PDA

View Full Version : Samba issues

Drum Thumper
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my server and have set my smb.conf file up like this:

[global]
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
workgroup = HOME
netbios name = Server
invalid users = root
security = user
wins support = no
log file = /var/log/samba.log
log level = 3
max log size = 1000
syslog = 1
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat =*Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
obey pam restrictions = yes
pam password change = no
null passwords = no

#Share Definitions

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
writable = yes
security mask = 0700
create mask = 0700

So here's the problems, as there are three of them: I try to set passwords for the two other machines on my network with the smbpasswd -a command and it asks for the password (which is right), verification (again, working as intended) and then it tells me that it failed to update the password for the username I have selected. And yes, I am in root when I try this.

Problem #2: Right now, I'm connecting to my home network on my linux box via wireless, as I haven't found my long assed cat5e cables. My linux box is not showing up on my client table when I look at my router. I'm posting this because I think it might be the culprit with #3...

Problem #3: I can ping my linux box, I can ftp to my linux box, I can telnet to my linux box from the c prompt on my gaming machine. But if I try to connect to it thru firefox, I get the 'server is taking too long' message. Like I said, once I find my 100' cat5, I'll just run a cable from the router right to the back of the box. Would this be due to running wireless atm?

Thanks in advance guys!

OvRiDe
11-29-2007, 11:48 PM
One thing to check is that the Samba server is actually running. You can see it by doing

ps -aux
See if you see anything has the word Samba or smb in it.

Also you can try telnetting to port 445 from another host to see if you get a response. Also are you running IPTables (Firewall) on the server?

Drum Thumper
11-30-2007, 04:22 AM
I figured it out. Went in through the GUI interface and got it to work. Thanks, and a +rep to ya as well for your assistance!