PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Wireless Disconnection

Computer-Geek
11-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Can anyone help me with this ? Its driving me nuts. Almost every couple of minutes it happens. It never happened before and my distance between the router hasn't changed. ( 2 ceilings + 2 walls at about 3-4 bars.)

crenn
11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Your router is overheating.

Computer-Geek
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Weird I guess i will have to check it out. Now it wont even give me an ip address anymore. So i'm on some neighbors internet. I will let you know if i can fix it hopefully.

Eclecticos
11-07-2007, 04:28 AM
What is the make and model of your router, and your network adapter?

Computer-Geek
11-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Its a verizon westell versalink 327w, network adapter is a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN thats all it says in device manager. Dont worry about the 1394 net adapter.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8849/devicesao2.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6713/localareaat5.jpg

This is the message I get after connecting to it. Once i got into the router page but i didn't know how it happened ><

Eclecticos
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Perhaps uninstalling the software completely and reinstalling is the solution?
Mine was doing the same thing.

Read into the manual if you don't have it download it offline. I had to select extend range and set the wireless channel to auto. . my phone was disrupting the connection; I believe.

EDIT: More than likely the conflict "1394" is causing the problem right click and disable it and reboot.

Luke122
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I agree with Crenn that the router may be overheating, I'd also try changing the channel on the router to something other than 6 (auto/default) as it's possibly conflicting with someone else's wifi.

Computer-Geek
11-07-2007, 05:57 PM
I finally got it fixed! It was strange I enabled UPnP which reset the router & now i'm connected :) I also disabled the 1394 network adapter which let me get into my router before this. :up: + rep to you all.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5821/successyy4.jpg

How can I get my speed up ?

Edit: I still have that question but changing to channel 1 has helped a bit.

Indybird
11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm glad you got yours working but I still have the same problem. One of the problem is my wireless home phone interfering, but even when that's off it randomly disconnects. Then when I go to connect the network shows up and it connects but it says "Connection to local only".

I think I might have posted this before and I tried resetting pretty much just about everything since everyone recommended it.

I tried your fix, but UPnP is already enabled. Does any one have any ideas?

-Indybird

EDIT: I hope I didn't hijack your thread, I just thought I'd bring in my problem since it is very similar.

Computer-Geek
11-07-2007, 07:34 PM
no problem :) i still keep getting disconnected then reconnected though.. but the icon never changes when i get disconnected.

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 01:48 AM
You have one bar. That would be the problem with the speed and disconnection stuff. Enhance the signal and it should work better.

Eclecticos
11-08-2007, 06:47 AM
As dumb as this may sound I think you need a wireless adapter with a longer cord. Something like THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041). I position it closer to the router out the window or something if you have to.

Computer-Geek
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I forgot to mention that its a laptop so that option wouldn't work. Anyone know of any good quality usb wireless cards that aren't too expensive?

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Get a card for one of those PCIMCIA or whatever the hell it's called slots? The ones that take the long rectangular cards that's usually in the side of the laptop. My bro has one of those and it works alright.

Luke122
11-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I find that internal wifi cards are better, because the antenna actually is much larger. Most of them go all the way around the screen on the laptop, as opposed to a small antenna inside of the PCMCIA (or cardbus) cards.

Sometimes even moving the router 1 foot in a different direction can have a massive effect on signal strength. If it's right up against a wall, try to move it away a bit. If the antenna is standing straight up, try a bit of an angle to it. Simple things are best.

As for cordless phones interfering, try changing the channel on the phone to see if that helps with the disconnects.

Indybird
11-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Sometimes even moving the router 1 foot in a different direction can have a massive effect on signal strength. If it's right up against a wall, try to move it away a bit. If the antenna is standing straight up, try a bit of an angle to it. Simple things are best.
I've tried pretty much everything there, so I'm not sure how much I can improve that.

As for cordless phones interfering, try changing the channel on the phone to see if that helps with the disconnects.
Unless theres some special process I don't know about, I don't think my phone can change channels. I've tried changing my router channel and I've noticed that 11 is the best, even though it is still terrible.

I'm using the integrated wireless on the ASUS P5W-DH, and the antenna that came with it. I think the problem might be the antenna, but I want to make sure before I go spend $20+ on a nice antenna.

Thanks,
Indybird

Luke122
11-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I've tried pretty much everything there, so I'm not sure how much I can improve that.
You could try moving the router to another location in the house, if possible.

Unless theres some special process I don't know about, I don't think my phone can change channels. I've tried changing my router channel and I've noticed that 11 is the best, even though it is still terrible.

If it's a 900mhz phone, no problem. Channel switching is only a concern if its a 2.4ghz phone. Some of these phones now have "auto channel selection" meaning it'll select whatever channel has the least traffic on it.

On your router, is there an option to use "auto channel" ? I found that my laptops at home had trouble reconnecting after starting up if I used that setting and the router switched channels while they were powered down.

I'm using the integrated wireless on the ASUS P5W-DH, and the antenna that came with it. I think the problem might be the antenna, but I want to make sure before I go spend $20+ on a nice antenna.

My bad, I thought you were on a laptop. If you do go with a different antenna, Dlink makes a 7dbi gain omni, but it's quite big, and around $40. The directional ones work really nice (and offer +6 dbi), but again are pricey.

Are you using WPA or WEP security? I've seen WEP cause some issues with disconnects, but I think they were to do with someone trying to crack it.

Thanks,
Indybird
:)

Luke122
11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh also, a spectrum analyzer may be a good idea here.. if people are using the same channels but hiding their SSID's, then you wont necessarily see their wifi, but it will play havoc with yours.

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
You could always pick up a cheap wireless card with an antenna on a cord... that's what I have, it works great.

Computer-Geek
11-08-2007, 04:27 PM

I will try that if I can even get to it since its not in "my" part of the house lol.

I am going to try that. Btw I think it was a DHCP issue & I changed the settings to 23 hours.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6136/connection1xj7.jpg
I have been sleeping for most of the day but I will check If I get disconnected.

Edit: Just did :rolleyes:

Computer-Geek
11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know how i can fix this ?

OvRiDe
11-11-2007, 04:12 AM
I just found this .. maybe it can help!?!?

LY8Wi7XRXCA

BTW.. He's got a bunch of REALLY helpful tips out here.. http://www.youtube.com/user/infinitesolutions

a.Bird
11-11-2007, 04:12 AM
If you can connect to your neighbors' router but not your router in your own home, I highly doubt that messing with your network card is going to do any good. It may sound rudimentary but have you simply tried updating the firmware of your router?

Computer-Geek
11-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Yes I Tried But its already up to date.I screwed with some settings or something I guess. I did notice that the router was really hot but from what? I mean its all the way on the top of a computer desk.Currently I can connect to my network but I just get disconnected alot. My router seems to be rebooting itself alot. OvRiDe I will check out that video soon but i'm currently on dialup ><

a.Bird
11-12-2007, 03:24 AM
The video is how to turn your cell phone into a satellite dish.

Computer-Geek
11-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Oh great....

OvRiDe
11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Negative Rep!?! I apologize for bringing some humor into the mix... :rolleyes:
I thought he was very convincing... :D

Does anyone know how i can fix this ?

I would have to go with the very first solution that was posted..

Your router is overheating.

and then again by Luke122

I agree with Crenn that the router may be overheating, ...

Yes I Tried But its already up to date.I screwed with some settings or something I guess. I did notice that the router was really hot but from what? I mean its all the way on the top of a computer desk.Currently I can connect to my network but I just get disconnected alot. My router seems to be rebooting itself alot. OvRiDe I will check out that video soon but i'm currently on dialup ><

Sometimes electronics just go bad, and when they do they get hot and quit working properly. I had an Linksys 802.11b router that did something very similar. I happened to have a identical router left over from another deployment. Put the other router in and everything was restored to normal.

I know you have been centering on the card and not the router. Are you the only one using the WiFi on this router? Is anyone else having the same problems you are?

Computer-Geek
11-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm the only one with a laptop so yup I'm the only one using wifi. I may try to swap routers to see if theres any difference. I thought the humour was a bit out of place but no worries. It seems that other people have had similar issues with this router though but what can I expect it came free from verizon. I'm not paying for the internet so I won't buy a new router but i have another one which is the same model.

OvRiDe
11-12-2007, 11:49 PM
I thought the humour was a bit out of place but no worries.

Well it was about boosting wireless signal using "Ethernet Induction Capabilities of Digital Cell Networks" which totally cracked me up, but as you can see by the post time it was pretty late in my neck of the woods.

Anywho.. hopefully its just a bad router and the replacement will get you back in business.

crenn
11-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Easy solution, small deskfan pointed at router!

Luke122
11-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Crenn, I need to buy you a drink. You always beat me to the answers.. lol. :D Simple + elegant solution. :D (well... as long as the router isnt already toast)

Computer-Geek
11-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmm it's in my cousins room so that might not work but we will see.

crenn
11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Crenn, I need to buy you a drink. You always beat me to the answers.. lol. :D Simple + elegant solution. :D (well... as long as the router isnt already toast)

Providing the drink is non-alcoholic ginger beer!

Routers can take a little bit of heat.... believe me, I know!

Luke122
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Non-alcoholic? Where's the fun in that? ;)

Whatever floats your boat. :D

crenn
11-13-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't drink alcohol.... except lemon lime and bitters which has very little.

Computer-Geek
11-15-2007, 12:41 AM
//End Offtopic//

I reset the modem & now it works fine. I still do get disconnected every once in a while though.

Crimson Sky
11-15-2007, 04:19 AM
I was getting disconnected from my wireless a LOT...until i realized that my damn cordless house phone is operating on the 2.4ghz frequency...and so was my router. I simply switched the router settings to operate on 2.7ghz

duh. LoL

Computer-Geek
11-15-2007, 04:34 AM
I set the router to run on channel 11 which seems to help :) I changed the frequency of the phone in my room but the phone in the living room cant be changed.

a.Bird
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Have you power cycled all of your network components (including your computer)?

Computer-Geek
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes before I reset the modem I did that. I still have no clue why I'm getting disconnected though. Sometimes its like 3 times in a row and sometimes it has like an hour gap.

crenn
11-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Got a fan for the router yet?

Crazy Buddhist
11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Try every channel to see what one works best - as changing channel seems to have helped. This implies interference was the cause of the problem.

Get a USB wifi adapter then you can move it around to find the best signal. Higher signal/noise ratio = less dropouts.

Some routers have the wifi on a daughterboard. These can slip lose and cause random disconnection. Opening up the router And checking its all well-seated can solve this.

Computer-Geek
11-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Got a fan for the router yet?

No not yet.

Try every channel to see what one works best - as changing channel seems to have helped. This implies interference was the cause of the problem.

Get a USB wifi adapter then you can move it around to find the best signal. Higher signal/noise ratio = less dropouts.

Some routers have the wifi on a daughterboard. These can slip lose and cause random disconnection. Opening up the router And checking its all well-seated can solve this.

Have any usb wifi adapters that you recommend?

Crazy Buddhist
11-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Have any usb wifi adapters that you recommend?

I'm using a Belkin one. Really cheap it is. When I was in the hospital the built in WIFI got 1 bar signal and used to drop out, drop packets and slowly load web pages whilst the Belkin one I had on a usb extension stuck upside down like a bat from a steel beam (held with scotch) - got 5 bars and never dropped out.

It's a FD7050 wireless-G adapter and costs aout $60 in the UK.