PDA

View Full Version : Recommended FREE backup software?

D1337
11-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Alright, my old "all around" Pc keeps going on the fritz, one thing after another. I seem to have to reformat like once every too months. Im sure its not because of viruses, but rather a failing HDD (or maybe i just ruin things?)

Anyways, I put in a slave HDD and wold like to back up everything from my master to my slave.

I'd like to be able to set backup times, like everyday during the night, what it backs up (obviously not games), and thats pretty much it...

I dont want to spend money (who does) on some half decent software when i can get the same quality for a different free program.

Any Recommendations?

DaJe
11-12-2007, 05:53 AM
With that lawsuit that happened, if you have a Seagagte hard drive from the last like 6 years, you can get free backup software from them.

OvRiDe
11-13-2007, 01:21 AM
I guess the first question is what kind of backup are wanting to do. Are you wanting to do a sync style copy, where it copies the actual files as they are into a directory structure on the other hard drive, or are you wanting to do a backup that copies the files into a compressed format and as a single file.

The latter can be accomplished using "Backup" located under the System Tools section under Accessories. From here you can select everything from the files to backup, the type of backup (normal, incremental, or differential), where or what device to back the files up to, and schedule when the backups will take place. Quick note... Even though it copies the files into a compressed single file you are able to restore single files using the Backup program. Until earlier this year I must admit that I never put much faith in the built in backup program, but we ended up using it when in a bind. It performed much better then I had expected and it really made things pretty easy. No extra software to have to load after a fresh install, since its included in the OS. Just point the restore at the backup file that was created and restore.

If you are looking for the sync style backup, I would check into the free Microsoft SyncToy (I have no idea why they would name it that) or Syncback has a free version that works well. http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html (Look at the bottom SyncBack Freeware). I use SyncBackSE so I am not sure if the scheduling feature was included in the Freeware version but it may just be a matter of using it in conjunction with Windows Scheduler. Its been a while since I have used SyncToy as well and I cannot recall if it has a scheduling feature, other then the Windows Scheduler route. Of course you could also use a good old fashion bat file, the DOS Xcopy command and the Windows Scheduler to backup files as well.

Hope this helps..

EDIT:I loaded up the SyncBack freeware and it has a function to schedule the backups included.

Luke122
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
If you are just looking to grab specific folders, what I've done here is write a batch file to do a differential backup of certain folders, and then just scheduled it using the task scheduler. (I should mention that this doesnt record user permissions on folders, but I havent really investigate it, as I dont need that ability atm)

If anyone is wondering, a differential backup will only copy the files and folders that have changed since the last backup, making it very efficient, since it doesnt back up files that are unchanged since the last backup. The first time you run it, it will backup everything, but after that it's gravy. :)

I can post the script if anyone is interested. :)

D1337
11-17-2007, 10:59 PM
for some reason i never saw these replies in "new posts", anyways im wanting to compress grab and compress them(second one)

nvm, i tried the windows backup before my original post, but it refused to let me back up to a non external device. So i just now saw it has an advanced button, which allowed me to do it the way i wanted..

thanks for the input though.