PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps shuting down... why?

Fuganater
11-21-2007, 10:55 AM
So I just built my dad a computer for his birthday. All the hardware is almost brand-spanking-new. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate on it and everything was going great. Next I installed Diablo 2 to make sure it would run on Vista. This is where the problems start. The game will startup, screen goes black then NOTHING. :mad: Computer then shuts down. Now I'm thinking its over heating but I have no idea to test it. I've tested all the parts individually and they work fine. So I though it was Vista, so I installed XP to see if that would change anything. During the installation the computer just shuts down. Usually around the format stage. Still I think it is the processor overheating but I have a wicked cooler on it so I have no idea how it could be that.

If someone could shed some light on this soon it is much appreciated. His birthday is tomorrow so I only have tonight to work on it.

Thanks,
Fuga

SgtM
11-21-2007, 11:05 AM
My first 2 suspects would be heat and the PSU. Can you post the specs?

Ichbin
11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Its always handy to do a chkdsk.

Run it through the recovery console.

xRyokenx
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd also go into the compatibilities tab in the settings for Diablo II (right click, properties) and set it to whatever the OS was when it came out.

Fuganater
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
My first 2 suspects would be heat and the PSU. Can you post the specs?

Full Specs
Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz
400W PSU
XFX 8500GT 512MB Video Card
2 GB Corsair RAM
320 GB HD
Arctic Cooler Freezing 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835186134) <--- Was hard to get on due to position of the fan. This is my suspect.

@Ichbin - HD is fine. I used it in my computer.

xRyokenx
11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
When I built my new rig (new mobo, RAM, video card, and HDD is pretty much a new rig, lol) the heatsink wasn't touching the CPU and I had to get another one. I'd pull it off and see if it's connecting.

EDIT: It might only be touching partially, hence why it boots up but crashes whenever it tries to do something under load... like running a game (older, but still...).

Fuganater
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
When I built my new rig (new mobo, RAM, video card, and HDD is pretty much a new rig, lol) the heatsink wasn't touching the CPU and I had to get another one. I'd pull it off and see if it's connecting.

EDIT: It might only be touching partially, hence why it boots up but crashes whenever it tries to do something under load... like running a game (older, but still...).

I talked to my teacher and he said it might be the paste. I'm going to clean it off when I get home and try to reapply the paste. Hopefully that is the only problem because its a quick fix.

Luke122
11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Make sure you arent using too much paste. A little bit is all that is needed.. like the size of a grain of rice. :)

Xperiment
11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Is there not an option within the bios to read CPU temps? At least you could check the temps before re-mounting the HSF.

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Ryo has given some great advice here. Also be awaree that TOO much thermal paste acts like a barrier. All you need is a drop the size of a grain of rice. The purpose is to fill slight imperfections in the metallic heat spreader on a microscopic level. Use a stiff piece of flat plastic to spread a thin, even layer on the processor only.

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Is there not an option within the bios to read CPU temps? At least you could check the temps before re-mounting the HSF.

another excellent idea. above normal temps in the bios will indicate problems in the OS on load. During a cold start of the computer in a room 70 degrees or so, you should be seeing temps in the 27-35 celsius range for a healthy system.

Fuganater
11-21-2007, 12:07 PM
This is all strange to me because I've never had this problem. Before it was put some past on, mount cooler and go. Thanks for all the help folks!! I'll let ya know if it works or not.

-Fuga

Also thanks again for such quick responses!!

Ichbin
11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I personally like heat spread tape instead. its easier to work with :P.

good luck though!

Hope it works and wish your dad a happy birthday!

Crimson Sky
11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Also thanks again for such quick responses!!

Hey, we live to serve. Good luck with it!

Crazy Buddhist
11-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Aside from all the other good advice I would also check the video card is properly seated and that no dust or other foreign materials are in the slot or on the contacts. This sounds very similar to problems I have encountered before with Video Cards - additionally, is the supplementary power plug plugged into the video? If not you could be drawing too much power on one of the other rails of the supply.

:)

Fuganater
11-21-2007, 01:22 PM
The card doesn't require a power connection. Only the mobo requires the Aux power connection.