PDA

View Full Version : Stripping DRM?

Omega
12-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Normally DRM wouldn't be an issue for me (mainly because most of my music doesn't have it, but also because I've legally acquired it), however my mp3 player (The Creative Zen Vision:M) will not play files with a digital lisence. So I'm asking anybody who knows:

How would I strip DRM from .wma files?
How would I strip DRM from iTunes files?
How would I strip DRM in general?

I say it's my music, I paid for it (or it was given to me as a gift), so I should be able to use it on my mp3 player if I want to.

Thanks and +rep to whoever helps me out.

-Omega

OvRiDe
12-07-2007, 03:40 AM
http://www.wma-mp3.com/
I have used this product to help a friend out that was in the EXACT same predicament. He switched from a WMA based product to an iPod. He had bought a bunch of wma music, but it wouldn't play on the iPod. I didn't really think it was fair that he should have to buy them again, so we tried the Protected Music Converter and it worked like a charm. Definitely well worth the 20 bucks it cost, since he had at least 100 files to convert. So that would have you covered for the .wma files, not so sure about the other formats.

Good luck

Drum Thumper
12-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Have you tried burning the files to an audio CD and then re-ripping? In theory, this works, and in reality, I've only seen 1 instance where it didn't work.

Spawn-Inc
12-07-2007, 10:33 AM
you have to pay for this software but i used to use muvaudio (http://www.muvaudio.com/), i think it was like 20. i was going to send a fake echeck a long time ago but then i put in money by mistake. but i'm glad i did, there would have been a 30 bank charge!

you can try the trail but it will lightly record some bitch saying "trail" over your song. so you can try it to see if it works and then buy it if you want. when you do remove the drm then make sure you have only that program running, unless you have a good pc. it seems to mess up the song and make it sound like it skips. but i had a much older version 1.1 or something, its at 2.xx.

Omega
12-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Have you tried burning the files to an audio CD and then re-ripping? In theory, this works, and in reality, I've only seen 1 instance where it didn't work.

There's a huge quality loss this way, and I've not got anything above 320kbps to start.

Thanks for the help guys.

d_stilgar
12-09-2007, 04:42 AM
I have had success with Jhymn for stripping drm from my itunes songs. You can check it out here:

http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/

Omega
12-09-2007, 04:54 AM
That JHymn actually looks pretty nifty. I'll check that out. Right now, that is.

TheGreatSatan
12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I burn mine to CD from itunes. Then save it as MP3 from the CD to Realplayer. License gone!

Drum Thumper
12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Personally, I gave up on the mp3 format around the same time I discovered the FLAC format.

So now, it goes EAC -> FLAC -> MediaMonkey.

And yes, it takes up more disk space, but imho, it's worth it, as it's lossless.

Luke122
12-10-2007, 06:42 PM
< killjoy> Remember kids, stripping DRM's is a touchy subject. </killjoy >

Lossless audio is the bizzomb.

Omega
12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm not THAT big of an audiophile (I prefer studying the physics of sound, wave propagation, frequencies, harmonics & resonation, etc), so 320kbps mp3 is fine for me. That and I don't have the disc space for a TON of lossless audio.

Drum Thumper
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
< killjoy> Remember kids, stripping DRM's is a touchy subject. </killjoy >

Lossless audio is the bizzomb.

Omega stated he bought the .mp3 legally. So therefore, in this context, there's no 'touchy'-ness about it. Fair use and all that legal jazz.

si-skyline
02-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Omega stated he bought the .mp3 legally. So therefore, in this context, there's no 'touchy'-ness about it. Fair use and all that legal jazz.

the removale of DRM or the modification of it is illegal.. but hay i dont care :) cds rule xD