PDA

View Full Version : hello advice about dremel im new

P_E_T_E_R
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
im going to buy a dremel and was wondering providing my parents say yes weather i should really be using it im 13
i know witch dremel to buy etc
so gimme some advice really
iv read plenty of books and stuff so i know wot im doing really and iv got old cases to praptice on

Malatory
08-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Eye protection and general safety procedures are things I would want my kids to follow. There are add-ons that can remove a fingure or make it so you will have a trip to the emergancy room if your not carefull. Plus I would have the rule that you would only use it with an adult around ... but that is becuse I like my Kids (even though the oldest is a pain in the butt - She is 13 )

JesDer
09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
hard to say ...

It really is up to your parents. Yes you can do some serious damage to yourself with a dremel, but you can hurt yourself with MANY things. Most 13 yearolds should be fine after they learn simple safty rules.

Eye protection is a must for ANYONE using a dremel. I also think you should use some type of dust mask as well (I never grind metal without one). This coming from a guy who sanded drywall for years most of the time without dust masks :)

In order to lessen the chance of hurting yourself, always make sure to keep your bodyparts out of the path of a shattering cutoff wheel.

Mobius01010
09-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Wear safety goggles for sure, but if you feel uncomfortable with your parents hovering over you, just ask them if your older friend (Insert older friend's name here) can help you out with supervision. I don't know about you, but at 13, I was making all kinds of things in shop class. If you have a wood shop at your school, find the teacher and ask him about it. That will show your parents you're being responsible, and the teacher can give you better advice than us with hands on stuff (how to hold the dremel, how to decide on good safety eyewear, etc) Good luck.