PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installation

Indybird
12-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey TBCS, I got a question:

If I have a Windows XP Home (Full) CD-Key can I install XP with a Windows XP Home "Upgrade" CD?

-Indybird

D1337
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Looks like a yes.
http://forum.onmac.net/archive/index.php/t-150.html

NightrainSrt4
12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
I would think the key would work, but you would still have to have a copy of windows 2000/98se or whatever to install from the Upgrade CD. The key is one of the last things you do, so I would think you would still have to have an existing copy of windows on the hard drive. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

BigJohnson
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I would have to agree. You may get the upgrade to work with a full version cd key but you would definitely need something installed to upgrade from. Like Nightrain said, me/2000/98, needs to be there. It doesn't necessarily need to be working, but it needs to be there.

Indybird
12-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies but heres what happened (I already did the installation). I ran the setup right off of the disk, and it did not treat it as an upgrade. I entered the CD Key on the sticker on the case, but it would not accept it (They are both CD Keys for XP Home). So I ended up using the CD-Key with the disk (the computer the disk is from is dead).

Once again,
Thanks for the replies.

-Indybird