PDA

View Full Version : Re-wirin' and stuff Qs

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 04:59 AM
i have a mod in mind and i need help. i have no way of buying any of the stuff you guys use, but some very basic non-related stuff is available here.

so, questions:

1. what goes through the rpm yellow signal wire and how can i use that? other than pluggin it in a nonexixting lcd display...:((

2. how can i get my aluminum to be shiny, non-shortcircuit-causer without clear coat???

3. what's bondo (i've seen it...)? chemically... i have to tell the salesman something other than the name of the american product :)

4. any suggestions on a wire box?

5. one molex... is it safe to power everything from one molex? 11fans plus lights? (crappy generic 400w psu, 4 molex, all ocuppied, need some tiding up)

6. i wanna change every lil wire that is not computer related. will the change to thicker/copper/flexible/black wire do any harm? ( :)) )

7. is there an airflow optimizer available somewhere on the net? like a simulation program? or sthg...

10ks for reading. pls help out

Malatory
08-30-2005, 09:53 AM
i have a mod in mind and i need help. i have no way of buying any of the stuff you guys use, but some very basic non-related stuff is available here.

so, questions:

1. what goes through the rpm yellow signal wire and how can i use that? other than pluggin it in a nonexixting lcd display...:((

2. how can i get my aluminum to be shiny, non-shortcircuit-causer without clear coat???

3. what's bondo (i've seen it...)? chemically... i have to tell the salesman something other than the name of the american product :)

Auto body filler search there catalog for putty - filler
http://www.bondo-online.com/Default.asp

4. any suggestions on a wire box?

More information please. Or are you looking to make a central power plug box like Crimson Sky did with the Doom 3 Mod?

5. one molex... is it safe to power everything from one molex? 11fans plus lights? (crappy generic 400w psu, 4 molex, all ocuppied, need some tiding up)

Yes and no.. it really comes done to what can the PSU handle. each rail is able to handle only so much power. If you adding 11 fans that is over 2 AMPS of power (taking that each only us .2amps) I know some will take more than that easy.

6. i wanna change every lil wire that is not computer related. will the change to thicker/copper/flexible/black wire do any harm? ( :)) )

Only harm will come when you try to trace the wire. It would be wiser to use some type of wire wrap.

7. is there an airflow optimizer available somewhere on the net? like a simulation program? or sthg...

If your looking for dead air spots in your system, get some 4" ribbon and hang it if different places in the computer to see if air is moviing or not when the fans are on.

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
10ks... long story coming after this...but i get internal server error..hmmm

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
dang... i see... 1st: thanks...

more info... well, i have some parts, no clear idea, but it must be a box with one input, visible, molex type, and 6 controlled fan outputs, 4 6 groups/individual fans, maybe with speacial plugs...

i now know what wire i'll use... i need about 50m of clear low-res high-Q....drumms... speaker wire! man, it does wonders for the bass, so, because AC is 50/60Hz, could be something... and i dont really need to hide them as they will be like a .. feature :)

the fans... well, i'm running 10 right now and they are all full throttle capable. no errors... ah, the psu is modded a bit too... put a better fan in it, higher flow lower noise type... no adjustments to the electric parts, although i'm planning a network filter..

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 12:40 PM
back to the wires... they should be removable/modular, and be like the new p4 mb cooler cable: 4 wires:+.-, rpm and control... althoug it wont be "PWM" or stuff...it would work great... maybe even thermal control it with some mosfets... neah... i'm too new...

well...about that air test ..i did it with ...a lighter... and smoke... air is moving, but i haven't actually seen any improvements recently...even after adding the bulk of coolers... the thing is:

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
i have an athlon thunderbird at 1 gig (volcano 12 on top), 512 ram, 5200/128mb(red/orange copper led somethingy cooler, vantec iceberg style...), 60gig hdd with dual 50mm cooler, 80mm led intake silent fan, 120mm side (titan medium flow aluminum) and front intakes (spire? high flow, black plain fan, but with white handpainted blades), and a double 80mm over the pci (same ghosty like blades). also, the cpu cooler is inverted to get air out of the case (ducting mod coming) and...

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
but this array shoul be better! and the case temp is 28!!! too much... i know it's summer... but others with less cooling have better temps.. ah, i made the atas round and hid them... i duct-taped all the psu wires so they are "sthealty"...

well..rant over..it's good to find a place where u can be yourself :)

thanks again malatory

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
man..there is something very worng about ..something... i cant post replys... i have to cut em up in pieces... what..?

dgrmkrp
08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
here are some nice pics... and a history :)

... pics don't work, go to www.modder.home.ro (http://www.modder.home.ro/) :)

dgrmkrp
08-31-2005, 07:02 AM
ok... i know what to do now... the control panel will be on the drive bays, on the left size(normal atx case), covering the stupid hole pattern, will be removable, will be aluminum, which i expect to arrive today, will have a nice flame frosted acrylic with blue and red 3mm leds on the hdd line, have the connections made from rca or jacks, with 7 switches for 7 fan channels, a switch for 7v or 12v operation and leds for state display(7/12v). hmm.... what else... well, i have been using 20ohms resistors hooked in parallel to 10k pots, but some fans (the 120mm high flow and 60mm old cooler fan) are not completely sileneced... basicaly, not even the video cooler is... so i hate cutting corners.. if anybody will be kind enough to point me to a site where i can calc the resisteence needed to go from 7v to 12v, with different currents, ranging from 0,2 to 0,35A... 20 ohms is not good enough now...

so...any help is appreciated :)

dgrmkrp
08-31-2005, 12:17 PM
i should probably start a worklog... don't know if necesarry yet... pls tell me if this qualifies as more than a rookie's nest...

i got the aluminum i need plus more... way more: 290mm x 180mm x 2.5mm, 290mm x 174mm x 2.5mm and my side panel would-be. i'm basicaly working now on the parts list(10$ at most right now... i tweaked the electro-schematic several times and i think it's optimally short and simple now...). BUT! amd it's a big "but" :P i also have a huge heatsink! have no idea what it comes from, no mosfet holes, no mounting holes... hech, it just has about 2pounds, its 210mm*140mm*70mm.... and has a huge hole in the midle.... it looks like a treewith 2 branches, its not the flat based sink like on procs... so .. any idea what it could do? after cleaning, it could look awesome...