PDA

View Full Version : External Caddie please help

FlyingZook
11-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum though i have been crusing around here looking at all the sweet cases. but enough of the intro. I have a problem with my 3.5" hard drive external caddie. when i plug the usb lead in when the power is connected to the caddie i get a annoying humming like when you put your finger on a speaker plug, the speakers just crackle and hiss. the harddrive doesn't even have to be turned on and it is bad because i can't leave the drive on whilst playing music. Has anyone else had this problem. i have also tried different usb leads and it doesn't help. Thanks

slytherock
11-10-2007, 11:47 PM
onboard sound?

FlyingZook
11-11-2007, 02:36 AM
I had it plugged into the same powerboard as my speakers. when i plugged it into a different socket it stoped. all fixed

crenn
11-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Sounds like a grounding issue to me....

FlyingZook
11-13-2007, 07:39 AM
what do i need to do to fix it? thanks

Luke122
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I would start with checking the power lead. If it's still happening, I would contact an electrician to check the outlet for possible damage or incorrect hook up.

If your PC is in that outlet also, I would try another one to be sure... incorrect hook up of an outlet can damage or even destroy your PC.

Are you connecting through a UPS or powerbar of some kind, or an extension cord? If so, try to swap those also to test.