PDA

View Full Version : Case noise when iTunes is open.

dcleas
12-15-2007, 07:38 PM
I am a newbie to Fix IT Shop but here it goes.

I built my machine from the ground up. I just recently in the past few versions of iTunes have come across this problem. I up iTunes, with or without music imported and I get this high pitch sound from my case. I at first thought it was my hard drive but was proven wrong when I replaced it replaced. Is there a utility I can us to figure out whats going on with it or am I just going to have to put my ear in my case and figure out what piece of hardware is not working right. Please let me know guys. Thanks.

Scotty
12-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Welcome to TBCS :D

Sounds like a very strange problem, my iTunes is fine.

Usually a very high pitched sound/whining is caused by heavy load on components i.e. CPU and Graphics. Open up the task manager and see if CPU usage goes up. If not download ATi Tool and OCCT and run the test in OCCT and show the 3D preview in Ati Tool, if you hear the same noise whilst running either test then thats probably what it is.

OCCT also tests RAM, that might also make a noise. Although it could be the NB or even SB

What are the system specs?

It just seems like a really odd problem.

dcleas
12-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Well I seem to be prone to odd problems when it comes to computers. I just normally know how to fix them.

When I opened the iTunes the CPU usage shot way up for about 5 seconds, and just as quickly died to 0%.

I didn't hear the same sound with either program or them together. But the CPU was making the sound. I know that for sure. This time it wasn't as high pitched.

I'm not running anything special. I have been meaning to upgrade, just haven't had the money.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
Elite Group Board - nForce3-A :down:
1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron :down:
160 GB Seagate SATA
1.5 Gigs RAM
RADEON 9550

Scotty
12-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Hmm, extremely strange.

TBH i have no idea what so ever. Is it just iTunes? If so that makes it even stranger, how 1 program could effect the sound from a PC =\

Do you have a speaker on your motherboard? That could be doing it, maybe iTunes is doing something with it.

It could be the sign of something failing but i really doubt that.

Im just stumped.

dcleas
12-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, thats a burn.

Tethandros
12-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Some sort of vibration with the CPU cooler?? Maybe it's unseated slightly and the cooler is vibrating against the holding bracket..

The boy 4rm oz
12-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I get the same noise when I load STALKER and I am in the menu. I found it to be my 8800GTX. The GTX has a buzzer on it (same model that's on my DFI mobo).
Look at this pic:
http://www.bcchardware.com/gallery/albums/8800Showdown/GTX_Full.sized.jpg
See on the bottom right corner of the board, in between the Nvidia logo and the fan connector? That black cylinder with the hole in the top is a buzzer. I don't know what graphics card you are using but this may be the answer to your problem.

Ap1thy
12-15-2007, 10:17 PM
to even throw another facotr in, on an older 754 msi motherboard i oce owned, it had a speaker that made noise whenever the hard drive was being used

The boy 4rm oz
12-15-2007, 10:57 PM
You are exactly right, that could be another factor. If you have a system buzzer attached to your motherboard remove it and load iTunes again. If the sound continues it is most likely a piece of hardware.

Spawn-Inc
12-15-2007, 10:58 PM
have you volt modded your video card? when mine was up there when i would use ati tool to scan for artifacts my video card would make a noise, sounded like a cap about to explode so i dropped the voltages.

dcleas
12-16-2007, 02:42 AM
OK guys I fixed the problem. It's called getting new hardware. Thanks for the help guys. Stay local.

Spawn-Inc
12-16-2007, 02:50 AM
what did you replace? cpu?