PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Dictionary upgrade/update?

Spawn-Inc
11-20-2007, 04:31 PM
has anyone upgraded or updated theres to the likeness of a google search of a word or Microsoft word?

when i first fully switched to mozilla i thought it was the greatest thing in the world. but after using it, its really pissing me off with the stupid responses you get for various words spelt wrong. here are two examples after writing the above statement. it wouldn't bother me so much but i'm not all that the best with words, spelling wise.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2891/firefoxqi2.jpg

so if someone has updated or added the correct spelling of alot of words can you post them here, thanks.

in case you don't know how to access them just go to here and copy the text in the file and paste here.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<profile name>
persdict.dat holds the personal dictionary entries used by the spellchecker added by you.

thanks for any help!

D1337
11-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I updated mine to a new(?) or maybe it was a modified word list and well, it was still kinda crappy.

Scotty
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
agreed, it's crap.
it can't spell anything, and if you add words...well it doesn't add them!

My spelling isn't the best i thought it would be great, but no. It FAILED.

Spawn-Inc
11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
it's gotten about half the words, the other time i just google the word at about 99% google gets it right. i was just wondering if anyone else had the same problems and or a easy fix, i can go add words but i don't feel like doing such a thing as it would take for ever.

crenn
11-21-2007, 01:28 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

I'm not sure, but see if this will help.

Spawn-Inc
11-21-2007, 01:33 AM
hmm, installing the Canadian one doesn't seem to have corrected the colour/color but +rep for the link.

EDIT: gotta spread the rep, will go check out the worklogs.
EDIT2: repped.

crenn
11-21-2007, 01:39 AM
lol, the edits of that post put a big grin on my face xD

Crazy Buddhist
11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
If you have more than one dictionary installed remember to right click on a misspelled word and select --> languages --> the language you want Firefox to use.

Otherwise all the updating in the world won't help.

Personally I love the Firefox spell check feature and rely on it constantly and find it works really well.

:)

Spawn-Inc
11-27-2007, 12:14 AM
indeed, thats for that CB +rep :) look color is spelt wrong and not colour, silly Americans haha

EDIT, need to spread the rep around so i will have a look through the worklogs... again! :)
EDIT2: repped!

Crazy Buddhist
11-27-2007, 02:44 AM
indeed, thats for that CB +rep :) look color is spelt wrong and not colour, silly Americans haha

I take it that worked then :D

Spawn-Inc
11-27-2007, 03:37 AM
the one word, i haven't typed enough for me to fully judge the new dictionary in action.

Crazy Buddhist
11-27-2007, 03:50 AM
the one word, i haven't typed enough for me to fully judge the new dictionary in action.

AAh ... how our experience can be coloured by a single word ;)

ps I can vouch for the British English dictionary. Queen's English anyone?

Fuganater
11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't know why it doesn't add your words Spawn. Works fine for me. I do regularly update it and add all my funky words and it keeps.