PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

Zephik
11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
How do I stop my ISP from knowing I'm using a file sharing program. They just sent me an email saying that "oh blah blah blah, did you know you have 50 worldwide connection? blah blah blah".

Before anyone gets all "file sharing is illegal, its against forum rules, blah blah blah". I'm not using it for illegal purposes. I've been downloading south park, which is legal thanks to matt stone and trey parker. I'm not in the mood to google it, but its there if you look for it. I think its on the Southparkzone.com website.

Thanks in advance

calumc
11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
turn on the encryption in your client and they cant see what protocol you're using.
But if its the connections theyre complaining about try limiting your connections

Luke122
11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I agree with Calumc's answer... I actually did the same on mine. :) I use torrents to get linux distros mostly, so nothing illegal about that.

.Maleficus.
11-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, maybe Tor would work? I'm not sure though.

I love torrents. Like Luke, I use them mostly for Linux distros and other packaged programs. Linux really likes torrents. And I really like TorrentFlux.

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 11:02 PM
How could I do that in uTorrent? I use it for random Linux stuff and mods for games (legal, like Oblivion and all) that I can't get elsewhere.

EDIT: Like addon mods and such, not CD cracks or whatever.

Zephik
11-08-2007, 11:31 PM
How could I do that in uTorrent? I use it for random Linux stuff and mods for games (legal, like Oblivion and all) that I can't get elsewhere.

EDIT: Like addon mods and such, not CD cracks or whatever.

I love those oblivion mods, some of them are just freaking amazing. :)

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-bittorrent-traffic/

xRyokenx
11-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah. It's too bad that I don't feel like playing it anymore, levelling your character back up is a bitch to do.

EDIT: That was easy to do, lol. Thanks man.

D1337
11-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Obviously if they are contacting you about it, then you are breaking the contract you or your family made with the isp, whether it being illegal files or just saying in the contract you cannot use file sharing applications outside of your personal network.

Trust me, they wouldn't be calling you up asking what your doing if it was legal.

On a side note i did read the quotes from matt stone and trey parker, but it still seems to me as thats what they want, i didnt see an official statement from comedy central.

calumc
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
well with the encryption on they wont be able to see what the packets are but its probably just because your just a heavy user

Zephik
11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Obviously if they are contacting you about it, then you are breaking the contract you or your family made with the isp, whether it being illegal files or just saying in the contract you cannot use file sharing applications outside of your personal network.

Trust me, they wouldn't be calling you up asking what your doing if it was legal.

On a side note i did read the quotes from matt stone and trey parker, but it still seems to me as thats what they want, i didnt see an official statement from comedy central.

I believe it was more of a "Hey, we're just letting you know" email. They didn't say anything about there being a problem, just that "Did you know blah blah blah?". They also mentioned that it was using 50 percent of our bandwidth. So if their complaining that we're using half of what we're paying for, then they can go stick it to themselves because thats pretty lame. I don't think thats the case though.

well with the encryption on they wont be able to see what the packets are but its probably just because your just a heavy user

I'm encrypting everything to the best of my knowledge. I don't want some, to my knowledge, fairly small company that I don't know anything about aside from that they provide my internet, snooping around on any of the computers connected to our network. They might be good guys, they might be bad. They might all be good except one bad apple who has yet to show his colors. You never know, we live in a pretty messed up world (geek squad ;-]). So hopefully by taking your guys tips I can't become more safe when using the internet and some of its branches.

oh yea, and I'm really not a heavy user. Unless you think a heavy user is a person who downloads once a week or less overnight. We're talking a usual maximum of less than or around a gigabyte. Yea, overnight, once a week or less. I mean jeeze, I've been downloading for years, I used to be a heavy illegal downloading user about 2 years ago, music and all that, probably a couple gigs a day. Never even got an email. Man, I should really go back to that service, they rocked. lol :rolleyes:

Do you guys know of any other way to encrypt data or anonymity programs or whatnots? I've never really cared before about someone "hacking" into my pc's and stealing information or just looking at personal belongings in my pc's or whatever, so I guess this is as good of a time to learn as any.

Thanks for the help btw! +reps on the house! :D

Luke122
11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Our local ISP sends out emails like that to people, in case they arent aware of the large usage going on. The owner doesnt patrol unless the user is WAY over their limit for the month, but with the increasing amount of "zombies" (pc's that are compromised and used for ddos attacks, file serving, etc), he sends out letters as a courtesy.

"Did you know you did this much traffic this week?" Really? I didnt know that.. better look into it. :)

I'd say safely ignore their email. :D