PDA

View Full Version : Skype? Free internet based phone calls?

TheGreatSatan
11-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Is the title right? I know nothing about Skype, who does?

cured
11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Skype is free for internet to internet calls. But internet to landline/mobile costs. BUT! the price for credit is Amazing. It is really cheap. so yes and no.

DaJe
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
It used to be completely free, but like this year they started charging for calls made to actual phones. I myself have Skype Unlimited, which is $30 a year and allows you to make calls to any phone in the U.S. and Canada. You can also buy credit and make internaitonal calls. Or you could get Skype Pro and call wherever, and you can have your own number and have people call your computer an a ton of other stuff.

.Maleficus.
11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
My dad has used Skype a few times. Made calls to business partners in China and Brazil. I was thinking about getting it and using my EasyCall to its full potential.

Crazy Buddhist
11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Satan,

I use it a lot. have done for a couple of years.

For PC to PC its free worldwide. I also use Skype pro that means any UK call costs me 3p (6c) connection and that's it. Calls to the US and most other developed nations (including mobiles in the US) cost me around 2c a minute.

I have a US Robotics Skype Dual-phone which is plugged into my land line and a USB socket on my computer. It's a portable digital telephone that lets me route calls through either Skype or the land line - whichever best suits my purpose and, of course, receive calls on both on one device.

The call quality is better than standard land line quality because the Skype proprietary codec encodes a much greater range of frequencies than standard telephone systems. (This can take a little getting used to).

I also have my Skype forwarded to my landline when I am not online so I do not miss calls. Costs me 2c a minute but hell that's nothing. Oh ... and the land line is redirected to the mobile when I am not home which can lead to amusing situations such as a friend, an Indian Monk, calling me for a chat on Skype and being rather amazed to discover he was talking to me on Skype while I did my grocery shopping.

Basically it's a freely downloadable program that definitely carries no spyware, offers free voice and video calling worldwide PC to PC and more if you want it, a very clean chat client and an excellent backgammon add-on.

You can't go wrong ... unless you try using it with a Mic and speakers in which case it is not pleasant - either major feedback issues or you gotta shove a speaker in your ear issues.

:)

Matthew

noopypoop
11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
yea its pretty good. when i tried WoW, my friends used skype instead of teamspeak. supposably its better

Ichbin
11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
noopy, omg, skype is a bit of a bandwith hog however.

If you want to make international call, most definitally go with skype credit. its like...2 cents per minute.

It DOESNT replace your landline. aka. You cant call 911.

Crazy Buddhist
11-21-2007, 12:40 PM
noopy, omg, skype is a bit of a bandwith hog however.

If you want to make international call, most definitally go with skype credit. its like...2 cents per minute.

It DOESNT replace your landline. aka. You cant call 911.

Bandwidth? hahahahaha !!! lol 8.9Mb/s on the lappy over my wireless at peak time ... and yesterday evening hit 17Mb/s ... I can spare a little bandwidth ;)

Yes its the cheapest international calling option anywhere.

:)