PDA

View Full Version : Streaming conntent to xbox 360

luciusad2004
12-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey guys. I wasn't sure were to put this so i put it with the video game stuff since it's xbox related. Ive been trying to get windows media player 11 to stream to my xbox but it seems like my firewall is getting in the way. I opened up the ports that are supposed to be open but it still wouldn't work. I tried turning off my firewall and like magic, my 360 could see my computer as a source for streaming media.

Has anyone here who uses a third party firewall been able to stream content to their xbox 360 without turning it off?

Thanks
Lucius

.Maleficus.
12-08-2007, 09:32 PM
What firewall?

luciusad2004
12-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Comodo firewall pro. It's a free firewall that was recommended on a another forum i occasionally visit.

Greco101
12-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Are your files in your "picture, music, video" folders?

.Maleficus.
12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Comodo firewall pro. It's a free firewall that was recommended on a another forum i occasionally visit.
Hm, I've never heard of it, so I can only ask questions about it.

Is there a place that will allow to add like, trusted connections? If there is, find out the IP of your Xbox, add that as a trusted connection, and you should be set.

luciusad2004
12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Hm, I've never heard of it, so I can only ask questions about it.

Is there a place that will allow to add like, trusted connections? If there is, find out the IP of your Xbox, add that as a trusted connection, and you should be set.
Ok ill look and see if i can find that, only question i have is:

If I'm using DHCP on my network won't the IP of my xbox frequently change?

luciusad2004
12-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Are your files in your "picture, music, video" folders?
No but i have windows media player pointing to the location of my files.

Edit: I have it set up like this because I'm keeping all of my data on a separate partition. I got tired of ripping all of my music and reloading all of my files whenever i format.

.Maleficus.
12-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Not if you tell it not to. I'm not sure if Microsoft ever put something like that in Xbox's UI, but there's got to be a way to keep it static. I'll look on Google quick.

luciusad2004
12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I know how to change the IP address i just don't know anything about setting this stuff up on my own.

The three things i have right in front of me:

Ip Address
Subnet Mask
Gateway

I just don't know what to set these things to.

I can also see what all of this is currently set to. Should i try setting my current IP address as allowed in my firewall before i go messing around with static IPs or will it definitely change next time i turn on my console?

.Maleficus.
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
IP address: Something like 192.168.1.3. That's what my server's is. It can be a lot of things, just choose something like that.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

That will work.

luciusad2004
12-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Actually, I got it working, there was some things about how my firewall's rules worked that i didn't quite understand. I thought that the list of rules were rules that were followed simultaneously but apparently not. The firewall must go through them sequentially. I can't really explain it.

The rules that were first on the list had priority over the rules that were later on the list of rules. When i added the new rules allowing my xbox to talk to my computer they were automatically added at the end of the list, after a rule which basically said block everything. So what i figure was happening was, when my xbox would send a message to my computer to look for files, my firewall would go through the list of rules and get down to the rule that said "block everything" and would block the connection before getting to the rules that allowed the connection from my xbox. I fixed it by moving the rule which said my xbox was allowed up above the "block all" rule.

I hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the help.

Edit: As an after thought. Would switching to a more known firewall such as zone alarm be helpful in case i ever need help with it. My logic is that if more people know it and have experience with it they could more easily assist me.

.Maleficus.
12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
It's up to you. I was looking at your firewall and was actually thinking of trying it. It looked pretty cool.

And besides, with more problems comes more solutions, and eventually, you won't even need to ask questions anymore, because you'll have already had all the problems. That's how I got good with Linux :D. Trial and error FTW!

luciusad2004
12-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Alright then, ill just stick with what i have.

Thanks.