PDA

View Full Version : No more Windows for Me

xRyokenx
11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Windows XP crashed on me earlier and wouldn't allow me to open any programs. I'd go to open one and it would tell me that "(program) is not a valid system32 application" or something along those terms. In safe mode system restore wouldn't work either. I'm now installing Linux and refuse to touch Windows.

crenn
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Have fun with Linux, I'll just stick with my Windows XP and Windows Vista.

D1337
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
and you didnt even ask for help before you reformatted?

xRyokenx
11-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I tried some crap but couldn't access the internet. I'll reinstall later this week and make a backup after everything's running smooth.

In other news, does anybody know how to get World of Warcraft to run on Linux without paying a subscription to some jerkass website?

dexaroni
11-28-2007, 11:42 PM
WINE works with a few things. Do some research on WINE, it will help you A LOT.

Don't expect to play Crysis EVER again though.

xRyokenx
11-28-2007, 11:44 PM
I probably am gonna reinstall Windows (unfortunately)... yes, I know if I stay with Linux I don't get Crysis or any really complex, good games for a long time. It sucks.

Greco101
11-29-2007, 12:19 AM
You can always do what I'm planning on doing as soon as I get a few extra dollars.

Buy another hdd, and after you reformat and get everything back to normal and up to date, ghost it.

Next time ur computer starts goin' crazy, throw all your new important files on a zip drive or w/e then throw in your back up. Swipe the corrupted drive, and ghost the backup onto it.

xRyokenx
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM
It wasn't the HDD but what I think may have been an illegitimate program (don't ask... no idea what happened there. I think it was someone else on my PC screwing with ****) with a virus in it that screwed it over.

Remember kids! Ninjas and pirates are BAD! If you pirate software you will get a bad virus and die! If you ninja illegal software you're likely to get a shuriken in the nether region! And die!

/cheap H*R attempt...

Fuganater
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Putting Linux on.... worst idea for gaming...

xRyokenx
11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Putting Linux on.... worst idea for gaming...

No **** sherlock, hahaha. I'm reinstalling Windows on another partition later this weekend when I feel up to it.

Luke122
11-29-2007, 12:13 PM
..and I bought a mac. *hides*

Fuganater
11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
..and I bought a mac. *hides*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Luke122
11-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Haha.. I figured I'd get that reaction.

2 simple reasons for me to buy a Mac. First, I do tech work for a living, and more and more people are asking me about Macs.. and I know very little/have very little experience with them.

Second, you all know that the design is just sexy as hell!

Oh, and I *could* run XP on it also.. so that's another bonus. :) Mac mini = wicked tiny HTPC. :)

xRyokenx
11-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I posted a thread about a couple video cards in the appropriate section of the forum by the way.

I'm gonna install Windows, get it running good, get it set up the way I want it, and then back it up so this crap doesn't happen again. Yeesh. THAT's a job for tomorrow, heh heh.

Fuganater
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
You should always back up anyways.... a learning experience this is. :P

xRyokenx
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
You should always back up anyways.... a learning experience this is. :P
Yeah it is, lol.

calumc
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
So you're just gonna give up on linux that easily?

Zephik
11-29-2007, 01:48 PM

Yes.

Actually, I have a few months experience under my belt with Ubuntu and WINE. I only recently reinstalled Windows XP. Best decision I ever made. Not that Linux is bad or anything, I actually enjoyed Ubuntu much more than Windows XP. Aside from, you know, being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, without popping brain cells. Ah the advantages of Windows...

By the way, WoW is compatible with WINE (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9429). But I could never get it working for some reason, so I can't say how well it worked. It doesn't seem to support modding though, so mark up another point to running WoW on a Windows machine. Although, if you could get it working on your own on Linux, that would give you at least a +5 to Linux Skillz for your Ring of Nerd. :p

xRyokenx
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM

No. I'm going to install Windows for gaming and such and try to learn how to use Linux better. I wonder if they offer classes at the college I go to... hmm...

Haha, Zephik, good one. I found a tutorial but it isn't too clear about everything. I'm still messing around with it trying to figure it all out. I'll deal with it this evening and see if I can't get some help from a buddy of mine who uses only Linux.

cured
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Windows > Linux

xRyokenx
11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Windows > Linux

Heh. I actually kind of like Linux other than the fact I don't know jack crap about it. I want to learn more. MORE! GRAAAAH! *takes a deep breath* But yeah, if I could, I'd have a Linux PC and a Windows gaming computer to keep the web surfing and the gaming on seperate machines. I hate it when it's all on one thing and when it dies everything else goes with it. One more reason not to buy the iPhone... I don't need my music, portable toilet, phone, blender, washing machine, scooter, helicopter, etc. to all become useless in one accident.

Fuganater
11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Windows > Linux

FTW!!!

calumc
11-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Linux>windoze
Compiz Fusion>vista 3D crap

crenn
11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Linux has a place on my computer.... it's called the DVD drive ;)

slytherock
11-30-2007, 02:05 AM
my 3 main systems are on XP, 1 on OSX for work (all the comps are MAC at work, so I have a power mac G4 at home :( ) and 1 on Fedora. Also tried Linuxmint, but turn back to fedora.

X is perfect for my use. My main is not connected to internet so no problem with this one

Fuganater
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
VISTA FTW!!! It is probably the best OS out there if you have the hardware to run it.

calumc
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
VISTA FTW!!! It is probably the best OS out there if you have the hardware to run it.

You've never tried windows RG Edition!
http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/27549_winrg.swf

xRyokenx
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm gonna have to upgrade to that soon... probably better than Vista. ^_^

Crazy Buddhist
11-30-2007, 02:20 PM

I disagree. Vista is crap-o-matic. Microsoft have been on a downward path since Win98/Win2K were the lead pair. Had they stuck to making those two work perfectly we would be years ahead by now. Every OS since has been less secure, more bloated and more automated - i.e. less control in your hands than with the OS's. Vista takes these to the extreme.

I have dual boot Win2K/WinXP on DeskPooter (AMD X2 4200+), Ubuntu running on a PIII 733Mhz and Mr Vista running on Lappy (Dual Core P4 1.6ghz). Still aiming to be fully Ubuntu/Linux by Christmas because right now the least trouble of the lot - by a long, long way - is the PIII running Ubuntu.

The only things I see Vista doing well are: 1) running USB TV sticks properly and 2) managing TCP/IP properties better.

I'm sure it has things going for it. However, the first thing I did was turn off the flashy crap and cut out all the services I didn't want or need in management console, and it still ate more than half a Gig of Ram all on its own. A month after I bought it I had to do a factory reset because it just plain died. I'm expecting to do the same every month or two until SP1 or 2 come out.

"Mr Vista" has followed Microsoft's trajectory of the last seven years perfectly: down, down, down. For a while after I got Lappy I thought they might have done something right for once. Instead I found out I was wrong about Microsoft's product.

:)

Fuganater
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Meh... runs good for me :D

XcOM
12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
i admit, had it running fine for a while (RTM) but as said above, it takes almost all control out of your hands, as soon as i started changing settings, it started to mess up, i got errors, or some things i couldn't turn off that i didn't need.

And yes, it still ate my memory.

I think 98se and 2k are the best, i only use XP as i use Photoshop CS3, which won't run on anything else.

Killa_Ape
12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Where to begin with Vista, I have to dual boot b/c Steam and Vista fight with each other and there's like 1000000 other people out there having same issue. Vista the last few weeks has really been pissing me off and if you ever have to format good luck find all the proper drivers again unless you make your own bootdisk, and I still don't have all my drivers or proper drivers. (Yes I know drivers aren't Vista's fault but Vista made it harder for some companies to get it to work properly like sound cards)

IndyRacer27
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I started using Linux about a year ago. At first, I ran a dual boot system. After a few months of getting more comfortable with Linux, I kicked Windows off my computers. I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago and almost kept it on Windows, because I couldn't get the wireless card to work in Linux. It took 2 or 3 days of fiddling to get it working properly. Being allowed (encouraged) to tinker with the inner workings of the OS is one of the main reasons why I started looking at Linux in the first place.

luciusad2004
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow, a lot of hate going on in this thread. Both Linux and Windows seem like great operating systems in my opinion. Granted i have very limited Linux experience but it seem like there is a lot of power underneath the hood waiting to be unlocked. Windows is good to. If you want compatibility with everyone else in the world or would like to game, Windows is great. Just don't expect to do much customization. (Though i always did like changing to classic theme and going through and screwing with all of the colors. its just a shame you can't do that with the XP skin. Vista took a step forward letting you pick any color out of the color wheel for you window borders.)

Its all about what your in to and what you plan on using your OS for.

We should just try to get along and hate on a common enemy... Mac OS X

Just kidding, I use OS X as well. Its really pretty but i don't like how locked down apple computers are. At first i didn't care but I've come across little things over time that just start to piss me off. And really TWO themes... wtf. They aren't even different, one has colored buttons the other has silver buttons.

xRyokenx
12-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I got XP installed again and like how it works. If I knew how to use LInux or had a friend that could help me figure stuff out I'd use it, but I don't, so ah well.

D1337
12-10-2007, 01:21 AM
you were only on linux for a little over 2 weeks D:
Windows isnt as bad as what people say it is, its just difficult

IndyRacer27
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM
If I knew how to use LInux or had a friend that could help me figure stuff out I'd use it, but I don't, so ah well.

If you're interested in learning Linux, there are people here who could probably help, plus there is ALOT of info on the internet, including distro specific forums like Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/).

xRyokenx
12-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Well, I learn best if I have someone to show me on hand. One day when I have more free time, lol... well, free time that isn't being used to play WoW, lol.

Nice sig by the way, lol.