PDA

View Full Version : New 1st time Rig: No peripherals

ShadowSniper
12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
I just got the last of the parts for my brand new gaming rig and spent a few hours hooking everything up. The only problem is, not one of the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor) are getting any signal even though everything in the case seems to be working fine. (Fans work, display on the motherboard shows "CPU INIT", cd trays come out and go back fine)

Seeing as how this is my first time putting together a computer I really have no idea what is wrong. A little assistance?

Specs:
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA Hard Drive

1 x Thermaltake ToughPower 1200-Watt ATX Power Supply

1 x EVGA GeForce 8500 GT 256MB DDR2 Video Card

1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor - 2.40GHz

1 x ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Motherboard

1 x ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

2 x LITE-ON Black SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

4 x OCZ 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory

SgtM
12-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Make sure the video card is seated properly and has power to it (if requried). I'm notorious for this.. Make sure the power plug on the monitor is seated. Lastly, make sure you're using a ps2 keyboard and mouse. Some motherboards don't like to use USB devices out of the box.

NightrainSrt4
12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I second trying a ps2 mouse and keyboard out of the box. Had this issue with a couple pc's.

But damn...1200watt psu for that rig? You def don't have to worry about upgrading parts and if your psu will take it.

ShadowSniper
12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I just double checked all connections, all looks good. I'm assuming the video card has power due to the cooling fan on it working, monitor still isn't working. But, good news is that the ps2 keyboard and mouse I plugged in are working.

Edit: Yeah, 1200watts is much for it now but I plan on getting a good SLI setup sometime next year and I wanted to be ready.

Luke122
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Does that motherboard have onboard video? Try using it if it does.

If not, make sure your video card is in the right PCI-Ex slot. :)

ShadowSniper
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
It doesn't have onboard video and I'm pretty sure that the card in the the right PCI-E slot. (The one labeled "PCIE16_1")

As for today, I tried a different monitor and the other PCI-E slots. Neither worked. Later on today I'll try a different video card and see if that works.

.Maleficus.
12-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Did you plug in the ATX12V cable? I forgot that step once, and I got no signal from my monitor. It can be an easy thing to overlook. From the looks of your mobo, it is to the left of the heatpipe at the very top. If you don't have anything plugged in there, don't turn the computer on until you do.

Scotty
12-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Take 2GB of memory out and try again, some times there are issues with that. Once you have Windows installed get the latest BIOS and update Windows, then shutdown put the other 2GB in and it should work.

Computer-Geek
12-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe check if onboard video is off

ShadowSniper
12-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Did you plug in the ATX12V cable? I forgot that step once, and I got no signal from my monitor. It can be an easy thing to overlook. From the looks of your mobo, it is to the left of the heatpipe at the very top. If you don't have anything plugged in there, don't turn the computer on until you do.

Wow, that was it. I cant believe I overlooked it as many times as I did when checking connections. After plugging that in, everything shows up fine. Got windows installed now and am messing with the preferences. Thanks for the help!
(+ rep)

Scotty
12-15-2007, 09:06 PM
LOL, easily done, not that i have ever done it, but i have forgot to plug my CD drive cable in before, doesn't help when trying to install windows.

.Maleficus.
12-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow, that was it. I cant believe I overlooked it as many times as I did when checking connections. After plugging that in, everything shows up fine. Got windows installed now and am messing with the preferences. Thanks for the help!
(+ rep)
When I did it, I even made a mental note to myself about it because my Blue Orb covered the connector.

Turns out I can't remember things for over 20 minutes.

Glad you got it sorted out though :).

armadilloben
12-16-2007, 12:41 AM
are u using 64bit because if you arent youl have 5 and a half unadressable gigs :eek:

also whats up with the 8500gt your going to get very little playablility on most games even with the q6600 and the 8 gigs of ram

Omega
12-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Wait...

8500gt...

8gb of RAM...

Something seems a bit off...

I would have halved (or even quartered (but not in the old sense of the word =p)) the RAM and got an 8800GTX (or two? I don't know how much that RAM was.) On a 32bit OS you'll only utilize 2.75gb of RAM tops, my dad found that out the hard way by paying for 4gb of top-of-the-line Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM for his rig and it only using 2.75gb =p