PDA

View Full Version : I want to be able to access the capture card of another computer

DaJe
12-15-2007, 10:47 PM
So I have a capture card/tv tuner/fm tuner, but it gives display adapter issues on my computer. So instead, I put it in another computer two floors below mine. I have them networked, and I can access that computer's files from this one. What I want to be able to do is basically use it like a media server, and store all of my music and videos on there. I want to be able to access the computer with the card and use it to watch and record TV, as well as all of the other features of is. Perferably, I'd like to be able to access that stuff through Media Center, but it's not needed. Anyone have any ideas?

.Maleficus.
12-15-2007, 11:13 PM
VNC. It's probably the easiest way. I'd recommend UltraVNC.

DaJe
12-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I'll give it a try. Care to elaborate on what it's like?

xRyokenx
12-15-2007, 11:22 PM
It's basically a remote desktop program with a few other features.

.Maleficus.
12-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Think remote KVM. VNC allows you to use a networked computer on your display/mouse/keyboard like it was sitting right next to you. I sometimes use it with my Xubuntu server. Fire up a VNC session, and boom! I have my server display on my computer, and I control it just like any other computer.

DaJe
12-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with the built-in remote desktop thing in Windows? I have 64 bit Vista Ultimate by the way. And the other computer is running XP home.

SgtM
12-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Anyone have any experience with the built-in remote desktop thing in Windows? I have 64 bit Vista Ultimate by the way. And the other computer is running XP home.

Yeah, what do you want to know about it?

DaJe
12-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, think it would work just as well as the other program suggested?

D1337
12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Remote desktop>vnc. Speed wise.

I don't know how good you'll be able to watch videos, but it will definatly work better if you just record the shows on the second pc then download them off the shared folder onto your first pc.

si-skyline
12-21-2007, 04:34 AM
i think some of us are confussed by what you want.

To swing off the bat. It is not fesiable to remote connect to the tv card computer to watch tv or recordings. So unless vnc dose something i dont then your in the same place if you used remote connect. However you can connect this way to place recording times and to take full control of the desktop. To access files recorded to play back on your machine your best off just putting the files in a share as you normally do. And to watch live telly on your machine from the tv card one them you will need a stream of some sort.

now this is were it gets a bit grey for me xD i know that media center does a similer thing as i think you pointed out before.. but im unsure if its only to manage live tvfrom the media center pc its on and not a remote one...

the other thing other then that what i sugest you can look into is tversity (http://tversity.com/home) (sorry forgot how to attach hyperlinks in with text xD)

i use this for streaming alot of differant media types to some of my home devices including the xbox360 and my phone.. this is the alturnive for using media center.. and will hopefully give youwhat you want..

SgtM
12-21-2007, 04:43 AM
Sorry Daje.. I lost track of this thread. D1337 is right though. RDP is quicker than VNC.

si-skyline
12-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Sorry Daje.. I lost track of this thread. D1337 is right though. RDP is quicker than VNC.

i thought tightvnc was faster then rdp...