PDA

View Full Version : Review: Team Fortress 2

Ichbin
12-03-2007, 01:30 AM
http://www.blakerobertjohnson.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tf2.jpg

TEAM FORTRESS 2
(MULTIPLAYER) (PC)

Although Team Fortress 2 has been out for awhile, I'm reviewing it nonetheless. Team Fortress 2 is included in the Orange Box. (Which has : Portal, and HL2:EP2 as well.) TF2 has been in development for more then 5 years before it was released on Oct. 10 2007 (On steam). Team Fortress 2 is the sequel to the famous Team Fortress mod for the Quake engine and the Team Fortress Classic based off the Half-Life SDK engine.

For being a game that took more than 5 years to develop, they really did a great job. The game includes intense multiplayer action and a cartoonish feel that keeps the game fun while not losing its intensity.

This game features 9 character classes much like the original. Spy, Pyro, Soldier, Heavy, Medic, Sniper, Demoman, Scout and the Engineer. Each class has been streamlined that balances the playing field quite well. The essence of the original classes of TFC definitely are still in TF2 but have been simplified for better accessibility. Each class has about 3 ways of attacking. Your "Main" offense is your main weapon. For the engineer it is the Sentry gun, for the Demoman it is the grenade launcher, for the Sniper it's the sniper rifle and its pretty much self explanatory after this point. For your second ways of offense, it usually consists of your "Sidearm". In this case its shotguns. Everyone has a shotgun (Well..not everyone...just seems like it. The Demoman and the Sniper have different secondary offensives.). Lastly your 3rd way of attacking is your melee weapon. What I thought was cool in this aspect was definitally the engineer. You use your wrench to upgrade AND bash the skulls of your enemies in. Pure genius at work :P.

Now lets look at the graphics of this game. The game is based off the artwork of J. C. Leyendecker, that pulls of a comic book/ "1950s espionage" feel. Although it is comic-booky, it does NOT take away from the detail. EVERYTHING has been thought of during the development and you can see it in the game. Each class has been looked at carefully to fully portray each cliché you can think of. In fact, there are so many clichés in this game that it ADDS to the game play instead of making it..."dorky".

(Medic healing a Demo-Man.)

The music from this game fits. It fits the style perfect. It makes it seem like your playing in a cheesy 1950's "Evil genius vs evil genius" war. It's upbeat and kind of jazzy. I find it hard to explain just how good it is. So just get the game. Seriously. It's worth every dollar.

Only 1 real thing made me dissapointed. That did not include hand grenades. At all. Explosives are still there from the rockets and demoman grenades, but I still want to be able to lob a couple in a pile of guys. I guess Valve thought it wasn't balancing correctly or something. I trust that it was for a good reason they did not include them.

You need to buy this game. Nuff said.

Presentation:9.0
Overall, the game is very well presented, with crisp yet un-complex designs of the UI to the character selection menu. It is a very user friendly game. I can see casual and hardcore gamers alike picking up this game and enjoying it severely. However there's small issues with custom maps and servers. If you aren't hosted by a GOOD provider, expect some server crashes and other minor annoyances. (For instance, I get kicked for a "Screenshot overflow")

Sound:9.0
Superb sound. The voices for each of the classes fits them perfectly. The music score fits the play of the game perfectly. When you hear the music and the taunts you actually smile and get more into the game. Sound is a crucial part of a game and they hit it perfect.

Graphics:9.5
Silly comic book styled cel-shaded graphics pull out a fun and detailed game to look at. Every class is "Cliché" in every form and it's hilarious. You get drawn to play the game even when your losing. Silly tight graphics is a perfect summary of what this game looks like.

Multiplayability(Gameplay):9.5
The multiplayer is fun. Very fun. You don't have to "Get to know" the game long and you just jump right into the fray. Minor tactics makes the player take more of his surroundings in instead of having to figure out which squad/person is flanking what, and making sure he's the right class to flank. It's a no brainer sort of game and the classes just make it easier. For example, the "Heavy" is well. the tank. Holding a inaccurate minigun and having the most lives, he is usually put in the front or to hold the point for defense.

Overall:9.3
The game is worth getting. It's fun, Entertaining, and there's always something new you find out each and every time you play the game. The community is nicer comparatively speaking from Counter-Strike communities, and they're much more fun because of that. Team Fortress 2 is pleasing to the eyes with rich artistic graphics and wonderful to listen with its snappy lines, explosions, and the Heavy's laughter as he sprays a group of guys.

Here's a video to really show what I am talking about.
k67xIQ_ZtvM

Quakken
12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Yes. This game is very very great. If I hadn't found Empiresmod
( http://www.empiresmod.com/ )
Then I would be playing it RIGHT NOW. And yeah, although it may be nice to have grenades, it would be too hard to correctly balance them and they are too much of a non-skill item.
Valve wasn't happy with this game 4-5 years back (and many more times in between then and now) so they started fresh, and they did it RIGHT.

Get the orange box if you like this kind of stuff at all.

xRyokenx
12-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Oh god. I need that game. Now. Buy it for me. lol

I should ask for that for Christmas too... that looks extremely fun and easy on the eyes.

Ichbin
12-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Could you guys PM me or reply to what you would like to see more in my reviews? It would help out a lot.

Killa_Ape
12-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Good review! TF 2 is a great game! The video was a nice touch but I think it'd be more appropriate if it was put where you were talking about the graphics.

They didn't put grenades in due to people would just mass spam them, this was the case back in the old TF and in TFC and really it just ruins the game when it's 10 on 10 and people just spam grenades (play BF2 infantry only and you'll see how bad it can be).

NightrainSrt4
12-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I love this game. Probably my favorite multiplayer game. Grenades, although would add to the fun for a couple days, would get really annoying. I love how each class is completely unique.

Lately I just tried medic as I had been ignoring it since launch. I rock at medic. Seriously is my favorite class now. Alas, I have found my place in TF2.

Ive been ranked #1/#2 every single match for the past 4 days playing only medic.

And melee only rounds you can't beat a medic with a quick strafe one on one. Quick strafe cross slash with the bonesaw FTW!

God I love this game!

Scotty
12-15-2007, 08:27 PM
People keep telling me to buy the Orange Box. I probably should i just havent had anything really persuade me, yet more and more reviews make it looks better and better ...

*brain implodes*

Nice review :D +rep

rendermandan
12-16-2007, 02:04 AM
I picked it up the day after Thanksgiving sale for $24.99 at best buy. I'm staring at it right now sitting on my computer desk (unopened). not sure why I haven't installed/played it yet. Just been too busy with work I guess. -And painting my case. :)

NightrainSrt4
12-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I was watching Cube:Zero on Fearnet on demand last night and they aired the funniest TeamFortress2 commercials. I was laughing my ass off.

The heavy commercial is pretty funny if you've played the game. I'll see if I can find something on you tube for it.

Heavy Weapons Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY5qJHZCz2I)

Engineer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68cEsALWt0&feature=related)

I thought it was funny because well 1) I was pissed to see a commercial in the middle of a good part and was surprised to see a commercial like this 2) I had just played the game before watching the movie

Ichbin
12-18-2007, 04:46 PM
My favourite is the soldier interview

"And he herded two of every animal on to a boat, where he beat the crap outta them!"