PDA

View Full Version : format help

cured
11-16-2007, 04:10 AM
I tryed to format in normal windows and Safe mode with CMD.

C:\Documents and Settings\***\> (then I write) Format C:
The Type of the file system is NFTS (Y/N)?

I choose Y (Yes) and I press enter. Then i get this:

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. All opened handles to this volume would be invalid.
Would you like to force a dismount of this volume (Y/N) ?

(I choose Y and then press enter and this is what it writes):

Cannot lock drive. This volume is still in use.

How do i format! lol help.

D1337
11-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Is that HDD, your only harddrive? If its not then is it the one that you installed windows on?

Because you cant format windows if windows is running..
You could always just restart and boot off the windows install cd and just reformat it that way.

cured
11-16-2007, 04:52 AM
I have a cracked Xp cd, but it's fresh install only. I'm not sure if if it has format options.

But when i reinstall windows it keeps all my profiles and data :\

Crazy Buddhist
11-16-2007, 06:30 AM
You need to download and run a bootdisk I use bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com/). Run the exe file with a blank floppy in. Then boot from the bootdisk and format your C:/ drive. Don't worry what formatting it does but if you can find one that does NTFS use that.

Alternatively find and run makeboot32.exe on the XP cd but you'll need four floppies and it creates a set of four disks that you boot from in turn. These boot in dos and load the NT kernel and some other crap then initiate the install from the CD. It gives you the option to format during the install process. Chose C and click yes whenever there is a warning.

Using either method you will lose all data on the drive and programs and have a completely fresh install. If you want to retain some data on the drive get the Win98SE with NTFS support bootdisk from the above link and just delete the windows folders then do your install.

:)

cured
11-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Okay i did a new install and i found a format entrie that i used! So all is good Thanks guys

SgtM
11-16-2007, 08:14 AM
1. You can't format while windows is running.
2. Please do not talk about cracked software here.
3. Use DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net) for your formatting needs.

cured
11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
I never did talk about the specifics. I was just saying that it was cracked.

XcOM
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
just as bad, we don't care what you do with your software, just don't air it, its just asking for trouble,

Me myself have modded windows soo much i think i have broken most parts of the EULA, but M$ endorse it

cured
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Okay wow.. sorry if i offended anyone over a copy of Microsoft.. pssh

Airbozo
11-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Okay wow.. sorry if i offended anyone over a copy of Microsoft.. pssh

Dude, No one is offended, we would just rather not have you bringing up illegal activities on this forum. Our sponsors and advertisers visit this site and we do not want them to think or assume that we support or endorse cracked software or it will become impossible to sell ad space or get prizes for the Modder's Challenge.

Thanks for your understanding!

TT

SgtM
11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Airbozo's exactly right. No offence taken, and definitely none meant.

calumc
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a cracked Xp cd, but it's fresh install only. I'm not sure if if it has format options.

But when i reinstall windows it keeps all my profiles and data :\

it will have format options just like a normal xp cd.
But please dont use it, support microsoft:evil: or if you're on a budget switch to linux:):bunny:

Luke122
11-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah, there are so many good linux distro's out there to try, why would you even bother stealing a copy of Windows anymore?
;)

Hell... why would you even buy Windows? lol... jk, I know that all of the gamers on the site just gasped when I said that. :D

D1337
11-16-2007, 08:24 PM
He's not going to just ditch his pirated windows and go buy an official version, nor will he use only linux.

This should be closed since it can be fixed with a retail version of windows.

Dilphat
11-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, there are so many good linux distro's out there to try, why would you even bother stealing a copy of Windows anymore?
;)

Hell... why would you even buy Windows? lol... jk, I know that all of the gamers on the site just gasped when I said that. :D

haha, i gasped!

cured
11-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Alright, thanks.

I don't think linux supports Starcraft!

crenn
11-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't think linux supports Starcraft!

WRONG!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~hoppq/sc-howto.html