PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet problems-computer freezes

intergalacticman
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
ok, so on my desktop mozilla firefox runs really slow, because i piggyback off the neigboring wireless connection. thats not bad but afer a while it stops working and the computer freezes when i open the "search for wireless connection" box comes up. umm there are some factors that could influence this; i downloaded the wireless card drivers from sourceforge and not the legit website, i have a hacked copy of XP running, and i use someone elses wireless connection. would it run better if i just bought my own wireless router?

intergalacticman
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
btw i use a D-link card

crenn
11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Buy:

Your own router
A legal copy of windows

Luke122
11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Buy:

Your own router
A legal copy of windows

...here I am, too slow again.

And as usual, +agree, +agree.

Xp is cheap as hell right now.. $159 for OEM (if you buy some components). Get it legit, get support, etc.

calumc
11-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Its not the windows thats the problem, its just that the signal isnt strong enough.
If you really want to steal the connection maybe try and get a card with a better antennae.

crenn
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Or a bowl will aluminum.... and a cable to 'extend' the antennae.

D-link make a 'monster' antennae. 7dBi.

EDIT: It can be rare, but it could be a windows problem. Don't cross anything out.

intergalacticman
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
yeah ill buy a router, but my wallet cant handle a legit copy of xp.

cured
11-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Hahahahaha HACKED XP FTW!

Crazy Buddhist
11-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Get a usb wireless antennae and build a parabolic dish for it like the one here (click the pic for full instructions):

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/diydish.jpg (http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/)

Then point it at your neighbours router.

The signal drop-outs are because you are at the edge of range and the connection to the router unstable. So many packets are being lost the router or the card gets confused and freezes up.

:)

Crimson Sky
11-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Hacking hardware FTW. Hacking software, WTF. Please read the rules.

jdbnsn
11-16-2007, 12:31 PM
This has been clearly stated in the forum policies as a strict violation. You are all on notice. Don't repeat this crime again.