PDA

View Full Version : Music Creation Program

xRyokenx
11-16-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm looking for a program that I can create music with on my PC. I'd prefer it to be for Windows XP but I can try to get Linux to work if necessary.

I'm planning on using it both for personal use and to figure out how to use it and learn about it for a paper I have to write. If I make anything good, I'll post links to it from somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just heard of FL Studio from a friend. I'ma try out the trial for a while and see how it is. But if anyone has any other programs they like or have heard things about, go ahead and post them. Oh yeah, feel free to have a discussion too if you want. I don't mind.

Elenril
11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I'd mainly recommend FL Studio. It's easy to learn and use, very straightforward, with good results. I've used it in the past, and my friend uses it as well for his music (he just released a CD).

The only other free music program I can think of at the moment is Finale NotePad, but that's more for people who can write and play music, rather than just fiddling around and trying what sounds good.

My favourite (and the easiest) music program I've used so far is GarageBand, but of course that's only for macs, and costs a bit.

Other programs we use at school are Sibelius, ACID Pro and Finale. But they are very expensive, and once again, mostly for professional musicians.

HackSore
11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
FL is pretty good, although i never had the patience to really learn how to use it.

I would recommend Steinberg Nuendo, its a fantastic bit of kit for recording purposes, and you can also use software like EZ drummer, drumkit from hell etc for drum programming. Im guessing there are loads of other sample banks out there for other instruments you could use in conjunction with it, but i have only even needed drum programming, as i dont have the hardware to mic up my kit!

The only downside is the price tag!

But it really is an awesome bit of kit, most of the studios i have recorded in have been running a steinberg product.

EDIT: I just had a look at the steinberg site, and there a loads of software packages for various instruments, only problem is, they are all pretty pricey.

xRyokenx
11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys. +rep

FL should suit my needs for now.

Airbozo
11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
One of the electronic music mags comes with free software that is really pretty good. I will pull out one of the DVD's and get the name for you. The magazine is under $15 (us) and comes with a DVD with software, effects and many many plugins. It is NOT cheapo software either rather a professional package. Let me check...

xRyokenx
11-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Cool. After you post the name I'll go ahead and take a look for it.

Airbozo
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Do you have a midi keyboard or do you just plan on creating the tracks directly on your pc keyboard? (the software works either way)

This is the magazine's site;
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/

Not sure if you can download the software or if you have to buy the magazine.

xRyokenx
11-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I just have a regular keyboard. I'm just gonna try to make some music and all, but nothing too complex for now. I'll take a look at it.

Luke122
11-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Ntrack studio is a free multitrack recording package. I've used it in the past with some pretty good results.

Also, there was a free version of protools available, but I"m not sure if it's still out there or not.

Reyer
11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Ableton Live is pretty amazing if you have a MIDI instrument.