PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Issues

The boy 4rm oz
12-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a slight problem my brother is having with his wireless Internet.

When I finally convinced dad to make the change to broadband about mid way this year I convinced dad to get a wireless modem so I would be able to (and in time my brother) would be able to access the Internet from our own computers. Dad gave in and after looking at what modems the ISP provided and after dad talking to the I.T guy at work they chose this one:
Open Networks iConnect 625W
http://www.opennw.com/products/broadband/625w.php
I was straight on the broadband bandwagon and within our first week of our usage I went out and brought my self a wireless card. After some careful research I chose this one purely on brand name reputation (all of these cards do the same thing and are basically the same price):
D-Link AirPlusG
http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=82&PID=109
I set up the home wireless network within half an hour, I networked our new printer and had no problems with my Internet.

I built my brother his first computer for Christmas this year (using dad's money of course ;)). Nothing too flash, just an E6600, 4GB RAM and an 8800GT ;) and last but not least an identical wireless card to mine. The system went together perfectly, Vista installed without a problem and everything was working fine. I installed the wireless card into my brothers new computer and downloaded the new Vista driver and installed it. I connected to the home network and made sure to disable the device from turning off to save power (damn Vista). The Internet connected straight away and worked fine for a while until I started to download the virus protection and Vista updates. The Internet connection just wouldn't stay connected, it kept dropping out and the only way I could get the connection back was to reset the modem.

When I click the diagnose problem button it gives me the error message of "Cannot communicate with primary DNS server (IP address)". I have tried everything to fix this problem. I have googled the issue and all of my searches give me the same advice which just doesn't help. While all of this is happening my Internet connection stays strong. I have thought that my brother may be out of the modems range but I am further away than he is, there may be more interference in his room than mine but I doubt it. I have the TV antenna above my room and haven't had a single problem. Would a after market antenna on my brothers wireless card help? Honestly I am really stuck with this problem so if any of you guys know how to fix it or what might be causing it please let me know.

Thanks.

jdbnsn
12-17-2007, 08:31 AM
I have used the exact same card myself and found that it was tricky getting it to work well at first. If I recall, I think I had to uninstall it and either use strictly windows to configure it rather than using the provided drivers. Either that or the other way around. Try going into wireless network devices and disable "let windows configure..."

The boy 4rm oz
12-17-2007, 08:33 AM
I will try that, just give me a few mins.

EDIT: I will have to try later, my bro is using his comp for the brief time the net is working lol.