PDA

View Full Version : Macbook: Wallstreet

Bopher
12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I had a friend who asked me to look at her Macbook a while ago. I told her I would do my best considering I deal mostly with PCs. Well she decided to buy another laptop and gave me the Wallstreet. I was thinking about fixing it up for my wife to use as a basic internet browser.

She said her boyfriend tried to put Diablo on and everything crashed. When I try to boot it up all I get is a gray screen with a little floppy drive with a question mark on it. I figure that this is a missing operating system or something. I've seen a few people on here have Macs on here and was hoping to get a little insight.

This Macbook has no USB but I was curious, would the system itself run Linux and if so any ideas out there which distro I should download and install. I've wanted to try out Linux but I have no idea where to start. Or would it be easier to get a copy of 7.5 (free at apple.com) and just run the Mac system. Any input is greatly appreciated.

BerticusPryme
12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
yeah i used to have that same model.it will run ubuntu just fine. go to this link http://gonz.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/installing-ubuntu-510-breezy-badger-on-an-old-world-powerbook-g3-wallstreet/
that should help you out and if you need a copy of mac os9 I think i still got my laying around here.

Bopher
12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the offer on OS 9. I think I'll have to take you up on it seems I got no boot discs for the laptop. I'll pay for the shipping if you let me know how much.