PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: Help with fancontrol.

Indybird
11-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Lets start off by saying I know absolutely nothing about the real workings of linux. I only know how to use the basic functions on it such as running pre-installed programs.

Heres my problem: I want to control the fans attached to my motherboard since they are both kinda loud when I'm sleeping. Since there is no Speedfan for linux, I searched for something else and found out that ubuntu has a built-in "fancontrol" function. As I said I know absolutely nothing about linux. Could someone tell me (step-by-step in very basic language) how to install and use fancontrol.

Thanks,
Indybird

xmastree
11-25-2007, 04:41 AM
Have you had a look at this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737

Looks a bit complicated though...

Indybird
11-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Have you had a look at this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737

Looks a bit complicated though...

thanks, but even that is too complicated for me. You'd think, that being the smart computer user I am, I'd be able to figure it out but I honestly can't.

Thanks,
Indybird

calumc
11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
thanks, but even that is too complicated for me. You'd think, that being the smart computer user I am, I'd be able to figure it out but I honestly can't.

Now you can see how much windows has damaged you :)
Just imagine what we'd all be capable of if we had started off using Linux?

Scotty
11-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd be capable of nothing then.
Everytime i have tried to install Ubuntu, it destroys my hard drives, so i then have to format and then say screw it.

xmastree
11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Everytime i have tried to install Ubuntu, it destroys my hard drives, Tip: Start with an empty one. It's easier than installing Windows.

calumc
11-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Definitely easier, the last re-install I did took less tan 15 minutes compared to god knows how long with a windoze install. And tweaking everything to your liking takes a lot less time too.

Scotty
11-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I did try an empty one.

It still went wrong, go knows what i did, then i couldn't format it. Useless.

XcOM
11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
i couldn't install fedora 4,5 or 6 as it kept trashing my hard drives, so its not just you

.Maleficus.
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I've never had the problems you guys are having. There's a bit of a learning curve (as with anything) but it's nothing that someone with will and a free weekend couldn't do.

OvRiDe
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM

Thanks,
Indybird

I'd be capable of nothing then.
Everytime i have tried to install Ubuntu, it destroys my hard drives, so i then have to format and then say screw it.

I did try an empty one.

It still went wrong, go knows what i did, then i couldn't format it. Useless.

i couldn't install fedora 4,5 or 6 as it kept trashing my hard drives, so its not just you

I guess that what separates the MEN from the Boys... 8) Right Mal?

I've never had the problems you guys are having. There's a bit of a learning curve (as with anything) but it's nothing that someone with will and a free weekend couldn't do.

Before I get flamed to hell.. I am kidding. I too have never really had the problems stated here lately. Back in 97-98 when I really started using it, I had a lot of issues just getting stuff to do what I wanted, so I know what you are talking about. Todays distros are AWSOME compared to then.
One thing I have learned is if you really want to get proficient at linux, this is EXACTLY the kind of task that can help you get there. As Mal said, you can do this, its just a matter of digging, tinkering, and doing. </peptalk>

If you choose to press on, we would be glad to help where we can, and would love to hear your progress.

.Maleficus.
11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
@ Ovride: [manly voice]Definitely.[/manly voice]

I started using Linux when Ubuntu 6.06 was the latest and greatest, so I've never had it that bad. Everything was started to get easier and easier, and that made me like it more and more, and then when I did have problems, I was able to learn from them.

Crazy Buddhist
11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/29483.html

Looks like mildly complicated is the only way. you have to install imsensors and edit pwmconfig then set up script to run on boot.

I have no idea what all that means exactly but it seems that's what you have to do.

:)

.Maleficus.
11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, lmsensors is what you need (lower case L, not upper case I), and you will need to edit a bunch of stuff like CB said. Trust me, it's more trouble than it's worth. You may as well just build a physical unit to control speeds.

Indybird
11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't mean to be asky but, can someone make me a "step-by-step-by-step" guide? (I put the extra "by-step" because I would need every little tiny step)

By the way, I got a fan controller for all of the case fans, its just that I want to adjust the CPU fan speed.

Thanks,
Indybird

Crazy Buddhist
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
By the way, I got a fan controller for all of the case fans, its just that I want to adjust the CPU fan speed.

Thanks,
Indybird

Could you run it through one of the controller circuits on the one you have and double up two of the case fans on another circuit?

:)

XcOM
12-02-2007, 02:21 PM
oh trust me, i spent an entire week trying to get fedora core 6 to install, it was anaconder kept messing up when i tried to format the partitions, didn't matter if i did it manually, automaticly or full drive or part of a drive.

IndyRacer27
12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
it destroys my hard drive

Does the drive get physically damaged, or just repartitioned to ext(2 or 3), which isn't windows friendly? If it's just been repartitioned, to reformat it for windows, you first have to fdisk it.

IndyRacer27
12-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Indybird, I read through the link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737) offered by xmastree. Where specifically does it get too complicated?

Also, what motherboard do you have? Is it the one in your sig?