PDA

View Full Version : power button led

ghoul
11-24-2007, 11:44 PM
ok so before i had my tower behind my monitor now i ahve moved it to sit next to it and when i move it i notice that the led for the power button isnt working anymore. the button still works and the computer turns on its just the led seems to be broken. i checked to see if it is plugged in and its plugged in fine.

so my questions are:

can leds blow?

and what would be the best way for me to go about making it work?

thanks in advance

Spawn-Inc
11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
yes a led can blow

swap it for the hdd light, just plug the power led into the hdd light spot on the motherboard, otherwise get some pins (paper clips work great) and hook up a 3v battery, it should light up. you could also try the red line on a floppy power cable for a 5v test.

ghoul
11-25-2007, 03:34 AM
i didnt build my computer and cause i didnt it isnt pluged into the mobo it just has a redand black cable running from a spare molex plug to the led and some transiter to but i cant tell what size cause its coverd by shrink wrap.

and i cant really figure out how to get to the led either i take the besel off the front of the computer and the restart power hdd led power led and front sound and usb ports are like in a litte box

Spawn-Inc
11-25-2007, 03:48 AM
i'm not sure who did that and why, though i guess it does the same function. so the plug at the end is a molex plug i take it? is the connection snug and no wires are loose? if its all plugged in then i think the LED is dead.

if you have a multimeter then put in on a resistance setting or the complete circuit check (not sure if its called that but i mean the setting that beeps when there is a complete circuit) setting and put in on the leads on the led. if there covered poke them with the multimeter leads or cut them a bit with a knife. if the led works it should light up. in order for it to light up though you have to put the red lead on the positive and black on the negative.

ghoul
11-25-2007, 04:05 AM
hmm i dont have a multimeter.

i know it deosnt really amtter if it doesnt wrk cause its sjut an led but id still liek it to work.

so would do you think i shoud go around replaceing it? just buy a new led and solder it on (i do know how to solder and i know a bit aobut electronics)

Spawn-Inc
11-25-2007, 04:23 AM
do you have a old keyboard, dvd, floppy drive, or toy with led's that you know work? rip it out and put on on the wires and see what happens.

i plugged my power light for my eVGA 680i board according to the printing on the motherboard header and it would light up when i put power to the psu and then when i turned the computer on it would shut off. i never really gave it any thought. one day i flipped the wires around and now it the light comes on when the pc is on. i later found out the header for the power led was backwards.

Crimson Sky
11-25-2007, 09:45 AM
The header pins for the mobo LED only puts out 2.3 volts, so you'll have to find the proper LED for it to work. In addition, you have to get the + and - terminals correct on the header pins or the diode wont light.

SgtM
11-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I'll have to echo Spawn and Crimson. It is very easy to replace the LED, although I would check that the polarity is correct before worrying about that. Make sure the + is on the + pin and the - is on the - pin. If you do decide to replace the LED, you can find a list of LED suppliers here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/modwiki/index.php/List_Of_Suppliers#LED.2FLighting). Or you could just go to your local Radio Shack, but they're going to charge you more than $4_for_one_LED.