PDA

View Full Version : Router problems

Reyer
11-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I am having a problem with connecting to a few sites that used to be perfectly accessible.

Until yesterday, I could get onto the site "halo3forum.com" and it was all good. But my Internet started acting up so I repaired my connection, and reset my router, and now I cant connect to it.

My computer is hooked up to a router, my other computer is hooked up to the same router, and it has no problem connecting to the site.

I have tried every thing, and I am out of ideas. If any one has an idea of what I can do, please help.

Reyer
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
This is the message I get:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.halo3forum.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Luke122
11-20-2007, 04:55 PM
If one computer works and the other doesnt, it's not a router problem.

Are you running any kind of firewall, internet security, or filtering software on the PC with the problem? If so, try turning it off.

Also, some programs (such as Spybot (http://security.kolla.de)) can edit the hosts file, to redirect sites that are considered to be dangerous.

Open a command prompt, and try to ping the website. If the IP comes up at 127.0.0.1, it's being blocked in the hosts file.

Actually, you can try a "tracert (website address)" from the command prompt too. That will tell you where it's timing out reaching the site.

-Luke

Reyer
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Right now im running ZoneAlarm Pro, Webroot Spy Sweeper, and Trend MicroAntiVirus.

When I ping the site I get the message: Ping request could not find host halo3foru.com. Please check the name and try again.

When I tracert it, i get: Unable to resolve target system name halo3forum.com.

Its just some problem with connecting to the server, and I am getting angry.

jdbnsn
11-20-2007, 06:30 PM
My guess would be windows firewall if you have it enabled. But I assume you have tried disabling all security stuff like Luke said to check for connection?

BTW- This is really an item for the fix-it-shop forum so I'm going to move it over there.

SgtM
11-20-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna have to echo Luke and Jon on this. That's definitely a problem with the PC itself and not the network. First thing I would do is turn off Zone Alarm, and then try and see what happens. If it's still blocked, you know it's one of the other programs blocking it. Start turning each one off by itself to isolate it. A really easy way to test is start a continuous ping (ping www.halo3forum.com -t) and when you start getting replies, you know you found the culprit. Ctrl+C will break the cont ping when you need to.

peverbian
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Another thing to try would be going to a command prompt and running

ipconfig /flushdns

This will clear out your DNS resolver cache and make it go out to your DNS server to get the address rather than try to remember it. Are there any other pages you can't get to? Can you ping any other pages (usually I'll try google or yahoo)

Cannibal23
11-22-2007, 02:10 PM
the error message that you quoted "Ping request could not find host halo3foru.com" is definately a failure of name resolution message. first off. is your pc getting a proper ip address? if so can you ping your router? if you can ping your router can you ping your internet provider's domain name? if you have a proper ip address from dhcp and you are unable to ping while your internet security software is dissabled you may have winsock corruption try these tests and get back to us here. if it is winsock corruption i have detailed instructions on how to fix it.