PDA

View Full Version : Bad psu fan

bigfoot
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Until i make my new computer i am stuck with one that has horrible specs and the psu fan doesnt work. It gets hot enough to cook on in less than an hour so it needs to be fixed, however i dont want to spend any money on it since im saving what i can got my new computer. Any ideas?

Airbozo
11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
?pull a working fan out of a non-working psu or the same size out of another source? You could even put a different fan in there for the time being (did that on one of my PSU's several years ago).

bigfoot
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
I could try. i have some other psu's but this is one of the smaller ones and dont know if i could use a normal size psu fan. I have never taken a psu apart so would need some help with that.

slytherock
11-26-2007, 04:43 PM
first thing to remember: remove your feet from the water... :D

Spawn-Inc
11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
AFAIK most standard psu's have at least 1 80mm fan. all you need to do is undo all the visible screws, pull off the lid and it should be in 2 pieces. if your worried about a shock just cut the fan wires as close to the fan as possible. do the same with a working psu (i mean working fan) but cut it in the middle or closer to the circuit board. mount the new fan and solder the wires correctly then get some heat shrink or electrical tape and put it all back together.

but yes be careful, though the circuit board should be screwed to one piece of the shell so you would have to jam a screw driver under there for one of the cap's to unleash its fury.

ComputerGuru64x2
11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Very simple to do just follow instructions, Ok first of you going to want to remove your PSU from your case. (Make sure you have turned of your PSU and it is unplugged from its power source)
http://www.allsave.net/computer_parts/psu/power_supply_images/power_supply_p4.jpg
You can see that there is screw holes on various sides of of the fan located on the exterior of the PSU. Carefully remove the screws until you have all sides removed. (You may want to do this on a peice of anti-electro shock paper that comes on most PC parts to prevent static electricity)
Set all the interior parts aside except the fan.
Install the fan in the PSU slot inserting the fan, Fans maybe different sizes so check the size of the fan by reading the label on the orginal fan. Some popular sizes are 60mm, 70mm, 80mm, 90mm 92mm, and even 120mm. You can check by measuring it on a ruler, by the width and converting mm to cm. (Example 80mm = 8cm)

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1033/openpsu.jpg

Insert the screws back in the PSU, and wire through the pin connecting to the motherboard, although some fans can be wire directly to the PSU, so check the PSU an motherboard for a open pin looking like these.

(Standard)
http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/Articles/Sources/Asus_A8N-SLI_Premium/Images/fan.jpg

(Not many board have a open one because the main on is usually dedicated to the CPU)
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/motherboard/20040619/images/4pin_connector_001.jpg

(Or if it comes with a adapter, then use this, it connects to a straight 4 pin molex connection)
http://www.vbd.com/fans/images/products/FA-4-3.jpg

If im missing something someone please comment, I hope you get the job done.
Chris

xmastree
11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Have you tried cleaning the fan? I've fixed quite a few this way. Best thing is, it costs nothing.
Open the PSU, unscrew the fan, and dismantle it. There will be a sticker onthe side opposite the rotor, remove this, and the rubber bung beneath it. You should be able to see the rotor shaft, with a nylon washer on it.
This washer is split, and can be removed with a couple ot tiny screwdrivers, one to hold it and one to pry it open. Once it pings off (try not to lose it), the rotor can be removed.
Clean it up, and poke some rolled up tissue through the hole it came out of.
A drop of light oil in the hole, put it all back together and you're good to go.

This also works for CPU fans, but the're smaller and trickier.

Airbozo
11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
WARNING: Hazardous voltages are present in the PSU. Touching the wrong parts could seriously harm you or others around you. If you are unsure about what you are doing drop the screwdriver and back away SLOWLY!

OK, now that the disclaimer is out of the way, Spawn's, CB's and xmastree's info is dead on (no pun intended). On my current PSU, the fan has a 2 pin connector and is only held in place by a very small drop of hot-glue. On the PSU I am using for the Bubble Gum Mod, I replaced the 80mm fan with a 120mm one and only had to make the vent hole bigger, then drill 2 more holes. Not that hard and the fan in that PSU also had the 2 pin connector held in place by hot-glue.

BTW: I would practice on a NON-working PSU before digging into a working one.

bigfoot
11-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Ok that helps alot i am going to be taking apart one of my non-working psu's first to try removing the rotor in it and take the fan out ill need anyway for practice. However i dont have a solder, that wont be a problem if i have the adapter but if not could i maybe use a...hairdryer? :)> I'm sure i can find someone that has a solder near me.

Needsleep
11-27-2007, 07:13 AM
where are ya bigfoot?

what kinda output u need from ur psu?

if ur in the uk i'm sure i could rustle up something that'll keep ya goin until u get ur new rig :D

bigfoot
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
This is just a stock psu that i salvaged i dont even know how much power it has. Actually this whole computer is salvaged from a place i did an internship at. Going up there somtime this week to see if they have some things for me to mess around with...Got my hands on a dremel :)

Spawn-Inc
11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
if you have any kind of jet or mini torch lighter that will work for soldering. just be careful and mindful where you point it. when i was painting my g15 i used some heatshrink to make a tool to push on tape over where the keys fit in. i didn't want paint in there screwing up my keys. so as i was shrinking the heat shrink i accidentally melted 3 of the key slots. i ended up fixing it by cutting it away and the keys work just fine.

so like i said b e mindful of whats around ya when soldering/using fire:)

bigfoot
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I havent had much time lately today is my gfs 16th birthday, i did however take apart the non-working psu and it was a breeze. I had to cut 2 zip ties and some glue but looks like i wont need to solder. I will find out when i open the other one.