PDA

View Full Version : Some Feedback on this plz

Scotty
12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey here is another digital painting by moi.

ATM the psd of this thing is a bitching 1.2GB and My PC takes 3 mins to load it up :P Mayve A4 and well over 150 layers isn't good especially at 300DPI.

So every time i open it and sit there looking at it is a waste of time as i can't think what else it needs, so it falls on you guys.

I just feel that the composition is a bit weak, and something is missing, i don't want to add anything detailed to distract the eye from DD so something easy would be better (and easier ;))

Any other input you like is always useful.

It may be odd that he's just backfliping over fire so if you can think of something that i could attempt to put in there that would be useful too.

One think i have learnt it clouds take the piss to paint and fire is a bitch too.

And another thing you can save jpgs as CMYK instead of RGB, but CMYK images don't appear if uploaded to imageshack or photobucket, theres something you probably never knew, or maybe never needed too.

So heres the image.

A nice 250kb jpg, not a 35MB TIFF or a 1.2GB PSD for you xD

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k128/ArtByScott/ddevilcopy.jpg

SgtM
12-15-2007, 08:44 PM
That looks awesome man! How are you doing that? Can't just be with a mouse and keyboard. I can't quite place what it is, but something with the face seems off.

+rep

xRyokenx
12-15-2007, 08:46 PM
The sky looks fine to me, but improve the fire some, and then make DD as detailed as you can, but don't make it too unbalanced. If he's supposed to be the center of attention, make him catch the eye a bit better than he does. Looks good to start with though.

calumc
12-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Maybe he could be dodging some kind of object flying above him? Dammit Ive seen the matrix too many times.....

Scotty
12-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Cheers for the Rep. Yea its done with my tablet :) I think the nose is a bit off, but thas been from the start, and maybe the shading could do with some work.

Yea there will be more highlights etc put onto DD to bring him out.

You know how ****ing hard fire is to paint/create/blend/smudge/dodge/blur/burn? HARD!

I think it could wo with some work, but that is a major improvement on my last attempt.

edit: Calum, you read my mind i was thinking of some flying disk blades, ive seen Spider man too many times ;)

Greco101
12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Definitely on your way to possibly making a future out of this.

I can already see your work being on trading cards, posters, movie covers, Album art, clothing, etc... Pretty sweet man. ++rep

EDIT: I just read that you wanted a little constructive criticism, so after 5-10 minutes of staring... I've come up with this:

*The calf seems to have unnecessary or unrealistic folding. Perhaps it is the wrinkling in his suit but either way, I don't think parallel folds fit it. Perhaps angle the top one more?

*Maybe a little more shading on the cheek. If you stare at it hard and long enough, it becomes somewhat hard to determine the depth and starts to seem like his nose is coming out of his cheek.

*I believe his suit is reflecting the flames? Is that what is on his back? If so, the reflection/glow seems to have depth to it so it looks raised as if there were something on his back.

*Possibly a little more shading on his neck/chin. His chin looks as though it continues to his adams apple.

Someone mentioned the flames and sky need work but they DEFINITELY jive with the character in my opinion. When I look at this, I see a special edition pastel.

Scotty
12-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback man, just what i was looking for, ill see if i can fix some of those now you have mentioned them

+rep for being on the ball.

jdbnsn
12-16-2007, 05:08 PM
I think the quality of the illustration is phenomenal for a budding artist, great execution. As for critique's,:
-I would tone the yellows way down in the flames and work with a range of mostly oranges with sparse yellow and black accents for depth.
-As mentioned above, the body proportions are a little unusual for a hero. Like Greco mentioned, his shins seem to curve back. And for the amount of muscle tone you have on his arms, the rest of his body has an average build. His waist is as wide as his chest and his quads seem to be just a little smaller. I would suck in the gut, pump up the chest and quads, maybe decrease the size of his deltoids or beef up his forearms to match.

All in all it's a great work! Keep it up!

Scotty
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Cheers for that Jon, hadn't thought about the chest now you mention it i see what you're getting at.
Yea for some reason the flames just kept getting brighter XD. Maybe i should undo next time, ah well looks like ill need to grab the burn tool :)

+rep for the feedback

BigJohnson
12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey Scotty. The lips, right between the nose and chin. Its all a straight line. The lips should have some contour to them. Lips somewhat extend past the chin but not as far as the nose. I hope that helps. But really awesome work man. +rep

Edit: Also, in a backflip wouldn't the arms usually be towards the upper half of his body not the lower half? Not that I would know, I have never/could never do a backflip if I tried. Im not trying to pick apart your work either. Even with a tablet I couldnt do nearly as well as you do. What tablet do you have? Have you ever thought about writing a review for it?

Scotty
12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback and rep, +rep for helping me.

It depends how you do a back flip, from the many stock images i took a look at there are a few with the arms in that position, although they are earlier points in the jump, if its like a front flip, once you know you can usually do anything with your arms if its balanced.

I have a Wacom Intuos3 A5 Wide, its brill, i could do a review, maybe if i get some time.

Elenril
12-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Man, that is awesome :) I really really like it, but since you wanted constructive critique, here it is. Sorry if it sounds harsh, I seriously think this is great.

1. The flames. As people have mentioned before, it's not quite right. I'm sure you've used some stock photos of flames for reference, and you'll notice that there is a lot less yellow in them, and the flames are less.. solid (if that's the right word). They need to be way more transparent and flickery, if you get what I mean.

2. The lighting could be worked on a bit as well, especially on his back over the fire. It's a good start, but it could be a lot stronger. Lighting is especially important for achieving dramatic effect, and bold highlights could really help with that. Same with saturation, it looks alright for now, but a friendly tip; when you've finished the painting, muck around with the levels and the colour balance - it can do wonders.

3. Tone. If you want to make DD stand out more for dramatic effect, adjust the tones. If you convert the image to greyscale, you'll see that it's very dull, and nothing really stands out. What I always find useful is to first paint the picture in greyscale, until I achieve the effect I want without colours, and to ensure the lighting is right, and then add the colours. Sorry, I'm not too good at explaining, but if you give it a go you'll see what I mean.

4. Anatomy. I won't go into this because you already seem well aware of what needs improving.

Sorry if that was too long and involved. This is a great painting, way better than anything I could do. Looking forward to seeing more of this stuff from you :)

EDIT: I just looked at it a bit more and thought of something else. Why don't you try placing him in a setting, maybe paint a few faint buildings in the background? As it is, I'm finding it very hard to picture a story or scenario, and one of the things that makes or breaks a painting is if it can tell a story in that one image.

Scotty
12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Great Crit, doesn't sound harsh, i love getting crit if you can't take it you can't improve or thats how i see it.

1. I agree that they aren't as solid ive been working on that, they are alot less yellow now too.

2. Im always playing around with contrast, level, curves, hue/saturation, colour balance, the lot ^_^

3. I've seen a few people do it in greyscale like you mentioned i might try that next time round, i get what your saying i think, its figuring out how the light from the flames would really look, think i need to burn something tbh.

4.Working on it now, DD has been taken away to the land of his own document :P

5. I was going to do buildings, but i don't have the time to really change it now, unless we get an extension over xmas, but even then thats only 2 weeks and its xmas!

Cheers agian, and +rep for the awesome help :)

jdbnsn
12-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I found a great example of flames in the orange range...

BTW- How did you draw this? Using tablet? What software? just curious...

http://www.cs4fn.org/softwareengineering/images/flames-sml.jpg

Scotty
12-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Wacom Intuos3, Photoshop CS3 Extended.

Alot of time and knowhow of tools :)

noopypoop
12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Maybe you should get one of these

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/rts_desktop/rts_desktop/1/storefronts/GN583AA%2523ABA?jumpid=re_r602_de_artgen_rnav_psg_ oct07_browseandbuytouchsmart_447010

Elenril
12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Maybe you should get one of these

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/rts_desktop/rts_desktop/1/storefronts/GN583AA%2523ABA?jumpid=re_r602_de_artgen_rnav_psg_ oct07_browseandbuytouchsmart_447010

That is actually VERY different from a tablet. It's just a touch screen, it can't detect pressure sensitivity and it's not as precise either. Plus, they're crap. Way overpriced, and there's nothing particularly special about them apart from the dodgy touch screen, of which the novelty wears off after a few minutes.

noopypoop
12-19-2007, 06:38 PM
That is actually VERY different from a tablet. It's just a touch screen, it can't detect pressure sensitivity and it's not as precise either. Plus, they're crap. Way overpriced, and there's nothing particularly special about them apart from the dodgy touch screen, of which the novelty wears off after a few minutes.

Oh. I thought that this qas designed for graphic design.

Scotty
12-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Yea a Wacom Cintiq is what i want.

So the compressed PSD = 1.33GB. I have 2GB Ram, Photoshop can use 1.7GB of that. I have 2GB Readyboost and 3 hard drives, it goes slow as hell!

Then i realise that uncompressed the file is now...

3.15GB!

No wonder its going slow, i dont have enough memory for a 3.15GB file!

Who's up for buying me Vista 64 and some new RAM?

calumc
12-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Who's up for buying me Vista 64 and some new RAM?
:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

Reyer
12-24-2007, 01:35 AM
I would say just highlight every wrinkle and curve, and put in some more shading.

It is pretty much amazing, and i think its fine the way it is.
Nice job:)