PDA

View Full Version : wbr-3406tx wireless router help please

greggoryssmith
12-21-2007, 05:07 AM
ok so here the deal. before i had dsl hooked up to this level one wireless router everything been working fine up until i moved. now we have road runner cable internet and i can't seem to get the router to respond. i used to be able to type this in to the browser: http://192.168.123.254/

and it would let me reconfigure the like wep stuff like that well it wont even respond. so some1 told me to run/comm/ping 192.168.123.254 and there still isnt a response.
:dead:
so then i tried resetting the whole thing and starting from fresh. still can't do nothing. any help? please. cause this works fine hooked directly to my pc, but not by router.

thanks
gs

si-skyline
12-21-2007, 05:27 AM
the address should be printed on the box with the default user name and password.. failing that, try looking for the manual hard copy or on the internet and it should tell you there...

in my own opinion that address for a router looks funny... all the ones iv ever came across normally have the router address at the start of the ip range and not at the back..

SgtM
12-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Easy fix.
MOST cable modems will connect to a device, but when you try and disconnect that first device and then connect it to something else, they don't like it. Why? The MAC (hardware) addresses are different. Easy fix for that. All you have to do is unplug the power from the modem, and then plug it back in.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
A little more compliated
I'm going to assume these things are ok, but I'll mention it anyway.

1. Wan port. Make sure the cable coming out of the modem, goes here.
2. LAN ports. Make sure the cable going to the computer(s) go here.
3. Wireless. Let's leave this out for now. We'll make sure the router is working properly first then, the wireless can be configured.

I wasn't familiar with this router to begin with so, I had to do some google searching. 192.168.123.254 seemed like an odd address, but it's valid, and they actually assigned that by default. Make sure your computer is set up for DHCP, OR (almost better yet) make sure you set it to something in the 192.168.123.0 range. Anything from .1 to .253 would be a valid address. It's a class C network, so your subnet mask is going to be 255.255.255.0, and your gateway will be the router 192.168.123.254. DNS servers. Since you have internet access somewhere now, do a google search for your ISP, and usually in their FAQ section, they usually provide their DNS server addresses (these will be in IP format).

So, by default, the username and password to configure the router is admin. If you want, you can change that, it's up to you, but make sure it's a password you can remember easily so you don't have to reset the router and set everything back up from scratch.

*Now, I don't know what the config screens look like for this router, but you want to make sure the WAN side is setup for DHCP. This will automatcially grab an IP addess from you ISP, and allow your router to communicate with their network via the modem.

*Next, configure the LAN side. For ease of setup, make sure it's setup to serve DHCP. You can always make changes later.

*These are probably setup as the default.

After you check these, everything should be working fine. If not, post back, and I'll see what else we can do.

greggoryssmith
12-21-2007, 12:53 PM
http://download.level1.tw/level1/manual/WBR-3406TX(EN).pdf

manual