one hell of a ride (if you can get out of your chair). If you also go so far as to play something bassheavy already (Techno is good), your house might disintegrate. Do so at your own risk.

They are heavy, however. And the box is huge. You won't be taking them with you to LAN parties (often, but please don't dismantle the person's house with the bass), but it's worth it. However, the shipping cost was also quite a bit (~$40), but that's not Logitech's fault.

The strong bass is only a problem if you need to not annoy people. Just keep it turned down if you do (or use headphones, plug them into the headphone jack on the remote).

Overall, I love these speakers. I give them a 9/10 and I'd definitely recommend them to anybody.

While they may not be right for you, They should be perfect for the majority of people, and they're damn cheap right now. If you're on the fence: Buy.

-Omega

SgtM
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
http://www.divoom.vn/resources/uploads/sp_5300e.jpg

B1Gtime
11-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I was going to get these speakers, now i even want them more .

+rep
good review

xRyokenx
11-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Now I have an even bigger dilemma: speakers or mp3 player?!?! lol

Nice review.

Omega
11-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Now I have an even bigger dilemma: speakers or mp3 player?!?! lol

Nice review.

Depends. Do you have an mp3 now? Would you benefit greatly from one (are you a student)?

I can almost guarantee you have speakers.

Yeah, it's a hard decision, but also keep in mind how often you're at your pc. If it's enough, you can justify the speakers.

of course, if you have enough money, you could buy some little cheap mp3 player (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125040) AND the speakers.

(If it were me, though, i'd get the speakers.)

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I had my pocket PC as a music player until it finally died on me. I am really missing music on the go, so I"ll probably just get an mp3 player. I like carrying around a good amount of music and I like quality stuff, so I'll probably just go with an mp3 player... I would love some nice speakers though... even though I have no idea in hell where I would put them in my weird setup I have for a "desk."

.Maleficus.
11-08-2007, 11:02 PM
They are wall mountable.

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
They are wall mountable.

Cool. I'll keep that in mind.

Liquid_Scope_99
11-13-2007, 12:06 AM
nice review sounds like a good deal too me too may have to get those

jdbnsn
11-17-2007, 04:28 AM
Oops he did it again

Omega
11-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Oops he did it again

Who did what?

EDIT:

Oh hey, look at that.

Greco101
11-17-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't get it.

jdbnsn
11-18-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't get it.

We've been adding custom graphics to the header's of most of the reviews.

Durrthock
11-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I though about getting those but I just went ahead and got the z5500s haven't regretted it once.

haha49
11-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I have them and they have lasted me 3 years alreeady and still no problems..

B1Gtime
12-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Just got them/ great speakers/Bass is crazy, Omega your review helped me
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 sound card, thx for helping me pick out a good card.

Indybird
12-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Nice review omega! +rep

I gotta say if these sound anything like the Z-5500s then I second the statement that these are really nice speakers.

By the way omega, "Matrix" mode acts like Dolby Pro Logic, it upconverts (Correct Phrase?) 2 Channel to 5.1.

-Indybird