PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Hard Drive

cookies&cream
11-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a problem with my hardrive a Western Digital sata hardrive MDL:WD1600JS. The problem is that its so corrupted that i cant even reinstall it. It starts of the winxp cd, when it get too the blue screen wether to install fresh copy or repair ive tried both and on both options i get the blue screen of death, i was wondering is there another way of formatting it.

D1337
11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Can you get to the windows recovery console off the cd?

Crazy Buddhist
11-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Is the drive dying? or is the install so corrupt? are you willing to clean install?

If No, Yes, yes, then ==

1/ Boot off a win98SE disk with cdrom support from bootdisk

2/ Format the drive in FAT32

3/ Then boot off the XP install disk and do a clean install or make a set of floppy bootdisks with makeboot.exe on the CD to boot from.

:)

Cannibal23
11-22-2007, 01:52 PM
if you have another pc arround you could try plugging it into that and letting it do a scan disk. this may fix some of the file system errors enough to allow boot or to rescue any data on the disk. there is a posability though that the drive is just dieing. in such case i reccomend against using it to reinstall windows on after.

cookies&cream
11-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I got It To Work!!!:)
to raw. lol
I don't know how i got it to work.
My bro searched for some program that formated the drive and then it worked.
And now i can install windows Xp.:banana:
I'm installing it right now. thought i lost my 14gb of music. :(
And my i tunes library:(
But still im happy it works now:)
I didn't want to buy a new hard drive. Its not even a year old.
Thnx for the help anyways!!!!
HAPPY tHANKS GIVING EVERYONE!!!!

Cannibal23
11-22-2007, 02:01 PM
if your into downloading applications from the net you might look for a tool called easy recovery professional. might help you get some of your data back ;-) if you need help with it let me know and i will sort you out.

SgtM
11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I've always like DBAN for formatting drives. You can do just a quick wipe, or even a DoD approved data wipe. Completely free.. http://dban.sourceforge.net

jdbnsn
11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I have found file scavenger to work miracles in recovering lost data on newly formatted drives, just another option.

Spawn-Inc
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
i just don't have my harddrives corrupt :) *knocks on wood* there only 1 year(610as) and 2 months(410AS) old.